Phone charging inside the Taycan

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I'm baffled.

I spent 15 min routing my usb-c cable (2m 100W max) from the front left side of the vehicle (to have the phone on the left of the steering wheel (so it's out of the way, charging and making it almost impossible for me to use it while in the car - I'm dextrous. Yes I did this on purpose) up to the front usb-c ports.

I tested it and the phone immediately started to charge. Yay. Success... Well, not really. I checked the charging rate through AccA (Advanced charging controller App) and it oscillates between 700mAh (pretty slow) to negative (-150mAh) meaning the phone is using more energy than what the cable is able to provide.

I don't know why. I suspect it's the wired android auto connection as the front usb-c are data ports. I actually thought that would be beneficial as the phone would save the energy needed for a wireless connection but now I'm doubts.

What is your experience? Are your phones charging ok through the usb-c ports?

I do have a plan b which is to connect the cable to my 12V cigarette charger which is QC 3.0 so will speed charge the phone at higher rates but in order to use android auto, it will then need to go back at using WiFi.
Sponsored

annieland

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S, '20 Stinger, '16 Pilot
Country flag
I solved this problem (and several others) by getting an iPhone. 😏

Hope this helps! 😁
Heh I had typed a whole reply and then deleted it because I realized I was talking about an iPhone and he mentioned Android something or other. I found I could just charge my phone in the console thing, and didn't need a new cable, mount, etc. These days I rarely charge my phone in the car anyway. I got a new phone, and put like, 5 apps on it, no notifications, block out the world, and the thing goes a week without charging! Talk about range!

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Pick your poison. 12V cig lighter or wired android auto. I use iPhone and use the 12V for my magsafe charging puck + wireless Carplay. No issue whatsoever.

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I solved this problem (and several others) by getting an iPhone. 😏

Hope this helps! 😁
I rather sell the car then touching an iPhone to be honest.

I don't see how an iPhone would be any different. My phone can charge from the cradle but we all know how great it is to open and close that storage lid.

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Heh I had typed a whole reply and then deleted it because I realized I was talking about an iPhone and he mentioned Android something or other. I found I could just charge my phone in the console thing, and didn't need a new cable, mount, etc. These days I rarely charge my phone in the car anyway. I got a new phone, and put like, 5 apps on it, no notifications, block out the world, and the thing goes a week without charging! Talk about range!
Well, half my work is through my phone including remote server access and God knows what else. I can't have it at 85% and leave the car with it at 20%.

Pick your poison. 12V cig lighter or wired android auto. I use iPhone and use the 12V for my magsafe charging puck + wireless Carplay. No issue whatsoever.
I'll just keep wireless android auto and cig lighter for a proper charge. Guess that settles it. 😂

Need to check if movies / YouTube is smooth with wireless but I think it will be fine.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I rather sell the car then touching an iPhone to be honest.

I don't see how an iPhone would be any different. My phone can charge from the cradle but we all know how great it is to open and close that storage lid.
I switched to an iPhone primarily because when I ordered my Taycan wireless Android Auto was not supported, only Apple Car Play. Of course by the time I actually found a dealer to sell me a Taycan, 20 months went by, and wireless Android Auto is now supposedly supported, but I'm not going back. The switch was less painful than I expected, and I got used to using the iPhone. One feature I always envied, as my wife and kids have been using iPhones for years now, is how easy it was to move all your data and settings to a new phone. Android claimed it can do it, but a) it was never as simple as putting the two phones next to each other and hitting "OK, transfer now", and b) even after using the prescribed steps I had to first lookup, it never quite transferred things smoothly - something always didn't transfer right, even when transferring within the same brand (e.g. blackberry to blackberry, or samsung to samsung).

All that said, just wire your phone to 12V via a car 12V fast USB-C charger which you know will work with your phone. Or you could get a USB-C wired charging analyzer, debug the issue, file a bug with either Porsche or phone manufacturer, depending on who didn't implement the spec correctly.

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I respect that kind of conviction. (fist bump)

But then again, wait times for new Taycans did go down.. 😁
(just kidding, sheesh)
My dislike for the brand is high. That's for another thread (or even another forum lol). All is sorted now anyway :)

I switched to an iPhone primarily because when I ordered my Taycan wireless Android Auto was not supported, only Apple Car Play. Of course by the time I actually found a dealer to sell me a Taycan, 20 months went by, and wireless Android Auto is now supposedly supported, but I'm not going back. The switch was less painful than I expected, and I got used to using the iPhone. One feature I always envied, as my wife and kids have been using iPhones for years now, is how easy it was to move all your data and settings to a new phone. Android claimed it can do it, but a) it was never as simple as putting the two phones next to each other and hitting "OK, transfer now", and b) even after using the prescribed steps I had to first lookup, it never quite transferred things smoothly - something always didn't transfer right, even when transferring within the same brand (e.g. blackberry to blackberry, or samsung to samsung).

All that said, just wire your phone to 12V via a car 12V fast USB-C charger which you know will work with your phone. Or you could get a USB-C wired charging analyzer, debug the issue, file a bug with either Porsche or phone manufacturer, depending on who didn't implement the spec correctly.
iOS mostly annoys me because it feels limiting. You don't have split screen (or, God forbid, floating windows) when you want to multitask and you can't even rename a log file to a text file (it doesn't allow you to change file extensions). I mean, you gotta be either dumb or devilish to not let an user to change a file extension of his own file on his own phone.

Regarding transferring data, it always worked for me albeit, since all my androids are rooted, I use one of the hundreds of available apps to make a full backup before changing phone. I then let google sync both phones (new and old). I do not like to transfer all the garbage from the old phone so I usually exclude app sync (actually I chose selective app sync and just transfer what I really need). Usually, two or three weeks after the change, I suddenly remember I forgot my ssh keys (or some other shady file/app) and just go to the "full backup" I did earlier and restore only what I need. It has been working fine so far.

Regarding charging, I put a QC 3.0 12V cig charger this morning (charges from 5V up to 12V, 2.5A) and yeah, instantly resolved. Already tested youtube and it streams just fine over 5Ghz WiFi.

There isn't much to debug. The Taycan's usb ports aren't QC so always limited to 5V (QC will negotiate voltage with the phone for higher power charging) and my phone really draws power. My wife's phone with similar specs will last easily 3 days on a single charge while mine will barely make it one day (if I don't use it too much... yeah, right). It's just my particular usage of it, I know that, but the usb-c ports really could have QC for large, power hungry devices. I was getting 5V 700mAh (3.5W) on the stock usb-c while now I'm getting 12V at 1800mAh (21W). Only changed the plug from the inbuilt usb-c to the 12V cig charger next to them.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
My dislike for the brand is high. That's for another thread (or even another forum lol). All is sorted now anyway :)

iOS mostly annoys me because it feels limiting. You don't have split screen (or, God forbid, floating windows) when you want to multitask and you can't even rename a log file to a text file (it doesn't allow you to change file extensions). I mean, you gotta be either dumb or devilish to not let an user to change a file extension of his own file on his own phone.

Regarding transferring data, it always worked for me albeit, since all my androids are rooted, I use one of the hundreds of available apps to make a full backup before changing phone. I then let google sync both phones (new and old). I do not like to transfer all the garbage from the old phone so I usually exclude app sync (actually I chose selective app sync and just transfer what I really need). Usually, two or three weeks after the change, I suddenly remember I forgot my ssh keys (or some other shady file/app) and just go to the "full backup" I did earlier and restore only what I need. It has been working fine so far.

Regarding charging, I put a QC 3.0 12V cig charger this morning (charges from 5V up to 12V, 2.5A) and yeah, instantly resolved. Already tested youtube and it streams just fine over 5Ghz WiFi.

There isn't much to debug. The Taycan's usb ports aren't QC so always limited to 5V (QC will negotiate voltage with the phone for higher power charging) and my phone really draws power. My wife's phone with similar specs will last easily 3 days on a single charge while mine will barely make it one day (if I don't use it too much... yeah, right). It's just my particular usage of it, I know that, but the usb-c ports really could have QC for large, power hungry devices. I was getting 5V 700mAh (3.5W) on the stock usb-c while now I'm getting 12V at 1800mAh (21W). Only changed the plug from the inbuilt usb-c to the 12V cig charger next to them.
Curious what Android phone are you using, no issues charging them in the Cayenne with USB-C.
We are Google Pixel users and forced into iPhones as work phones, hate them.
Do not have Taycan yet to test the charging. We know that My Porsche App on Android is not the same as iOS so that is going to be a thing, but happy that Android Auto is supported now.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

I have no idea why you would have problems with the USB - C ports for power? I have a power hungry iPhone 14 Pro and it charges fine with the cable attached, even if I play music and navigate through the phone. No issues at all!It also charges just as well with the iPhone MagSafe wireless charging pad and then manages wireless connection to the car.

Is your phone really so much more power hungry or does your cable not live up to spec?

dtich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS;'12 Model S(sold); Aprilia; Triumph
Country flag
Side loading is coming to Apple, so you can all ease off your high horses and nurse those saddle sores. It's been a long, long ride.

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have no idea why you would have problems with the USB - C ports for power? I have a power hungry iPhone 14 Pro and it charges fine with the cable attached, even if I play music and navigate through the phone. No issues at all!It also charges just as well with the iPhone MagSafe wireless charging pad and then manages wireless connection to the car.

Is your phone really so much more power hungry or does your cable not live up to spec?
The same cable is giving me 21W right now and is rated at 100W (I can test, but a cable from the same brand gives me 65W at home with the appropriate charger). Don't know why the normal usb-c ports in front don't give enough juice. I had already noticed that on my maiden trip (with a short 1m cable) that I basically arrived with the same battery % as I had departed from the dealership. The net gain was 0 after a 500 km trip. It does charge but once android auto + waze is going full power, adding that to other apps in background (plus spotify which insist on starting despite me using the native spotify app in the car), I can understand why it appears it's not enough. Phone is a Oneplus 9 Pro with a 1s2p 5000mAh battery.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
@tchavei, I charged my Pixel 7 in a loaner Taycan on a 750 mile trip and had no issues fast charging 4,355mAh battery in it. I do not have the Pixel 7 Pro that has a 5,000 mAh battery so cannot say if that would make a difference. Something is not right and it could be phone specific charge management if it does not recognize the charging source and defaults to the lowest safest charge rate.

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@tchavei, I charged my Pixel 7 in a loaner Taycan on a 750 mile trip and had no issues fast charging 4,355mAh battery in it. I do not have the Pixel 7 Pro that has a 5,000 mAh battery so cannot say if that would make a difference. Something is not right and it could be phone specific charge management if it does not recognize the charging source and defaults to the lowest safest charge rate.
Could be. I'll test the back usb-c ports to see if there's a difference.

And yes, my phone has a charge manager (I'm doing a long term test of only letting it charge to 85% and shut down below 20%... to mimic our main car battery behaviour. So far, after 8 month, battery health is still at 97% with daily charging)
Sponsored