retinadoc

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Am I the only one that has issues with the slowness of the pcm to load and the 1 out of 10 times where the pcm just doesn't want to load and you get the circle of death? My dealer says I should allow 5-7 minutes for the pcm to start up which seems ridiculous.

OP
OP

retinadoc

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Mine is listed by I am not optimistic it will solve the issue. When people ask if I would buy a taycan again I’m not sure what to say. I like the driving experience but I hate the pcm which is a big issue. Esch time I get in the car you never know if the radio or Bluetooth will connect. And if it does connect will I be halfway to work before the music will play or my phone will connect. Also never know when your preset radios stations will disappear.

JTW

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My experience, too. Not sure how much is Apple CarPlay and what is Porsche PCM's fault. If radio station was on last time in car, it will come on with re-entry but then cuts off after 30-45 seconds. Totally random coinflip on whether my cellphone or Apple Music comes on with re-starting.

Ambroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (RWD)
Country flag
If it happens, an engineering menu reboot helps. (Hold two fingers next to each other horizontally in the top right corner of the main PCM screen, within a second or two the reboot into engineering menu starts. In there, select reboot to normal mode and give it 2-3 minutes.)

OP
OP

retinadoc

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
I’m unfortunately familiar with the reboot. Just not sure why it should take so long to boot up when it works and why it locks up with such frequency. My wife has a Tesla and the radio is on as soon as you get in the vehicle.

Ambroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (RWD)
Country flag
I’m unfortunately familiar with the reboot. Just not sure why it should take so long to boot up when it works and why it locks up with such frequency. My wife has a Tesla and the radio is on as soon as you get in the vehicle.
Oh yeah it shouldn't be necessary, the software is terrible. I end up doing 1-2 engineering menu reboots per week because it's so bad.

I do think the software in recall ANA6 will help at least a bit.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
My dealer says I should allow 5-7 minutes for the pcm to start up which seems ridiculous.
Yes, rediculous.

Am I the only one that has issues with the slowness of the pcm to load and the 1 out of 10 times where the pcm just doesn't want to load and you get the circle of death?
When I first got my Taycan, 1/3 of the time I would start a new drive I would see the loading message for a minute or so, an error connecting to my phone or a problem loading CarPlay. But after bringing my car in for the WNA5 update (which should not have anything to do with the PCM), it’s been pretty much 100% reliable and the PCM starts in a few seconds.
Others have posted here on this forum that the WNA5 update required a reboot of the car, not just the PCM. I don’t know for sure but the PCM and CarPlay are now working properly.

QueenBean

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Polestar 2, Rubicon 4xe, F-Pace
Country flag
Yup, seems to be the nature of the beast for my PCM as well. Waiting on CarPlay and stability of CarPlay is quite frustrating, especially when I reach my destination before it connects.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yes, rediculous.

When I first got my Taycan, 1/3 of the time I would start a new drive I would see the loading message for a minute or so, an error connecting to my phone or a problem loading CarPlay. But after bringing my car in for the WNA5 update (which should not have anything to do with the PCM), it’s been pretty much 100% reliable and the PCM starts in a few seconds.
Others have posted here on this forum that the WNA5 update required a reboot of the car, not just the PCM. I don’t know for sure but the PCM and CarPlay are now working properly.
12v battery disconnect / reconnect may clear the issue(s) if not already done so. Car needs a hard reboot of all 12v systems rather than a soft one of the PCM in isolation.

AlexR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (on order), BMW X5, Golf GTE
Country flag
5-7 minutes?! 2022 is up and running instantly.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
5-7 minutes?! 2022 is up and running instantly.
I agree. My CT 2022 with the colored icons PCM starts up quickly within seconds. I think they did an important update. But this is not very much help for OP. Only thing that takes time is starting Apple Music. Can take a goed minutes before it shows my library and starts playing. Same for podcast. Probably a slow dara connection.

AlexR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (on order), BMW X5, Golf GTE
Country flag
I agree. My CT 2022 with the colored icons PCM starts up quickly within seconds. I think they did an important update. But this is not very much help for OP. Only thing that takes time is starting Apple Music. Can take a goed minutes before it shows my library and starts playing. Same for podcast. Probably a slow dara connection.
Agreed, was a very unhelpful comment! Spotify is not super reliable but that is only gripe. I also noticed the treble/bass changes do reset from time to time as has been reported elsewhere. Minor stuff

OP
OP

retinadoc

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
So maybe when they fix the recall there is hope for improvement.! When people ask me about purchasing a taycan I usually say because of the pcm issues I would look for another vehicle.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Agreed, was a very unhelpful comment! Spotify is not super reliable but that is only gripe. I also noticed the treble/bass changes do reset from time to time as has been reported elsewhere. Minor stuff
Sorry wasn’t really to your comment. Maybe we should interpret it as: they know how to do it now and they should have done a better job before.
Mine does the same with Bose. Didn’t notice until a couple of days ago when I saw it somewhere over here. I now have to go to Bose quite often. I have set Bose on the second Home Screen to acces it easier.
Sponsored