Photovoltaics + house battery + Porsche Home Energy Manager + Porsche Mobile Charger Connect

CatWithBat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Has anyone got this combination to work allowing you to charge the car ONLY when you are exporting power to the grid?

Photovoltaics power the house, charge the battery, then export to grid if there is any left over.
Battery runs the house at night and can charge using off peak if needed. Current snapshot from my inverter:
Porsche Taycan Photovoltaics + house battery + Porsche Home Energy Manager + Porsche Mobile Charger Connect 1635902447254

The HEM allows for optimised charging using excess generated power - ie. charge your Taycan using excess solar power.
From the example image above, I'd like to send that 2.96kW to the Taycan instead of selling on the grid for a measly 8c per kWh.

Others have documented controlling the PMCC in similar situations but not with house batteries:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/home-energy-management-throttling-at-work.3850/

Unfortunately, the installation documentation doesn't consider a home battery system in the mix.

Everything else is working ok - timed profiles, direct charging. Was installed professionally by Jetcharge (Porsche charger installers for Oz).
Sponsored

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
I have been considering batteries, but my solar installation is quite powerful (100 panels for a total of 30kw) and I have three-phase power. In my case, batteries are too expensive to compensate the expense and currently there is no interface able to handle all that power in three-phase with batteries and a charging point. I am still fighting bureaucracy to be able to feed my excess capacity to my provider.

OP
OP
CatWithBat

CatWithBat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have been considering batteries, but my solar installation is quite powerful (100 panels for a total of 30kw) and I have three-phase power. In my case, batteries are too expensive to compensate the expense and currently there is no interface able to handle all that power in three-phase with batteries and a charging point. I am still fighting bureaucracy to be able to feed my excess capacity to my provider.
My system is far smaller - 24 panels for 8.64kW - but works well with the house battery, especially as we have a "time of use" electricity plan which charges a lot more for electricity in peak hours. The battery basically ensures we never have to pay peak electricity costs. I agree that batteries are not an obvious investment like solar panels as the payback period is too long currently. BTW, my inverter is single phase - is yours three phase?

I also have three phase power (240v, 32amp - 22kW) and run the PMCC using that which works well. Unfortunately my MY21 Taycan will only take 11kW :(

Trying to get the HEM to throttle the PMCC to only charge when exporting power is proving to be very tricky as I think the HEM considers the battery to be part of the photovoltaics...when the battery discharges the HEM thinks I'm generating electricity. Got to get the HEM to read the CT's correctly, and make sure they are installed in the correct position which is what I'm trying to do now...

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, my inverter is three-phase and I also have my PMCC wired for 22 kw although my Turbo S is only 11kw because it was delivered in July 2020.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
My system is a 16.6kWp (45 370wP modules) installation. It has two 10.2 kWh batteries, even though I know that the price of a kWh coming from the battery is not very attractive. My experience is that even if you don't have a system managing that only excess PV power is fed to the car, you can still get very high PV utilization by setting a charging power from the guess-o-meter. It is practically fun to look at the charging and PV apps to see the sun's power flow into the Taycan :).

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
@CatWithBat Do you have the Porsche Home Energy Management System installed?

That one does not know anything about your home battery, as it only measures the incoming or outgoing power at the grid entry point. You PV/Home Battery setup should have a similar unit installed to measure that data as well, so it can control charging/discharging the home battery.

As long as the battery is able to compensate the energy usage or can charge itself, the Porsche HEMS will never detect any grid export power and hence will not try to charge the car instead.

The problem is sadly because how the Porsche HEMS product is designed to work.

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you connect the battery between the inverter and the input to the house and car charger, it will work properly That is the solar will first charge the battery, then what is left or when full, will pass through to the home and charger. In case it is not enough it will draw from the provider.

SpicewoodT

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My system is effectively as shown in your graphic.

My setup includes a Clipper Creek HCS-60R charger installed and connected to my 28kW solar system with 4x Tesla Powerwall batteries which run my home and pool with enough power left over to charge my 4S and also sell enough power back to my electric company that I've spent less than $200 on electricity so far this calendar year.

I've only used power from my batteries so far to charge my 4S and hope to use that exclusively unless I eventually charge at a public charger. And I should note that to-date I've only manually charged my vehicle after checking the SOC of my batteries to ensure that they won't fully discharge while charging my 4S. I usually start charging sometime between noon & 3pm.

Porsche Taycan Photovoltaics + house battery + Porsche Home Energy Manager + Porsche Mobile Charger Connect Tesla Powerwalls and Clipper Creek HCS-60R charging station.JPG

OP
OP
CatWithBat

CatWithBat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@CatWithBat Do you have the Porsche Home Energy Management System installed?

That one does not know anything about your home battery, as it only measures the incoming or outgoing power at the grid entry point. You PV/Home Battery setup should have a similar unit installed to measure that data as well, so it can control charging/discharging the home battery.

As long as the battery is able to compensate the energy usage or can charge itself, the Porsche HEMS will never detect any grid export power and hence will not try to charge the car instead.

The problem is sadly because how the Porsche HEMS product is designed to work.
Yes, the HEM is installed and configured - but I'm getting inaccurate numbers reported.
Right now the HEM is saying this:
Porsche Taycan Photovoltaics + house battery + Porsche Home Energy Manager + Porsche Mobile Charger Connect 1636061185854

While the inverter is saying this:
Porsche Taycan Photovoltaics + house battery + Porsche Home Energy Manager + Porsche Mobile Charger Connect 1636061211327

HEM is reporting 0.56kW of solar vs the inverter reporting 0.33kW (its a rainy early morning hence low power generated).
The HEM is also saying the house is using 0.5kW, while inverter says 0.89kw.
There is clearly a calibration issue here I need to discuss with the installer.

I also have a battery controller (Reposit) which controls when the battery discharges and charges. It will include information such as weather forecasts, power costs and home usage patterns to decide when to charge and discharge the battery. It can even sell power on the grid acting as a part of a large scale virtual battery.
The inverter and the Reposit dashboards agree exactly in terms of power usage - the HEM shows different numbers.

As you say, I suspect the HEM will not be able to integrate with a smart battery controller.

OP
OP
CatWithBat

CatWithBat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My system is effectively as shown in your graphic.

My setup includes a Clipper Creek HCS-60R charger installed and connected to my 28kW solar system with 4x Tesla Powerwall batteries which run my home and pool with enough power left over to charge my 4S and also sell enough power back to my electric company that I've spent less than $200 on electricity so far this calendar year.

I've only used power from my batteries so far to charge my 4S and hope to use that exclusively unless I eventually charge at a public charger. And I should note that to-date I've only manually charged my vehicle after checking the SOC of my batteries to ensure that they won't fully discharge while charging my 4S. I usually start charging sometime between noon & 3pm.

Tesla Powerwalls and Clipper Creek HCS-60R charging station.JPG
Nice! I have a single LG RESU10h battery with SolarEdge inverter. Thought about getting two batteries, but don't really have enough panels to justify it. Might add another if the battery price drops in the next year or so.

The HEM promises the ability to charge only with exported solar power - looking for charging nirvana!

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
Yes, the HEM is installed and configured - but I'm getting inaccurate numbers reported.
Right now the HEM is saying this:
1636061185854.png

While the inverter is saying this:
1636061211327.png

HEM is reporting 0.56kW of solar vs the inverter reporting 0.33kW (its a rainy early morning hence low power generated).
The HEM is also saying the house is using 0.5kW, while inverter says 0.89kw.
There is clearly a calibration issue here I need to discuss with the installer.
Did you notice that the HEMS PV value is identical to the battery discharge value? Looks like it is connected to the wrong power cables.

Did you check if the HEMS has an option to integrate battery charger power with additional measurement adapters?

OP
OP
CatWithBat

CatWithBat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Did you notice that the HEMS PV value is identical to the battery discharge value? Looks like it is connected to the wrong power cables.

Did you check if the HEMS has an option to integrate battery charger power with additional measurement adapters?
You may be right - I'll check to see if it CT is on the wrong feed, or if an additional CT is required to accommodate PV -> house and Battery -> house.
Sponsored