SlyStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Tesla Model X Pld, '24 GLS450
Country flag
I optioned the Variable Light Control roof on my '22 GTS saloon, which I received in June. When I ordered the car, my dealer didn't think Porsche would accept the VLC option as there were notices of material shortages...but luckily no issues or delays.

I really can't think of any negatives. It's easily the biggest wow factor for everyone who's seen my car. There's just nothing like this on the road today, or really anywhere for that matter (the closest thing I can think of are the windows on the newer Boeing and Airbus jumbo jets which have buttons to make the window clear or opaque...but it's done with a special kind of gas in-between the panes).

If I'm being as critical as possible, when in "clear mode" there's a slight cloudy view, almost like a vague white haze. Though I feel like it's brighter than the standard pano roof, which is heavily tinted. Also, onthe home dashboard widget, you can click and drag to open/close the VLC roof...and there are two quick buttons for the alternating panels...i just wish there were quick buttons for "clear" and "matte"

"Matte" mode is fantastic. The cabin is more brightly lit than the standard pano roof, yet you can still look directly at the sun. My kids always say "look dad, a blood moon!"

The controls are easy and intuitive. There's a fixed button for the VLC on the bottom of the lower screen. You can also configure one of the 3 sections in the home dashboard to be the VLC settings.

Some pictures and video below.

Porsche Taycan Per request, a mini review of the Variable Light Control VLC roof Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 10.53.50 AM

Porsche Taycan Per request, a mini review of the Variable Light Control VLC roof Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 10.54.17 AM

Porsche Taycan Per request, a mini review of the Variable Light Control VLC roof Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 10.54.32 AM

Here are two images showing direct view of sun, with and without "matte" mode
Porsche Taycan Per request, a mini review of the Variable Light Control VLC roof Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 10.57.04 AM

Blood Moon!
Porsche Taycan Per request, a mini review of the Variable Light Control VLC roof Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 10.57.16 AM

Porsche Taycan Per request, a mini review of the Variable Light Control VLC roof Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 11.03.58 AM

EJM22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
So cool! I optioned this on my ‘23 RWD. Thanks for the pics bc I haven’t been able to see it in person.

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Looks awesome. BMW IX has something similar.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Thanks for sharing. I like the concept of it. I will probably go for it in the next gen of this feature. I’d like to be able to use more of a variable dimming feature instead of the pattern effect.

OP
OP
SlyStyle

SlyStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for sharing. I like the concept of it. I will probably go for it in the next gen of this feature. I’d like to be able to use more of a variable dimming feature instead of the pattern effect.
Yeah I feel like the two patterned options have no real use. I think Porsche added them just because they could.

It'd be more practical to have "front half"and "rear half". You can manually do front half by dragging it halfway and stopping, but it's not possible to do rear half only.

Maybe a future software update enhances the VLC settings a bit.

OP
OP
SlyStyle

SlyStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just realized that my video isn't playing back in Firefox browser. Probably the same for Chrome. It works on safari (Mac and iOS)

Clod Reed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune blue Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I optioned the Variable Light Control roof on my '22 GTS saloon, which I received in June. When I ordered the car, my dealer didn't think Porsche would accept the VLC option as there were notices of material shortages...but luckily no issues or delays.

I really can't think of any negatives. It's easily the biggest wow factor for everyone who's seen my car. There's just nothing like this on the road today, or really anywhere for that matter (the closest thing I can think of are the windows on the newer Boeing and Airbus jumbo jets which have buttons to make the window clear or opaque...but it's done with a special kind of gas in-between the panes).

If I'm being as critical as possible, when in "clear mode" there's a slight cloudy view, almost like a vague white haze. Though I feel like it's brighter than the standard pano roof, which is heavily tinted. Also, onthe home dashboard widget, you can click and drag to open/close the VLC roof...and there are two quick buttons for the alternating panels...i just wish there were quick buttons for "clear" and "matte"

"Matte" mode is fantastic. The cabin is more brightly lit than the standard pano roof, yet you can still look directly at the sun. My kids always say "look dad, a blood moon!"

The controls are easy and intuitive. There's a fixed button for the VLC on the bottom of the lower screen. You can also configure one of the 3 sections in the home dashboard to be the VLC settings.

Some pictures and video below.

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 10.53.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 10.54.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 10.54.32 AM.png

Here are two images showing direct view of sun, with and without "matte" mode
Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 10.57.04 AM.png

Blood Moon!
Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 10.57.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 11.03.58 AM.png

Thank you Slystyle for taken the time out to share this ….I have the VLC optioned and your review has reassured me that having it is the way to go😉
A great option

Deleted member 7736

Looks very cool. Thanks for posting.

The regular pano roof is sometimes too bright for me, depending on the position of the sun, so this would definitely drive me crazy unless it was tinted, but it's cool to see.

TXSchnee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Cayenne E Hybrid, ‘23 Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
So, I removed this option from my 4S CT for 1 reason, and it is the cost to replace these. I also have a BMW iX M60 on order, it comes standard with this type of panoramic roof, although it is either clear or opaque. A person on a FB group for the iX took a rock to the roof, it is cracked fully across $17,000 to replace and a 2 month wait (this is US pricing). I really wanted it, but not with those wait times and replacement costs.

• Wow
Reactions: B61

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This was the one option I really wish I had, but at the time, it was not available yet. I think the regular glass panel lets too much light in, and the solid roof doesn't let in any so the VLC option makes it a perfect median. There's one other negative with it is the substantial cost to fix it once it breaks. I tend to keep my cars for a long time (10 yrs) and I don't think this VLC glass would last that long. I think the technology is similar to the auto dimming mirrors, and I have had those break on me well before the 10 years period.

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
SlyStyle

SlyStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Looks very cool. Thanks for posting.

The regular pano roof is sometimes too bright for me, depending on the position of the sun, so this would definitely drive me crazy unless it was tinted, but it's cool to see.
Nice thing is that the car remembers your last setting.

I also love that the roof goes matte/opaque automatically when you turn off the car. I think this helps keep the cabin cooler when parked outside.

mod72346

First Name
Mod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2021
Country flag
Seeing how it's all milky white, it makes me not want it. What I would want it is to darken, not whiten.

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
I’m curious if there are any concerns with further tinting the VLC roof due to the heat the liquid crystals would reach. Any warnings against that in the owners manual @SlyStyle ?
Sponsored