Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
Sorry, but I don't believe this will be such stupid plan by Porsche. like: H9J1035140AG(Asian HW), The last char for HW part number stands by "HW small revision", and the 2nd last char is "HW big revision", 3 digits before that was region code, so you can clearly see latest HW big version is "A", and it has been upgrade from C, D, G, H. This is the way how HW development goes. I believe for "old fashion" company like Porsche will follow such kind of traditional development cycle of HW. I don't believe they will dramatically change the HW parts, which have no benefit to them, only big complains from customers.

and besides, as a software engineering guy for 20+ years, I don't believe changing color of icons and install a "Spotify" will need a totally new HW machine...

Stay tuned, I truly believe, most of the existing taycan owner will possibly get new SW upgrade from technical point of view. Maybe older HW(versions before "A") will have some problems from performance point of view. but I think version "A" HW should be totally OK to install new SW.
I’m not sure what you mean by the last number of the part numbers. We have been referencing the first letters in the part number:

2020-2021
9J1 035 070 - Euro with Digital Radio (DAB)
9J1 035 084 - Euro without Digital Radio (DAB)
9J1 035 092 - US with Digital Radio (SatRadio)
9J1 035 136 - US without Digital Radio (SatRadio)

PAD 035 070 - Euro with Digital Radio (DAB)
PAD 035 084 - Euro without Digital Radio (DAB)
PAD 035 092 - US with Digital Radio (SatRadio)
PAD 035 136 - US without Digital Radio (SatRadio)

I’ve spent about 20 years in the automotive industry as an Engineer and the part numbering scheme goes: the revision letters (last digits) represent small design changes that do not effect backward compatibility. But the base part number gets changed when the design change effects fit/form or function to the point it is no longer “drop in” replaceable to the previous version. If the information on this thread is correct they have made a base part number change., not a rev.

It looks like to me (my opinion only) they probably intended in making a 2022 model year change over to the PCM, and most likely because of new component shortages, had to continue to make the previous version until they could get a continuous supply of the new components. When you make a F/F/F change that effects backward compatibility you cannot bounce between 2 part numbers like you can between 2 revs. You get one time to cut over, no go backs.

But I do agree, and believe for customer affinity we will see a software upgrade in the future for the 9J1 hardware because of the 2022 slip in cut in. I think the 20/21 versions will get to benefit from this because of this delayed implementation in creating a MY split. Again just my opinion

BTW, I’ve been on the “decision making” side of this multiple times in my career.
Sponsored

mlambert890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I’m not sure what you mean by the last number of the part numbers. We have been referencing the first letters in the part number:

2020-2021

I’ve spent about 20 years in the automotive industry as an Engineer and the part numbering scheme goes: the revision letters (last digits) represent small design changes that do not effect backward compatibility. But the base part number gets changed when the design change effects fit/form or function to the point it is no longer “drop in” replaceable to the previous version. If the information on this thread is correct they have made a base part number change., not a rev.

It looks like to me (my opinion only) they probably intended in making a 2022 model year change over to the PCM, and most likely because of new component shortages, had to continue to make the previous version until they could get a continuous supply of the new components. When you make a F/F/F change that effects backward compatibility you cannot bounce between 2 part numbers like you can between 2 revs. You get one time to cut over, no go backs.

But I do agree, and believe for customer affinity we will see a software upgrade in the future for the 9J1 hardware because of the 2022 slip in cut in. I think the 20/21 versions will get to benefit from this because of this delayed implementation in creating a MY split. Again just my opinion

BTW, I’ve been on the “decision making” side of this multiple times in my career.
This makes a ton of sense. It might be that they've "fixed performance issues" by moving to significantly improved hardware (PAD), but that doesnt mean the software can't still run (poorly like it does now) on 9J1. I do wonder if the PAD unit can just be dropped in, the way it 100% would be able to if this were a Tesla, but that's wishful thinking I guess. Porsche prob has an integration shitshow going on under the covers. A decent schematic would provide some clues...

xqdong

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD 2022
Country flag

2020-2021

I said same thing as you put on the "revision" for HW versions.

I tried to read previous posts, but are we sure the new HW will have the prefix as "PAD"? This to me is a abnormal change, if it's true, it indicates a massive change on SW and HW.

Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
I said same thing as you put on the "revision" for HW versions.

I tried to read previous posts, but are we sure the new HW will have the prefix as "PAD"? This to me is a abnormal change, if it's true, it indicates a massive change on SW and HW.
yes the “PAD” part number change has been verified many times. The VIN number I received today also has the new part number when searching a parts list.

Porsche Taycan ? PCM 6 Update Announcement [Update: Retrofit Being Explored For Existing Taycans] B7A42AC8-D8E1-46AF-A3AC-0C0BFA2C915C

Tim_G

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S Diesel
Country flag
You guys realize that the first characters of an automotive part number indicate the platform for which the part exist right? 9J1 is the Taycan platform. Could very well be that they just changed the platform name since it shares so much parts with the Audi Etron GT. PAD -> Porsche Audi….

xqdong

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD 2022
Country flag
You guys realize that the first characters of an automotive part number indicate the platform for which the part exist right? 9J1 is the Taycan platform. Could very well be that they just changed the platform name since it shares so much parts with the Audi Etron GT. PAD -> Porsche Audi….
Love this comments.

Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
If it was just a nomenclature only change there would be no reason to coordinate the software change with it. But it would be interesting to see if the hardware change just had to do with the release of a new module that would be common with Audi. And there was no real tech improvements at all.
Over the last 2 years we have made changes to the design of hardware that actually had no improvement (some worst) at all but we’re just to use components that were more available and cheaper.
The ones getting PAD may find we’re regretting that in the future…

Dr.M.

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s Cross Turismo, 911 4S cabrio
Country flag
This is what I received from Porsche Connect:

'Thank you for your enquiry dated 15th of February 2022 and for your interest in our range of Porsche Connect Services.

We can confirm that the last update is available for your Taycan 4S Cross Turismo (PCM is 6.0 - Cluster 33): "service campaign WMA5/WMA6".'

So it seems that Porsche will take care of this PCM update.​

pEAkfrEAk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S [MY2022]
Country flag

'Thank you for your enquiry dated 15th of February 2022 and for your interest in our range of Porsche Connect Services.

We can confirm that the last update is available for your Taycan 4S Cross Turismo (PCM is 6.0 - Cluster 33): "service campaign WMA5/WMA6".'

WMA5/WMA are old service campaigns and have nothing todo with the new "coloured icons" PCM software ;) ?

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/wma5-wma6-updates-spring-2021.4160/post-57235

sfr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4s MY 2021
Country flag

Which MY do you own ?

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
I also like to better understand that!
Came across this PAD prefix when googling for the 2022 race tex lower B pillar trims replacing stock
9j1 867 240 b 1e0.
My best guess would be PAD meaning something like shared with Audi?

The PCM6 hardware is pretty much the same as built in millions of VAG cars, called MIB3 in different flavours as being called premium in Etron-GT and Taycan.

you can google for some more detailed info with Audis SSPs:
Third-generation modular infotainment matrix Self-study programme SSP 679
I still guess this is true: PAD means sth. like generic / reference/ shared part number.

Any pro dealing with parts should be aware there are generic part numbers that finally translate to more specific ones and not all part numbers are easily accessible to the public without PETx and special knowledge or PPN.
In the VAG world are many old examples e.g. part 1K0907951 is a generic shared ID for many CAN Gateway ECUs.

Searching for PAD.XYZ.... parts you will also find the tire air compressor, emergency ECU, interior air ionization decive etc. Nothing which is an indicator for new hardware, only for shared parts and a new nomenclature.

Ambroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (RWD)
Country flag
I threw an older 2022 Taycan VIN (random dealer stock) into Partslink24 and it still shows up as the PAD part. I'm pretty sure the PAD part is just a rename for the 9J1 part at this point.

MIB updates have always been a mess anyway. On MIB2 the group switched from Nvidia to Qualcomm processors at some point, and then offered an update to keep Google Earth working only for the cars with Qualcomm hardware. Other people have figured out that you can manually flash the update with an SD card to Nvidia MIB2 anyway and it works perfectly, but Audi refuses to do it.

They're just not good at managing software versions and hardware revisions. We won't know until it actually happens if an update will be possible because there's no logic to it. It's some person at Porsche deciding to invest in it or not.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Frankly I don't care about colored icons, but I am overall really pissed about what feels like the end of the line when I've only had my car for about 18 months. Porsche think they want to charge me $30/month at some point for connected services on a car that they essentially abandoned after less than two years in my garage? Feels like time to seriously think about selling the car...
I agree, but then what? Buy a LUCID and hope for a better outcome? :cool:

SHM

First Name
oOo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Frankly I don't care about colored icons, but I am overall really pissed about what feels like the end of the line when I've only had my car for about 18 months. Porsche think they want to charge me $30/month at some point for connected services on a car that they essentially abandoned after less than two years in my garage? Feels like time to seriously think about selling the car...
yeah, think about people who got "2022" models in 2021 (like late december etc). They are just weeks old still.
Sponsored