First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche 928S
Country flag
PCM Display Failure (Both Displays).

One day the PCM was working perfectly and when I started to drive the next, both displays were dark. Occasionally, the displays would flicker on/off (upper and lower independently) but they kept going dark after a matter of seconds. The functionality was still there, as I was able to change the temperature and radio stations using verbal commands, but with a dark display, operation the car's controls were extremely limited.

I brought my car to the dealer (in Southern California) one week ago to have the problem serviced. After three days, the service writer told me that the mechanic believed that the PCM computer needed to be replaced; however, the replacement of the PCM would require special authorization from Porsche. Further, he did not know if the part was available or had to be shipped from Germany. The next day he called to tell me that Porsche had denied the authorization request to replace the PCM computer as they believed that it was a wiring problem (a loose connector, pinched wire, etc.) and instructed the shop to diagnose the problem further before an authorization would be granted.

Frankly, I'm concerned that they do not know what is causing the problem or how to fix it. I'll post updates to this forum when I know more about the solution to the problem and how long it takes to solve it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GaryT

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Kevin2dx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 McLaren 720S
Country flag
Yes, I was able to drive because the display behind the steering wheel was operating normally.
Since Porsche mentioned it might be some loose connector, do you recall any event between when it was working and when it stopped working that would’ve caused this to happen? (E.g Hitting a speed bump, etc.)

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
PCM Display Failure (Both Displays).
The next day he called to tell me that Porsche had denied the authorization request to replace the PCM computer as they believed that it was a wiring problem (a loose connector, pinched wire, etc.) and instructed the shop to diagnose the problem further before an authorization would be granted.
The working cockpit display and voice function lends credence to the Porsche conclusion the computer is ok. But still a surprising decision on their part in such a new vehicle.

OP
OP
GaryT

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Since Porsche mentioned it might be some loose connector, do you recall any event between when it was working and when it stopped working that would’ve caused this to happen? (E.g Hitting a speed bump, etc.)
No, nothing happened that I am aware of. When I parked it in my garage it was working. When I started it the next morning it was not.

2Goldens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Volcano Grey
Country flag
Yikes!!

my big complaints In the PCM area are (i) radio favorites don’t remain on PCM when you exit; so, when starting, you have to go to media/favorites to get favorites to again appear. realize that I can give voice instruction, but I’m used to touching the station. noted elsewhere that this is a long time complaint with the folks in Zuffenhausen.

(ii) radio is FM only. have an HD-2 all news AM station that has great traffic coverage here, but haven’t figured out how to add to favorites. manual says HD-2 can be loaded, but this appears to be alternative facts. any suggestions are welcome.

it’s a terrific ride!!

OP
OP
GaryT

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update:
After 9 days at the shop with the mechanic trying to find a phantom wiring problem, my service writer told me yesterday that he received approval from Porsche to replace the PCM module. That's the good news, the bad news is that the part had to be ordered from Germany and it will the at least a week to get it to Los Angeles (Hasn't Porsche ever heard of Fed Ex or DHL?).

Assuming the part arrives in one week, it takes a day or two to put the car back together, and it is actually the source of the problem, my car will have spent 3 weeks in the shop with much of that time wasted because Porsche failed to stock the part domestically or ship it via overnight delivery.

While I love the car in every other way, I'm not happy about the time iits been in the shop (it was previously in the shop for 3 weeks to replace the left charging port) and I'm getting very frustrated.

Has anybody else experienced PCM failures? Please provide details.

rsolis

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2021, Alpina B7 2019, BMW X5 2019
Country flag
Update:
After 9 days at the shop with the mechanic trying to find a phantom wiring problem, my service writer told me yesterday that he received approval from Porsche to replace the PCM module. That's the good news, the bad news is that the part had to be ordered from Germany and it will the at least a week to get it to Los Angeles (Hasn't Porsche ever heard of Fed Ex or DHL?).

Assuming the part arrives in one week, it takes a day or two to put the car back together, and it is actually the source of the problem, my car will have spent 3 weeks in the shop with much of that time wasted because Porsche failed to stock the part domestically or ship it via overnight delivery.

While I love the car in every other way, I'm not happy about the time iits been in the shop (it was previously in the shop for 3 weeks to replace the left charging port) and I'm getting very frustrated.

Has anybody else experienced PCM failures? Please provide details.
I have the same problem. Both central and passenger display are be not working (black). Still waiting for a solution at the dealer. I bought the car 2 months ago.

• Wow
Reactions: B61
OP
OP
GaryT

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have the same problem. Both central and passenger display are be not working (black). Still waiting for a solution at the dealer. I bought the car 2 months ago.
2 Months ago! That is outrageous. What are they telling you? Have you demanded that they replace the car?
Sponsored