Perfect car with a very bad / dangerous backup camera

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Im sorry but how is this thread helping anyone?
I think it's OK for people to just share their experience and opinion, without it immediately and explicitly being about helping somebody else.

In fact, the opinion/experience itself is useful to both people considering the car (they can figure out whether or not this particular opinion is relevant and speaks for or against the car) and those dealing with the same issue ("oh good, I'm not the only one").

Also, we don't jump on people if they just have a positive "I love this car" - why would we censure people just because they encountered something negative?

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I think it's OK for people to just share their experience and opinion, without it immediately and explicitly being about helping somebody else.

In fact, the opinion/experience itself is useful to both people considering the car (they can figure out whether or not this particular opinion is relevant and speaks for or against the car) and those dealing with the same issue ("oh good, I'm not the only one").

Also, we don't jump on people if they just have a positive "I love this car" - why would we censure people just because they encountered something negative?
I completely agree. But, how on earth is a "HEY PORSCHE FIX THIS ASAP" thread useful? It is about a topic that has been talked about extensively on the forum. The search function works like a charm. If 6 word threads are a good thing to you and others, then I'm in the wrong forum.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
I disagree. I don't like bitching in real life, and I don't like it on forums, either. I always figured it was a cultural trait I inherited from my immigrant mother, but she's Danish, soo...

As regards prospective buyers, information about flaws is indeed valuable, but there isn't any of that here. All we've learned is that OP hates the backup camera. We don't know why he hates it or what changes he wants to see. There's nothing here to help a prospective buyer make an informed decision about the car. That car shopper would've gotten more information the moment he put the car in reverse on a test drive.

With all that said, I wonder why OP thinks the backup camera is dangerous? It certainly forces me to reverse more slowly than I think I should have to, both because it's very easy to outdrive the camera and because objects tend to "jump" into view in a way that makes them look like they are moving. That's lame and annoying, but I'm not sure I see dangerous.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I completely agree. But, how on earth is a "HEY PORSCHE FIX THIS ASAP" thread useful? It is about a topic that has been talked about extensively on the forum. The search function works like a charm. If 6 word threads are a good thing to you and others, then I'm in the wrong forum.
All good points.

All I'm saying: OP has <5 posts and might just not realize that this works best for all of us if we just try a search or two first. Or maybe this was meant more as a casual comment/vent/rant, in which case it probably belongs in the lounge area and they put it in the wrong forum...

Either way, while this is perhaps a good example of a relatively content-light post, rather than come up with rules as to when to bash a post vs. just ignore vs. engage in discussion, I'd rather give OP the benefit of doubt.

(And if you find the magical forum that is just strictly high quality posts, please do let me know :))

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I disagree. I don't like bitching in real life, and I don't like it on forums, either. I always figured it was a cultural trait I inherited from my immigrant mother, but she's Danish, soo...

As regards prospective buyers, information about flaws is indeed valuable, but there isn't any of that here. All we've learned is that OP hates the backup camera. We don't know why he hates it or what changes he wants to see. There's nothing here to help a prospective buyer make an informed decision about the car. That car shopper would've gotten more information the moment he put the car in reverse on a test drive.

With all that said, I wonder why OP thinks the backup camera is dangerous? It certainly forces me to reverse more slowly than I think I should have to, both because it's very easy to outdrive the camera and because objects tend to "jump" into view in a way that makes them look like they are moving. That's lame and annoying, but I'm not sure I see dangerous.
I think it's fine to tolerate people bitching. Many forums build a community that is also about people hanging out and they sometimes also just have to have a place to vent. There's plenty of posts on here where people share their bad experiences with porsche service or something else and we don't jump on them and tell them to take it elsewhere. (IMHO, nor should we -just my 2c )

It's easy enough to ignore.

As for your question...I have no idea what happened to OP specifically, But after what I experience a few weeks ago, I don't think it's super far fetched that they might have experienced something they felt was dangerous.

Here's me backing out of a parking spot in a parking structure at night.

Porsche Taycan Perfect car with a very bad / dangerous backup camera IMG_0024 (1)

That white blur in the top center is hiding a Volvo XC90 (not the black car slightly to the left, there's another one right behind me). I started backing out right into their path because of the lag in the camera, and the white blur that is the Volvo replaced a different white blur that is a street light that is also straight behind me. I checked my mirrors to make sure I was far enough from the pillar on my right and finally saw the SUV. No harm no foul and all that - just a surprise.

The distortion is weird and IMHO sometimes distance is hard to judge. There can be substantial lag. The contrast at night is bad, and for some reason water on it REALLY messes with visibility.

To be clear: I would not have called it dangerous, just close to useless at night in the rain
.But from that experience, I could see that under different conditions it might have been worse. Say maybe, if I'd been backing onto a road with faster traffic.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
What if I told you…cars used to have no backup camera at all?
Ah, love those types of arguments. Perhaps you should turn off ABS, the airbags, and also unfasten your seat belt. Personally, I prefer progress.

These cameras are mandatory for a reason. There were a lot of avoidable accidents...

Also, cars are increasingly designed with that in mind - or else the designers have for other reasons decided to just give up on rear visibility.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
These cameras are mandatory for a reason. There were a lot of avoidable accidents...
I would argue the backup camera as implemented still achieves the goal of avoiding accidents.

There are plenty of things wrong with this car on the software level, but the backup camera is frankly one of the better ones I've used...rivaled only by my wife's Tesla.

I love the simulated overhead view.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well, Porsche is going to fix what they want to fix, not what you want them to fix. With enough squeaky wheels maybe they will.

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This morning I got a Panorama View OTA update 3.0.6.

Haven't done it yet. But I'm not holding my breath....
Sponsored