PEC ATL delivery then returning to CT via charging network too risky?

OP
OP
Jenner

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
25? Tesla Roadster/22 Tesla MYP/21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Last July I did round trip from northern NJ to Savannah, GA. I did 4 charging stops on each way without any single problem.
I did PEC ATL delivery and recommend it highly. EA can be frustrating, but the east coast EV corridor is well built out and I wouldn't hesitate to do it.
he doesn't know what he is talking about. I have done the trip many times in EVs, at least 3 times in my taycan
Great to hear from all of you thank you!

For all saying stone chips and PPF I have already done this several times before with ICE Porsche's. I bring a large roll of temp PPF with me on the plane and apply it in the PEC garage before I leave. Not my first rodeo! :cool:
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
personally, I wouldn’t make the trip out of concern for getting damage while driving through an unfamiliar area. For major highway miles, I would want extensive ppf coverage.
what kind of damages are you concerned about?

OP
OP
Jenner

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
you can drive down to FL and take the auto train up to VA.
Great tip as well! I totally forgot about this and may end up doing this for a change of scenery and pace.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
you can drive down to FL and take the auto train up to VA.
this is a poor choice,
the auto train depot is in Sanford FL.
ATL to sanford FL is almost 500 miles in the wrong direction.
the entire trip from ATL to CT is 950 miles.

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
I'm not sure but IIRC, isn't it possible to do the PEC and then (with the car still in PCNA's hands) have the car transported to your dealer for final delivery?

If you think you will enjoy the road trip, then go for it, but if you have doubts about delivery date and a first run journey playing Electrify America roulette, perhaps you could take the enjoyment of the PEC with subsequent dealership delivery, then plan a road trip of your choosing from home base afterwards.

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
We drove our 21 4S from Fort Lauderdale to Washington DC last spring with no problems. We had 5 charging stops, all on EA. All EA locations were at Walmart or Sam’s Club locations and generally within a couple of miles of I95. Having the chargers near stores was convenient as they have restrooms and you can, of course, grab a drink or a snack. The only real issue with the EA locations were the frequency of ID4, Mach-E, etc. that were using the 350 chargers leaving only the 150 chargers open. We never had to wait for a charger, but some of the locations were pretty fully occupied. The capacity needs to go up substantially as more EVs are sold (plus a lot of locals use the EA chargers either because they have free plans for the first few years, or don‘t have ready access to charge at home).

We used the AutoTrain for the trip from DC to FLL. That went well with no damage to the car, but the car got very dirty as I think it rained during the trip down and a lot of the accumulated dust/grime from the enclosed car carrier ended up on the paint. The AutoTrain is a good option when it is on schedule, which, is the exception not the rule. When on time you leave around 5 pm (either direction) and arrive around 9 am the next morning. So, much of the trip you are asleep, assuming you can sleep on the train, the ride is very rough in many places. But, when the train is late the ride feels interminable. The train was about 5 hours late for our return trip to DC, so we cancelled and drove instead. We arrived home about 12 hours before the train arrived at the station in Lorton VA. Note even if the train is late you still have to give them your car by around 2:30 pm. So, with a 5 hour delay you end up in the waiting area at the station for 7-8 hours.

I agree that the AutoTrain is not a good option for returning to the NE from Atlanta.

OP
OP
Jenner

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
ATL to sanford FL is almost 500 miles in the wrong direction.
the entire trip from ATL to CT is 950 miles.
I didn't have the time yet to get far enough to discover this for myself. Thanks for saving me the time!

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
.The only real issue with the EA locations were the frequency of ID4, Mach-E, etc. that were using the 350 chargers leaving only the 150 chargers open.
It's a good thing that Electrify America are updating their signage to eliminate this confusion. Now we shall have: 'Ultrafast' and 'Hyperfast' in shades of bluish green and greenish blue. So our max-150kW colorblind EV novice friends will know exactly where to plug in. Sigh.

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Your trip is a no brainer! Yes, there can be issues at EA stations, but you will not be left stranded. The PCM charging planner in the Taycan works fine, but use ABRP in advance to give you a game plan. I have had my Taycan 4 CT for a year and it has over 16K miles. I live in Richmond VA and have done trips to the following locations using EA chargers:

Cincinnati Ohio - in December with 17 degrees temperatures
Amelia Island Florida
Poconos PA
Bristol Va
Harrisburg Va

I would not hesitate driving the Taycan to most anywhere. And yes your first road trip with be filled with some range anxiety, but you will be fine.

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm not sure about all these risk adverse people - it's not driving across bloody India!

I took a roll of temp ppf on the plane. Applied it in the garage at PEC Atlanta.
It's such a great experience there as you say.
I had zero troubles driving back north to Cincinnati area. Three simple charges. They are well spaced out for such a trip.

Go for it. It's an adventure
Sponsored