TT459S

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Targa 4, 2023 Macan S
Country flag
Had my first charging experience at a PC fast charging station (CCS, 350kW max) in Langley. Went from 19% to 87% in just under 40 minutes. Charging power: between 75kW and 98kW max. Not bad, but still, rather disappointing! I thought it should have taken half that time!!! Did I do anything wrong?
Sponsored

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
i experienced 120 at that one a few months ago. I have experienced as much as 135 at the Petro Can in NVan. I experienced only 75-100 at the Electrify Canada 350 in Squamish. All disappointing. I think the grid feeds to them only allow these lower charge rates.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The charging will be fastest when the SOC is low and the battery is hot. In a properly functioning charger you need both.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
there is a thread by a guy who traveled around the US, maine to CA back to FL up to ME via the trans can highway and he reported that he could not get anything over 130 kw or so charging in canada. I do not know if it is a hardware issue or a power issue

OP
OP
TT459S

TT459S

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Had my first charging experience at a PC fast charging station (CCS, 350kW max) in Langley. Went from 19% to 87% in just under 40 minutes. Charging power: between 75kW and 98kW max. Not bad, but still, rather disappointing! I thought it should have taken half that time!!! Did I do anything wrong?
Had another go there yesterday. It started with 117kW and then went back to 47kW. Also station 2 cut out after a few minutes a few times. Station 1 was better - but also only 47kW.. Where can we complain? I cant imagine it’s due to the car... Quite weird also that the Connect App doesnt know Petro Canada or any other fast charging stations but EC. Suggestions?

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Suggest you call the manager of that station about the problems. The Connect app is useless - I use the individual company apps or Plugshare

OP
OP
TT459S

TT459S

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I charged at Electrify Canada yesterday for the first time (in Hope). The Connect App worked great (after getting some help from the EC support help-line). The car charged really fast (over 100kW) in just 30 minutes, albeit slower once over 90%. According to the folks living next door to the charging station, there is hardly any use - perhaps due to travel restrictions. Would be great if we would get an EC station nearby (Vancouver) soon to harvest our 3-year free charging deal. I saved 20$ yesterday. By the way, PetroCanada's rate (charge by the minute) is not fair when it doesn't charge at 100kW+ speeds.

bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
BC Hydro will start to charge for their DC (50kW) chargers starting May 1st, 2021. Too bad there isn't any EC chargers in Vancouver for us to use... I have yet to go for a long road trip to active my free 3 years....

OP
OP
TT459S

TT459S

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
BC Hydro will start to charge for their DC (50kW) chargers starting May 1st, 2021. Too bad there isn't any EC chargers in Vancouver for us to use... I have yet to go for a long road trip to active my free 3 years....
I used the new Electrify Canada charging station in Abbotsford yesterday for the first time. It worked well, but only got a rate about 120 - remember only first 30 minutes are free of charge. By the way, a bit surprised its so far from the highway, and still wondering why we don't have any in Metro Vancouver. Tesla just put in a dozen superchargers on Lougheed near Ikea.

bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I used the new Electrify Canada charging station in Abbotsford yesterday for the first time. It worked well, but only got a rate about 120 - remember only first 30 minutes are free of charge. By the way, a bit surprised its so far from the highway, and still wondering why we don't have any in Metro Vancouver. Tesla just put in a dozen superchargers on Lougheed near Ikea.
There is a Petro Canada in Abbotsford...which should be free with the RBC offer... and no limit on time... yes, it sucks there are not more EC stations in Vancouver...

OP
OP
TT459S

TT459S

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The PetroCanada charging station (38866) in Langley still has issues. Charger 2 still doesn't work properly. It keeps cutting out, loosing communication, and you cant re-initiate new sessions.
Charger 1 cut out too, but my second attempt was successful and with the battery at 34 degrees, I got a modest charging speed of 105kW. Only problem was stopping the charging. I used my iPhone app to start and stop the charging. However the charger station and my car seemed to have lost communication and I couldn't unplug the cable. I tried resetting the app, lock/unlock the car, pressed every button on the charger, and the PCM showed a red charge bar with an "Error charging" message. After 10 minutes everything probably timed out and I could finally unplug the cable. And when I put the car in gear, the error message also disappeared. My wife was ready to start panicking being stranded in the middle of the night, and I had no idea what was happening either. Happy the problem solved itself.. (I did report the problem to PetroCanada.)
Later, I decided to look at "Good to Know" and there is indeed a procedure for an emergency release on the vehicle plug - definitely good to know (but a bit worried the manual then suggests after doing this to visit the workshop!).
Has anyone had this problem of a stuck charger cable before?

bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
First time charging at Petro Canada on Burrard Street last night... had to wait for a Kia sitting there for over 1.5 hours fully charged to leave... (I left and came back). Started off at 150kW then dropped to a consistent ~104kW for 20 mins which I got 34.4kWh

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had problems at the Petro Canada chargers in Hope on Sunday. The session would start, then abruptly stop after a few minutes. Both chargers did the same thing. Also had that issue in Golden BC a few days prior. Any other Canadians watching this thread have issues with Petro Canada?

OP
OP
TT459S

TT459S

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had problems at the Petro Canada chargers in Hope on Sunday. The session would start, then abruptly stop after a few minutes. Both chargers did the same thing. Also had that issue in Golden BC a few days prior. Any other Canadians watching this thread have issues with Petro Canada?
The only trick I am aware of when the PC charger fails, is to really hold up the plug and cable to make sure there is a tight connection during initialization, once it starts charging you can let go. This worked for me in Golden. If the charger says time-out, the trick doesn’t seem to work. So far only Charger 1 in Langley has this timeout issue. I used many other PC chargers in BC and Alberta now.

OP
OP
TT459S

TT459S

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also in Hope, the Electrify Canada charger works well.
Sponsored