Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I would expect dealer / garage applied updates to be road tested rather than by the owner.

Case in point - Porsche has not pushed anything of substance OTA. I wonder what their rationale is.
This is a really odd statement.

Are you suggesting that these OTA updates are right from the engineering lab to the car? Even for what appears to be poor release cycles at Porsche, that's not how any of this works.
Sponsored

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
my point idnt that I prefer a Tesla or another car, it’s that the whole point of e-cars is that if the hardware stays the same, there should be no reason why they can’t stay current from a software perspective aside from Porsche not caring that 2021 and 2020 models were using a beta PCM
I disagree. The whole point of an electric car is to provide a different driving experience based on the use of the electric motors.

Besides, seems the hardware has changed from earlier posts, but I don't know how significant those are.

Where did you read that the 2020 were using a "beta PCM"? I never heard that the PCM was not a production version.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
on the old model S, you can pay $1500 and they will give you a new screen, instrument cluster and a new computer thats faster and more capable. can update a 2013 car to a current software. imagine that porsche!
But all they really need to do on the Tesla is glue a new iPad to the dash, no thanks :CWL:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
This is a really odd statement.

Are you suggesting that these OTA updates are right from the engineering lab to the car? Even for what appears to be poor release cycles at Porsche, that's not how any of this works.
Obviously not - that would be stupid.

Fact remains that major updates (and their application) have led to many issues as the forum will attest to - pushing the same updates via OTA would have been both fool hardy, disastrous and in some instances dangerous. Such updates (we assume) were "thoroughly tested" before hitting any customer car but look what happened...

Pouria

First Name
Pouria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CT4S, had Taycan 4S 2020.
Country flag
It's 2022 for gods sake. I want it to drive as a true drivers car (as it does) AND have a functional and UPDATED PCM. It shouldn't have to be one or the other. We certainly pay to have both Soul and the Brains in these cars.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It's 2022 for gods sake. I want it to drive as a true drivers car (as it does) AND have a functional and UPDATED PCM. It shouldn't have to be one or the other. We certainly pay to have both Soul and the Brains in these cars.
Not only that, but Porsche actively SOLD it as having OTA. And then "OTA but, you know, really actually only at the dealership". Now it's really: no updates short of recalls.

I got on the waitlist when it was first announced. It's really disappointing how they keep breaking promises.

350 -> 300 -> 270 kw charging (really 220kw if you want it to be good for your battery, apparently)

>300 miles of range -> 230 miles of range

OTA -> "OTA at the dealer" -> we are not upgrading old cars. (yes, "we are looking into it". don't hold your breath).

I don't understand folks that start yapping about "driving experience" or "go buy elsewhere". Neither addresses that Porsche set expectations that they are now successively failing to deliver on.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I don't understand folks that start yapping about "driving experience" or "go buy elsewhere". Neither addresses that Porsche set expectations that they are now successively failing to deliver on.
That is well said and spot on!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Expectations are different from final specifications.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Obviously not - that would be stupid.

Fact remains that major updates (and their application) have led to many issues as the forum will attest to - pushing the same updates via OTA would have been both fool hardy, disastrous and in some instances dangerous. Such updates (we assume) were "thoroughly tested" before hitting any customer car but look what happened...
And how would that be different with the absence of OTA?

pEAkfrEAk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S [MY2022]
Country flag
Not only that, but Porsche actively SOLD it as having OTA. And then "OTA but, you know, really actually only at the dealership".
Hey, you can get navigation map updates OTA without driving to your dealer ?? Welcome to the future ?

• Haha
Reactions: sfr

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
And how would that be different with the absence of OTA?
Most of the non-OTA failures occurred at the dealership whilst applying the updates - that’s a BIG difference rather happening at home or worse still on the move after an OTA had completed.

porcha

First Name
H.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have a '22 model year (was delivered in December). Obv. I hope that I can get the new PCM... but I have to say in the list of features/reasons as to why I wanted to buy a Taycan - software OTA updates was not a factor. Yes it is an expectation these days due to the early entrants in the EV world, but it is a Porsche not a Tesla. If great software and OTA updates are essential then you should get a Tesla. If you want a great car to drive - and accept that the software won't be as good as something from a more tech driven manufacturer... then get the Porsche. They are very different cars - and it doesn't appear you can have both (great technology and also a real, authentic driving experience). FWIW - there were also plenty of technology gremlins in my 911 - but I accepted the trade-off without issue (as I do with my Taycan)...

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Most of the non-OTA failures occurred at the dealership whilst applying the updates - that’s a BIG difference rather happening at home or worse still on the move after an OTA had completed.
Those two things aren't necessarily related. In fact, if failures are happening at the dealership and that's your measure, OTA appears has a better track record. What's more likely is that Porsche is using OTA for minor updates, not anything major at all. Case in point the WHM0 update requires an appointment and several hours of S/W updates which translates to several days in the shop.

Again, Porsche may not be good at fixing their software, but OTA isn't automatically a point of risk in the delivery of an update. It's the bug and RCA testing that they are doing before the releases. The dealerships aren't doing any bug/feature confirmation - they are following the guidance in the bulletin. Their measurement of success is a "successfully updated" screen notice, followed by a quick drive around the block, and finally you driving away.

If OTA were a wider issue, Teslas would be bricking or crashing all over the place. They aren't.