outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Why would most people in the rest of the world send a car to the west coast of the USA to have it fixed? In Europe there is even the Porsche factory.
Well, I’d think the factory makes cars, it doesn’t fix cars. The factory workers are not mechanics, nor trained to be mechanics.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AV7

AV7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I didn’t spec the faux sound in my Taycan order after trying it when I had a demo since the fact that it is really responsive and quick without the noise which goes with it in my Ferrari was one of the things that I appreciated most about the Taycan.
Good job we aren’t all the same :)
I would jest that because you have a Ferrari (which arguably has the best noise) is why you appreciate the lack of noise 😉

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Well, I’d think the factory makes cars, it doesn’t fix cars. The factory workers are not mechanics, nor trained to be mechanics.
Yes but what is it about a place that fixes cars on the west coast of the USA which would make somebody racing a GT3 in a European series ship a car half way across the world to have it fixed when there are plenty of shops that could do it in Europe? Most of the road racing series are based in Europe and there are dozens of expert Porsche racing shops people use, it makes no sense to use a shop in the US.

The whole of the USA or whole of North America I could maybe accept, the whole of the world is not credible to me.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Lol I mentioned the word 'lag' during my drive and it did not go down well.
I noticed that comment.
I have yet to drive any turbo car which I consider acceptably responsive And lag is the problem.
Actually a hybrid can resolve the problem using the instant response of the electric motor to fill in the “hole” whilst boost builds up.
It is like that on F1 cars, for example.

Reactions: AV7

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
@AV7 awesome write up.

How was the trip from San Diego to PEC LA?

I was in San Diego for a week last month and almost scheduled a PEC LA session, but ended up not as I wasn’t sure I really had time and was worried about traffic and getting there. They also didn’t have the car I wanted (it’s available in ATL though, so I might still do that later this year).

OP
OP
AV7

AV7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
@AV7 awesome write up.

How was the trip from San Diego to PEC LA?

I was in San Diego for a week last month and almost scheduled a PEC LA session, but ended up not as I wasn’t sure I really had time and was worried about traffic and getting there. They also didn’t have the car I wanted (it’s available in ATL though, so I might still do that later this year).
Porsche Taycan PEC LA - Taycan Turbo S v 911 Turbo S experience Screenshot_20220728-063644_My Porsche
No issues with the trip, started at 100%, first time charged to 100% (no particular reason, just wanted to see what the range would be at 100% = 268 miles). Drove in normal mode, normal driving with regular AC use. No real traffic, had other passengers so used the HOV lane most of the time.

Porsche Taycan PEC LA - Taycan Turbo S v 911 Turbo S experience Screenshot_20220728-063644_My Porsche

I hope you get a chance to visit either LA or ATL, what I didn't mention in my earlier post is that you really get a new level of appreciation for these cars after the experience.

OP
OP
AV7

AV7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Yes but what is it about a place that fixes cars on the west coast of the USA which would make somebody racing a GT3 in a European series ship a car half way across the world to have it fixed when there are plenty of shops that could do it in Europe? Most of the road racing series are based in Europe and there are dozens of expert Porsche racing shops people use, it makes no sense to use a shop in the US.

The whole of the USA or whole of North America I could maybe accept, the whole of the world is not credible to me.
The instructor was not able to divulge too many details about the cars in the shop but did state that there was one there from Australia.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No issues with the trip, started at 100%, first time charged to 100% (no particular reason, just wanted to see what the range would be at 100% = 268 miles). Drove in normal mode, normal driving with regular AC use. No real traffic, had other passengers so used the HOV lane most of the time.

I hope you get a chance to visit either LA or ATL, what I didn't mention in my earlier post is that you really get a new level of appreciation for these cars after the experience.
Oh wow, I was thinking it was on the East side of LA for some reason. We drove right by there actually. We headed up to Santa Barbara for 2 days and drove along the coast to get there (took us 8 hours though…).

I did PEC ATL last year. It’s an awesome experience everyone should try if they’re haven’t.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/8-hours-at-pec-atlanta-experience-a-review.6386/

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
The instructor was not able to divulge too many details about the cars in the shop but did state that there was one there from Australia.
Maybe he meant Austin Texas? Sounds like a little bit of BS from the instructor/salesman.

As Frank said, I think there is rather a lot of experience and expertise in supercar/race car manufacture/servicing/racing etc outside of the US. So while I've no doubt they know their eggs, I also think it's pretty unlikely too many owners from around the world would be putting their cars on a boat/plane to get it looked at in the States.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
PEC in Atlanta also does restorations and repairs. When I was there a few years ago collecting my GT3, they were restoring a 964 turbo and a 356.

OP
OP
AV7

AV7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Oh wow, I was thinking it was on the East side of LA for some reason. We drove right by there actually. We headed up to Santa Barbara for 2 days and drove along the coast to get there (took us 8 hours though…).

I did PEC ATL last year. It’s an awesome experience everyone should try if they’re haven’t.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/8-hours-at-pec-atlanta-experience-a-review.6386/
Not on the east side at all, similar to the Disney trips in Anaheim (just about 10-15 mins longer) made throughout the year (kids). Yes would definately recommend visiting a PEC. Actually was also looking at the Young Driver Experience for my daughter (I really like the skills you learn during the experience).

I am assuming Highway 1 for your Santa Barbara trip - it takes a while but totally worth it.

Thanks for linking your experience, a great read!

OP
OP
AV7

AV7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Maybe he meant Austin Texas? Sounds like a little bit of BS from the instructor/salesman.

As Frank said, I think there is rather a lot of experience and expertise in supercar/race car manufacture/servicing/racing etc outside of the US. So while I've no doubt they know their eggs, I also think it's pretty unlikely too many owners from around the world would be putting their cars on a boat/plane to get it looked at in the States.
He definately said Australia. I wanted to get more info on this and this is what I found:

The new complex is also home to Porsche Motorsport North America (PMNA), the only authorized sales, parts, and service provider in the United States and Canada for all purpose-built Porsche race cars such as the 911 GT3 Cup, 911 GT3 R, and the Cayman GT4 Clubsport. PMNA also provides engine and transmission servicing, on-site race support at multiple international racing series, and certain restoration services. A glass wall inside the atrium of the new Porsche Experience Center provides visitors with a clear view into the Porsche Motorsport North America workshop, where historic race cars are repaired, track vehicles are maintained, and race cars from owners and collectors are exhibited
https://businessfacilities.com/2016/11/60m-porsche-experience-center-opens-in-los-angeles/

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
He definately said Australia. I wanted to get more info on this and this is what I found:

https://businessfacilities.com/2016/11/60m-porsche-experience-center-opens-in-los-angeles/
It does sound weird.
USA and Canada I can understand. Maybe in Australia they can't deal with some of the racing cars, but IME Australian mechanics are some of the best in the world, when I started in Formula 1 Australian and New Zealand mechanics were in great demand.
In Europe there are plenty of expert racing shops, certainly in UK, France and Germany.

Maybe the guy was having an excessivly "proud" moment ;)

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am assuming Highway 1 for your Santa Barbara trip - it takes a while but totally worth it.
Yes, until around Malibu or so when we couldn’t take it anymore and switched to a faster route. 8 hours drive time.

Only like 3.5 on the way back taking other regular highways though.
Sponsored