andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
This is reassuring as I debated about adding the HUD to my build. In the end, I did as I have never had the HUD but love the idea of it. Power meter on the HUD allows full map between the dials on the dash display. Very cool.
What about the speedometer? If the speedometer is on the HUD does it allow the center part of the display to be NAV? What about the night vision? I don't currently have the HUD selected on my 21 build, but I do have night vision.
Sponsored

Isaac

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Macan GTS
Country flag
What about the speedometer? If the speedometer is on the HUD does it allow the center part of the display to be NAV? What about the night vision? I don't currently have the HUD selected on my 21 build, but I do have night vision.
Hi The HUD has quite a bit of info including the semi autonomous drive systems, lane keep, innodrive, speed, speed limit, nav directions (but not apple car play nav systems like Waze, google maps) incoming telephone calls and is configurable with other info. What it does not show is night vision assist screen but if this screen detects anything you get a collision warning in the HUD and if you have the right headlamp configuration it will highlight the potential collision object. Highly recommend the HUD...

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi The HUD has quite a bit of info including the semi autonomous drive systems, lane keep, innodrive, speed, speed limit, nav directions (but not apple car play nav systems like Waze, google maps) incoming telephone calls and is configurable with other info. What it does not show is night vision assist screen but if this screen detects anything you get a collision warning in the HUD and if you have the right headlamp configuration it will highlight the potential collision object. Highly recommend the HUD...
Thanks. I’m going over to my dealer tomorrow to check it out. I definitely prefer the looks of the non-hud dash.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
Thanks. I’m going over to my dealer tomorrow to check it out. I definitely prefer the looks of the non-hud dash.
I debated this for a while & ended up leaving it off because I wear polarized sunglasses a lot. Be aware that they make the HUD disappear. That being said, if it was free I would've added it. Ultimately it was a cost casualty for me as my build already had over $30k in options.

Does the shroud kill a bit of the floating binnacle look? Yes. Are you doing to care if you get it? No. I've never had HUD before but I know that once I get one car that has it, I'll never want to drive without it again. So I deferred that recurring expense a few years by not getting it on this car. Human psychology is weird (especially mine).

Isaac

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Macan GTS
Country flag
I debated this for a while & ended up leaving it off because I wear polarized sunglasses a lot. Be aware that they make the HUD disappear. That being said, if it was free I would've added it. Ultimately it was a cost casualty for me as my build already had over $30k in options.

Does the shroud kill a bit of the floating binnacle look? Yes. Are you doing to care if you get it? No. I've never had HUD before but I know that once I get one car that has it, I'll never want to drive without it again. So I deferred that recurring expense a few years by not getting it on this car. Human psychology is weird (especially mine).
yes. I agree the option cost mounts up. My personal choice was to leave off rear wheel steering, PDDC as the car handles v well with its low centre of gravity. Actually the PDDC keeps the car so flat it made me feel ill when i tried it and apparently the engineers decided to dial down its effects.for this reason...

Anyway returning to the HUD i have read that you cant see it with sunglasses on. I wear Raybans and can see it fine BUT i have the double skinned sound insulating and maybe uv flitering glass which might play a part - the HUD has to be ordered with this or one other option which i cant remember - maybe tinted glass . For personal preference i have turned the HUD brightness up If that makes a difference. The main thing about the HUD though is that you dont really have to take your eyes off the road to see key info like speed and nav.

Around here - near London - there are so many road signs, special speed limits, trafic light cameras, speed cameras that you need to have your eyes on the road. The HUD enables this. There is another side to this coin though that the amount of information coming at you and clearly in your eyeline can lead to a feeling of information overload (though you can reduce the info shown to your own prefence). But overall the HUD is a terrific option.

Finally on the binnacle yes it probably is less aethetically pleasing but personally i am ok with it and actually all it means is that the tapered aspect of the top of the binnacle going towards the windscreen is hidden by a curved cover. It doesnt bother me but its clearly a personal thing.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I went just now and compared a car with and without the HUD. While I appreciate the comments that it changes the interior design, I didn’t think it was that significant. Does it look better without? Yes. Enough to not order the HUD? Not even close. I’ve added the HUD to my order.

Thanks for all the comments.

Porsche Taycan Pic of Head Up Display (HUD) & Wireless CarPlay/Charging C24CCD31-0D7D-45D4-8B4B-CD205C6C7542
Porsche Taycan Pic of Head Up Display (HUD) & Wireless CarPlay/Charging DD4D0914-60CD-46B5-84EB-44EA84E47A09
Porsche Taycan Pic of Head Up Display (HUD) & Wireless CarPlay/Charging DDC4474F-51AF-4A47-8E34-635E7AB8BFDA

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I have it on mine, so biased.
I prefer the look with it optioned. I feel it frames the floating dash better.

Oooo, controversy.

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
I went just now and compared a car with and without the HUD. While I appreciate the comments that it changes the interior design, I didn’t think it was that significant. Does it look better without? Yes. Enough to not order the HUD? Not even close. I’ve added the HUD to my order.

Thanks for all the comments.

C24CCD31-0D7D-45D4-8B4B-CD205C6C7542.jpeg
DD4D0914-60CD-46B5-84EB-44EA84E47A09.jpeg
DDC4474F-51AF-4A47-8E34-635E7AB8BFDA.jpeg
I've got it locked into my '21 Turbo (ETA: April). I think the look is fine with it, and I think I'll be using it pretty much full-time. Thanks for photos that finally give me a realistic look at the HUD from a few different, useful angles.

My question for you, @Smithy37 : does the hood disrupt the airflow from the upper vent?

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just saw this nice little driver POV video shot in Beijing (?) in a HUD-equipped Taycan 4S:

Last edited:

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I've got it locked into my '21 Turbo (ETA: April). I think the look is fine with it, and I think I'll be using it pretty much full-time. Thanks for photos that finally give me a realistic look at the HUD from a few different, useful angles.

My question for you, @Smithy37 : does the hood disrupt the airflow from the upper vent?
Sorry, just read the reply.
No, although I have my vents set on diffuse, so not sure if that makes a difference.

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry, just read the reply.
No, although I have my vents set on diffuse, so not sure if that makes a difference.
Fair enough, brother Mark (lots of us Marks in my generation).

I've been thinking I'll probably be set on Diffuse most of the time, unless I need a quick blast of cold after working out without benefit of shade or breeze, or that welcome toasty warm-up on a cold winter's day.

Best

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
I want to configure the HUD so that I also have the power meter there.
Used custom settings, see images attached.

But it won't show. What am I missing?

Porsche Taycan Pic of Head Up Display (HUD) & Wireless CarPlay/Charging IMG_4919

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I want to configure the HUD so that I also have the power meter there.
Used custom settings, see images attached.

But it won't show. What am I missing?

IMG_4919.jpeg
I originally had that confusion as well. I then cycled though the options using the steering wheel scroll that you use to change the other instrument cluster items and Power Meter was listed as option. Selecting it there shows just fine now.