whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Delays in my lock date have made me more in my head about my option choices. Currently have upgraded seats (either 14 or 18 way, TBD) and surround view spec'd. Wondering if I should drop one of these for RAS given somewhat comparable prices for each of these options. Separately, if I keep the upgraded seats, anyone have any thoughts on comfort between 14 and 18 ways (and 8 way for that matter)? I'm 6"2 190lb so wondering if I'd benefit comfort wise from the wider shoulders of the 18ways. Not as concerned about how well they support in hard cornering as ease of entry
Sponsored

D_Frost

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG GLE, Vantage
The benefits of Surround View and the upgraded seats will be more noticeable than RAS.

Surround View - While the Surround View isn’t the best in the industry, it does give you additional visibility while maneuvering in tight quarters.​
Upgraded seats - The seat is your connection to the vehicle, so comfort should be a priority. You may be able to sit in a Taycan to get a feel on which seat feels best but I’m happy with my 14 way seats.
Rear Active Steering - I do have this specced on mine and to me the Taycan feels a bit more nimble (I drove a non-RAS Taycan on a few road trips prior to taking delivery of mine). I do get pleasantly surprised about the turning radius when making u-turns or turning into a parking space. But without RAS, a couple more turns will achieve the same results.​

Hope this helps…

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I got RAS and it is possibly the feature I am most happy with. I listened to the advice on here to get it and am glad I did.

Regarding the seats, I have the 14 way and have some difficulty getting comfortable. the right sided bolster annoys my left butt cheek which starts to hurt on a drive over 15 mins unless I adjust position

OP
OP
whan

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks guys - it seems like some folks have had issues with the 14 ways. I've had issues getting comfy in seats in other cars before so probably sounds like I should take the 18 ways to give myself the most options

Still on the fence about RAS vs Surround, I did have surround view on a Ford Raptor I used to have. It was helpful for parking in the lines given the size but also didn't use it all the time. Still mostly used my mirrors to determine how close to a wall I was in tight spaces since it felt more "certain" vs. a camera

These cars have front parking sensors - do they automatically turn on at low speeds pulling into a spot, and will they detect low curbs? Mostly wondering if they'll help not crunch the front end on a parking curb.

obscurelyfamous

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Chalk Taycan 4S
Country flag
Tough one. I have all 3 options and they are the options that are difficult to value until they're absent.

1) RAS - I think I love it but I haven't spent time in a Taycan without it. Given what I've read and felt, I would say that it's absolutely worth it. The turning radius of this large car is very manageable. Whether it's unbearably different without RAS, I do not know.

2) Surround View - I struggle here because I can't remember what SV offers outside of the default camera view. I mostly use the overhead view, though the 3D view is neat and useful to give me confidence in moving in slow, close situations. Without the 3D view, I'd miss it. But I will say that I mostly just use the overhead view.

3) Seats - I love my 18 way seats. I like how they look and there is nice adjustability. I am used to driving around in race/bucket seats so I dial up the bolsters all of the way and they're pretty good for a nicer luxury car. That said, I wouldn't mess around with the settings after setting them correctly once. So it's hard to say whether 8/14 way wouldn't have been good enough. My guess? I would have been happy with the 14 way just fine.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Have all 3 also but I'd say RAS and 14 way with heat + perforated cushions (psuedo-'cooling' or air flow). I do love surround view but in looking at all 3 you are giving up the least by sticking with default cameras and gaining most with the amazing maneuverability of RAS in tight spaces (a true revelation) and for me, the difference between 14 and 18 not worth giving up the heat-perforated/air flow option which was the case in my config. In any case with 18-way+RAS you're still ahead imo.

OP
OP
whan

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Surround view and rear axle steering. No brainer. The 14-way seats are peachy!
Ah thanks - though if I got surround view and RAS, would probably have to get 8-ways to keep in budget (don't want to go over $110k on my build)

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I have all three, but I have to admit I am not sure what comes in the Surround View package. There is a 3D view of the car and its surroundings that I find totally gimmicky and useless, and there is the overhead view that I find absolutely essential. If losing Surround View means losing that view, then I am with the people who say that it is essential. Then I would drop the seats.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sell something so you can get all three, but try both seats before you decide. It’s more about which shape you prefer than adjustability. Neither is better than the other, just different.

IMO, all three are must haves, but the 18 ways only if you prefer them.

The 18 ways fit me perfectly, and they were a must. I wouldn’t own a Taycan with 14 ways. Also, knowing what I know now, I wouldn’t own one without surround view. Visibility out of the car is just too limited and it’s a big car. Finally, RAS is awesome and a high priority option, but I’d still own a Taycan if they didn’t offer RAS.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
I got RAS and it is possibly the feature I am most happy with. I listened to the advice on here to get it and am glad I did.

Regarding the seats, I have the 14 way and have some difficulty getting comfortable. the right sided bolster annoys my left butt cheek which starts to hurt on a drive over 15 mins unless I adjust position
I probably gave you that advice! I LOVE RAS!

VOLT4GE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Delays in my lock date have made me more in my head about my option choices. Currently have upgraded seats (either 14 or 18 way, TBD) and surround view spec'd. Wondering if I should drop one of these for RAS given somewhat comparable prices for each of these options. Separately, if I keep the upgraded seats, anyone have any thoughts on comfort between 14 and 18 ways (and 8 way for that matter)? I'm 6"2 190lb so wondering if I'd benefit comfort wise from the wider shoulders of the 18ways. Not as concerned about how well they support in hard cornering as ease of entry
I’m 6’04” and 215 and the 14-way seats are fine. But that surround view is fantastic and the best way to back into a parking spot.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
Find a way to sit in both seats. I got the 18-ways mainly because I think they look cooler but they're definitely less comfortable (and I'm small). No one else can tell you what seat your body will fit in best.

RAS is a no-brainer.

I don't have the 3D surround but the overhead view is really good and the front bumper camera to avoid scraping is great. It's cool but unless you have a weird parking situation, it's superfluous.

Folsom458

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Porsche Cayenne, 2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
Surround view and rear axle steering. No brainer. The 14-way seats are peachy!
Agree totally. Have the 14 ways in our Cayenne and they are great on long drives. SV and RAS would also be my vote.

Discohead

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ipace, Macan GTS, TVR Chimaera 500
Country flag
Surround - Big with poor visibility, use it a lot
Seats - You benefit every time you drive
Ras - nice to have
Sponsored