Perfect car with a very bad / dangerous backup camera

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Ah, love those types of arguments. Perhaps you should turn off ABS, the airbags, and also unfasten your seat belt. Personally, I prefer progress.

These cameras are mandatory for a reason. There were a lot of avoidable accidents...

Also, cars are increasingly designed with that in mind - or else the designers have for other reasons decided to just give up on rear visibility.
A back-up camera is simply an aid, not a means to an end, and, as has been discussed at length on this forum, there are far, far better implementations of this in cheaper but also peer group cars. A camera does not absolve the driver from using his/her eyes and awareness. I have no issue with the camera being a positive addition, 'progress' if you will, but its not there to replace your brain :)!
Sponsored

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
A back-up camera is simply an aid, not a means to an end, and, as has been discussed at length on this forum, there are far, far better implementations of this in cheaper but also peer group cars. A camera does not absolve the driver from using his/her eyes and awareness. I have no issue with the camera being a positive addition, 'progress' if you will, but its not there to replace your brain :)!
Sorry @fullmetalbaal is right. You aren't. Technological improvements do many things one of them being to improve safety. The most fallible part of the car is the human brain of the driver and advances to reduce the shortcomings are welcome.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Sorry @fullmetalbaal is right. You aren't. Technological improvements do many things one of them being to improve safety. The most fallible part of the car is the human brain of the driver and advances to reduce the shortcomings are welcome.
Sorry @fullmetalbaal is wrong and you're wrong - tech improvements come in all shades/evolutions and again in this case are simply an evolutionary aid. If you honestly trust your back up camera 100% without any driver input good luck with your next repair bill.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sorry @fullmetalbaal is wrong and you're wrong - tech improvements come in all shades/evolutions and again in this case are simply an evolutionary aid. If you honestly trust your back up camera 100% without any driver input good luck with your next repair bill.
Agreed that the driver is ultimately responsible and in a car with a camera as shitty as this one, better also be checking their mirrors.

That's not my point.

My point is, I can see how you could call the camera dangerous.
It's definitely not up to the expectations I have from a decent car, let alone a 100K+ Porsche.

The same goes for any of the assistive systems: emergency braking is an awesome feature that IMHO should be mandatory (especially for trucks and SUVs!). the driver is also still ultimately responsible whether or not the emergency braking works or not. But if it turns out that a car I own has emergency braking that doesn't work a well as it should - I'll still complain & also warn other drivers of that car.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
What if I told you…cars used to have no backup camera at all?
:fist bump: I have never had a problem backing up without cameras, ever. Mirrors are a great thing. Don't need them - society is comfortable with them.
Porsche Taycan Perfect car with a very bad / dangerous backup camera 1970 2020

R Benny Waered

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, Rapide S, Mc GT, ID.5
Country flag
I think its fair enough to shame them for a bad job given the cost of the car - I have used excellent rear cameras in cars costing 20% of the cost of these cars. This part isn't even the rocket science bit of them - doing 100mph at Silverstone and slamming the brakes on PLUS changing lane at the same time is the harder bit! Stable as... :)

USSWEDE

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 2022
Country flag
What if I told you…cars used to have no backup camera at all?
Ha ha, Yes, but darn it - the thing is like out-of-the-box 'do-it-yourself' Wall-mart 17,25 USD. I don't like it neither. It's distorted, even in perfect situations (no rain, no snow, mud - you name it). I bought the CT because I like the feel of it. I had a Tesla S before and DAMN that rear-view camera kicked butt. Huge, fast, impressive (I had the 2.5 Computer 2019) - so I am disappointed with this detail in an otherwise REALLY impressive car. I support bitching (otherwise I wouldn't me married), and I think we cannot quality-control what a good post is about. Also, if you get offended and want to leave - that's your issue.

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
I would argue the backup camera as implemented still achieves the goal of avoiding accidents.

There are plenty of things wrong with this car on the software level, but the backup camera is frankly one of the better ones I've used...rivaled only by my wife's Tesla.

I love the simulated overhead view.
Methinks you need experiences with other backup camera solutions from MB, BMW, Audi, Genesis, etc. Because the one in the current generation of Porsches (including the Panamera, Cayenne) SUCKS by comparison. Like really bad. I've noticed it every time I've driven one of the above.

The current Panamera has a worse backup camera than my wife's 2014 Cayenne. By a LONG margin.

ffm_dude

First Name
Sasa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Does anybody here have a picture of the view from the front facing camera. Mine is like 30% covered by the car itself. Makes no sense and I am looking to find out if this can be fixed or if everone has it like me...

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
Does anybody here have a picture of the view from the front facing camera. Mine is like 30% covered by the car itself. Makes no sense and I am looking to find out if this can be fixed or if everone has it like me...
Orange cone is about .6 meters (2 feet) in front of car. I hope this helps.

Porsche Taycan Perfect car with a very bad / dangerous backup camera IMG_20211027_132843361

Porsche Taycan Perfect car with a very bad / dangerous backup camera IMG_20211027_132900850

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
There's just no getting around the fact that the cameras on the Taycan are garbage and basically useless.

I personally don't use them to park even on vehicles with excellent cameras, except for minor adjustments which work fine with the Taycan system.

But it is definitely disappointing that you're getting a far, far, far worse camera quality on the Taycan than even the cheapest of current gen smartphones.

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
The second crappiest day of my life was seeing the rear view camera in the Taycan. The crappiest day was when my mama quit dressing me.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
The camera is very bad. No one can deny that. People saying that you have to be able to rely on the camera or on any drivers assists for 100% are living in a distant utopian future. Reality is not like that and literally everyone from car makers to drivers clubs advice not to fully rely on the assists. Sounds to me like the people that believe FSD really means full self driving and sleep behind the wheel.

It is most definitely a software issue that should be fixable. I think there are just too many more critical other software issues that they have to focus on. But hey let’s make another thread and stretch the backup camera topic to infinity ?
Sponsored