Placed Order for CT4 - Got November Delivery Slot! One Week to Finalize Spec

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, Audi
Country flag
I had been waiting for months to place an order for my wife's Taycan CT4 because I assumed it would be a very long wait and I'd have to pay over MSRP. Then I found out the EV tax credit would be going away, so I reached out to my dealer last Thursday and singed the order demand @ MSRP and Friday. On Saturday, they were able to trade one of their Taycan build slots for a Taycan Cross Turismo 4 build slot. Needless to say, I'm elated by both the MSRP pricing and the immediate build slot (that still qualified for the EV tax credit prior to the Inflation Reduction Act being signed into law.)

Anyway, here's the spec and my (and my wife's) thinking behind choosing each option. Let me know if I've missed anything critical:

Taycan 4 Cross Turismo (I need a hatchback – why does the Taycan sedan have a standard trunk and not a hatchback??)
  • Exterior Color – Jet Black Metallic Gentian Blue Metallic: First was thinking Carmine Red, then Gentian Blue, but decided it would look too purplish. Jet Black Metallic it is.
  • Interior – Leather Interior in Black/Bordeaux Red Black: With the switch to a black exterior, the interior needed some contrast, so switched to Bordeaux Red.
  • Packages – Premium Package & Technology Package: Porsche options are more expensive than they should be, and things that should be standard are options. I think packages are pretty much always money well spent, just to get to the "base feature" level of similarly priced vehicles.
    • Premium Package includes: Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+), Power Seats (14-way) with Memory Package, BOSE® Surround Sound System, Lane Change Assist (LCA), Ventilated Seats, Surround View, Power Folding Exterior Mirrors, Ambient Lighting, Ionizer
    • Technology Package includes: Passenger Display, Head-Up Display, Remote ParkAssist incl. Lane Change Assist (LCA), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
  • Seating – Rear 2+1 Seats: Darn kids
  • Performance – Rear Axle Steering: I think this is an option that can be appreciated every time the steering wheel is turned.
  • Wheels – 19" Taycan S Aero Wheels: I like the look of the 20" and 21" wheels, but 19" wheels ride better, handle pot holes better, and have longer drive range. I can buy different wheels later if I change my mind.
  • All-Season Tires: It snows here, this is my daily, and I don't want yet another set of wheels laying around my garage.
  • Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass: EVs are quiet, and this will make it even quieter. Enjoy the silence. Enjoy that I didn't get the fake Electric Sports Sound.

Comfort and Assistance Systems
  • Night Vision Assist: My night vision isn't great. This is a daily driver and occasional longer trip car. I like that the night vision assist is always monitoring for animals and pedestrians and will sound a warning if detected, even if it is not active on the driver display.
  • Porsche InnoDrive incl. Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Active Lane Keep (ALK): I know these aren't the best driver assist technologies when compared to other companies, and I'm OK with that. I'd rather have driver assist vs. something that tries to drive for me (occasionally fails badly.) I am concerned that Porsche won't release many updates to these features over time, while other manufacturers will. But still, I'd rather have these features than not. They should at least be better than what my 10-year-old Audi has. (Note: I've read automatic speed limit detection is the worst-performing feature; I'm glad that can be turned off in PCM options.)
  • Preparation for Porsche Dashcam (Front and Rear): There are lots of crazy drivers out there. The VW dashcams are terrible, but I figure that this will provide most or all the wires needed for aftermarket dashcams. Hello Blackview.

Interior
  • Heated Steering Wheel: Warm hands during the cold winter; less need to heat the cabin, potentially slightly better range.
  • Smoking Package: Why not get the free removable bin that goes in the cup holder?

E-Mobility
  • Porsche Intelligent Range Manager: Maybe this will help with longer trips, but it's probably not much different than how I'd drive anyway. It's cheaper to spec it with the build than add it later. It's something to mess with during a longer drive if nothing else.
  • 19.2 kW On-Board Charger: My garage is pre-wired for two 100 Amp circuits to accommodate 2 EVs. I don't think I'll often need the faster charging speed (4 hours vs. 8 hours), but it could occasionally come in handy. I don't have much faith in Electrify America being available whenever needed.
  • On-Board 150 kW/400V DC Charger: Tesla opened up their charging network to non-Tesla cars. I have more faith in the Supercharger network than in Electrify America. It's good to have options on longer trips, especially in my area of the country.
Delivery Experience
  • Porsche Experience Center Delivery: This is the first new car I've purchased since 2006. This will make it even more of an unforgettable experience. And the drive home will be an adventure in EV charge/route planning.

Options I decided to pass up due to higher cost and not enough value for me:
  • Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV+), Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control Sport (PDCC Sport), Sport Chrono Package: This isn't my track car, and I don't drive that fast on public roads. I don't think I'd ever drive aggressively enough to notice these features. I never change the drive mode on my other cars. I think the timer in the center of the dash ruins the flow for no good reason. This is a 4 not a Turbo S.
  • LED Matrix Lighting: This doesn't really do much in the US due to regulations restricting functionality. If the full-Euro capabilities were there, I'd probably go for it.
  • Rear Climate Control and Rear Seat Heating: Fewer buttons for the kids to mess with.
  • Olea Club Leather Interior: I think it's only a small upgrade over the "Leather Interior" option. And I don't want the seat backs to be leather (because of kids.)

I welcome comments and critiques – there are only a few days left before the spec is locked!
Sponsored

Last edited:

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Colours are a personal matter, but I suggest a lighter interior to go with Gentian, for a bit of contrast and to make the passenger compartment feel a bit more open for the rear passengers(especially if no pano roof). Have you considered Slate?

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Agree that colour is personal but FWIW gentian isn't a choice I'd make and ideally not with a dark interior. It may not work out too dark given the pano roof but accept the practicalities of the colour choice.

19" wheels are not ideal - 20" is the best compromise - they look too small IMHO. If budget is a constraint then I'd forego the Night Vision (useful if you encounter wild animals regularly at night) but non essential IMHO.

Some of the Technology pack I wouldn't option (we don't have packs in UK) but Remote Park Assist is useless / pointless in my view (expensive for what it is and if it should work reliably (which it won't)) and HUD is another 'meh' choice. HUD can appear obtrusive and in my view superfluous given the excellent digital cockpit arrangement in front of you. If you've driven a Taycan with it and can't live without it then fine but I wouldn't pay the money and would switch it off if it were 'free'.

RAS is a must have but generally you won't be aware of its presence and may even question (as I and others have) if it has been fitted. Useful for parking albeit a subtle one. With PSP bundled it is a worthy option for sure.

PTV+ probably less so and to your point a CT4 is not a 'performance' model - useful but value potentially questionable in this scenario.

InnoDrive - no way IMHO, not worth the money and I'm sure you'll end up disabling some features due to poor mapping & signage - same issue with standard speed limit cruise (basic cruise is perfect) control although apparently it has been tweaked with the latest software recall (time will tell). ACC (a pre-requisite for InnoDrive) is something I'd personally skip too but seems a popular / essential choice for NA (don't know why particularly).

Otherwise - nice spec and enjoy when it comes!

Last edited:

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
My wife and I had been waiting for months to place an order because I assumed it would be a very long wait and I'd have to pay over MSRP. Then I found out the EV tax credit would be going away, so I reached out to my dealer last Thursday and singed the order demand @ MSRP and Friday. On Saturday, they were able to trade one of their Taycan build slots for a Taycan Cross Turismo 4 build slot. Needless to say, I'm elated by both the MSRP pricing and the immediate build slot (that still qualified for the EV tax credit prior to the Inflation Reduction Act being signed into law.)

Anyway, here's the spec and my thinking behind choosing each option. Let me know if I've missed anything critical:

Taycan 4 Cross Turismo (I need a hatchback – why does the Taycan sedan have a standard trunk and not a hatchback??)
  • Exterior Color – Gentian Blue Metallic: I was thinking Carmine Red but then a Gentian Blue Taycan drove by and stole the show. Other than that quick glance, I haven't seen this in person and I'm a little worried it's going to look slightly purplish.
  • Interior – Leather Interior in Black: Darn kids. The brown was nice, but liked black more. Couldn't justify the upgraded leather and would rather not have the seat backs covered in leather (darn kids again.)
  • Packages – Premium Package & Technology Package: Porsche options are more expensive than they should be, and things that should be standard are options. I think packages are pretty much always money well spent, just to get to the "base feature" level of similarly priced vehicles.
    • Premium Package includes: Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+), Power Seats (14-way) with Memory Package, BOSE® Surround Sound System, Lane Change Assist (LCA), Ventilated Seats, Surround View, Power Folding Exterior Mirrors, Ambient Lighting, Ionizer
    • Technology Package includes: Passenger Display, Head-Up Display, Remote ParkAssist incl. Lane Change Assist (LCA), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
  • Performance – Rear Axle Steering: I think this is an option that can be appreciated every time the steering wheel is turned.
  • Wheels – 19" Taycan S Aero Wheels: I like the look of the 20" and 21" wheels, but 19" wheels ride better, handle pot holes better, and have longer drive range. I can buy different wheels later if I change my mind.
  • All-Season Tires: It snows here, this is my daily, and I don't want yet another set of wheels laying around my garage.
  • Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass: EVs are quiet, and this will make it even quieter. Enjoy the silence. Enjoy that I didn't get the fake Electric Sports Sound.

• Night Vision Assist: My night vision isn't great. This is a daily driver and occasional longer trip car. I like that the night vision assist is always monitoring for animals and pedestrians and will sound a warning if detected, even if it is not active on the driver display.
  • Porsche InnoDrive incl. Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Active Lane Keep (ALK): I know these aren't the best driver assist technologies when compared to other companies, and I'm OK with that. I'd rather have driver assist vs. something that tries to drive for me (occasionally fails badly.) I am concerned that Porsche won't release many updates to these features over time, while other manufacturers will. But still, I'd rather have these features than not. They should at least be better than what my 10-year-old Audi has. (Note: I've read automatic speed limit detection is the worst-performing feature; I'm glad that can be turned off in PCM options.)
  • Preparation for Porsche Dashcam (Front and Rear): There are lots of crazy drivers out there. The VW dashcams are terrible, but I figure that this will provide most or all the wires needed for aftermarket dashcams. Hello Blackview.

Interior
  • Heated Steering Wheel: Warm hands during the cold winter; less need to heat the cabin, potentially slightly better range.
  • Smoking Package: Why not get the free removable bin that goes in the cup holder?

E-Mobility
  • Porsche Intelligent Range Manager: Maybe this will help with longer trips, but it's probably not much different than how I'd drive anyway. It's cheaper to spec it with the build than add it later. It's something to mess with during a longer drive if nothing else.
  • 19.2 kW On-Board Charger: My garage is pre-wired for two 100 Amp circuits to accommodate 2 EVs. I don't think I'll often need the faster charging speed (4 hours vs. 8 hours), but it could occasionally come in handy. I don't have much faith in Electrify America being available whenever needed.
  • On-Board 150 kW/400V DC Charger: Tesla opened up their charging network to non-Tesla cars. I have more faith in the Supercharger network than in Electrify America. It's good to have options on longer trips, especially in my area of the country.
Delivery Experience
  • Porsche Experience Center Delivery: This is the first new car I've purchased since 2006. This will make it even more of an unforgettable experience. And the drive home will be an adventure in EV charge/route planning.

• Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV+), Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control Sport (PDCC Sport), Sport Chrono Package: This isn't my track car, and I don't drive that fast on public roads. I don't think I'd ever drive aggressively enough to notice these features. I never change the drive mode on my other cars. I think the timer in the center of the dash ruins the flow for no good reason. This is a 4 not a Turbo S.
  • LED Matrix Lighting: This doesn't really do much in the US due to regulations restricting functionality. If the full-Euro capabilities were there, I'd probably go for it.
  • Rear Climate Control and Rear Seat Heating: Fewer buttons for the kids to mess with.
  • Olea Club Leather Interior: I think it's only a small upgrade over the "Leather Interior" option. And I don't want the seat backs to be leather (because of kids.)

I welcome comments and critiques – there are only a few days left before the spec is locked!
FYI, matrix headlights are allowed in the US….the laws have changed.

OP
OP

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, Audi
Country flag
FYI, matrix headlights are allowed in the US….the laws have changed.
I knew that changes were coming to US regs, but didn’t know they had already happened. Do 2023 US models have “full Euro matrix functionality.”

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I knew that changes were coming to US regs, but didn’t know they had already happened. Do 2023 US models have “full Euro matrix functionality.”
Not sure if Porsche has turned them on for models that are equipped with it, but Uncle Sam is no longer standing in the way.

OP
OP

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, Audi
Country flag
Reading other threads, it appears Porsche has no current intention of enabling this matrix enhanced functionality in the US.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Reading other threads, it appears Porsche has no current intention of enabling this matrix enhanced functionality in the US.
Some of those same folks said that Elon would never share his charging network too 🤷🏽

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Doesn't seem like you're that sensitive to price, so I think you've got all the essential options covered. I personally wouldn't have gone as tech heavy in terms of tech package and night vision as most items in there most people don't feel are must haves or the utility isn't that high. But if you want those features and are ok with the spend, go for it!

I'd echo others sentiment about upgrading to at least the 20s, or alternatively doing an aftermarket 20 wheel. Note you'll have a hard time selling the factory 19s if you do go that route (I've seen full sets with tires listed on ebay for $1k without any bites for a long time). Also of note, from a performance standpoint, the 19 setup has the least grip, and probably most prone to understeer, as its a 225 front / 275 rear width setup, so a significant rear width bias in terms of F/R %. FYI the 20s are 245/285, and 21s are 265/305

I normally wouldn't recommend the 19.2kw charger since most people's houses aren't wired for it, but since yours already is I think it's definitely worth it

OP
OP

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, Audi
Country flag
Thanks everyone for your feedback, especially on the color. The exterior is now darker (Jet Black Metallic), but the interior has some good contrast (Black/Bordeaux Red.)

Unfortunatley, Porsche has no plans to enable the Matrix headlights to be act like matrix headlights, so that option will be shipped.

I agree complete that the Remote Park Assist is total waste, unless you want to guarantee door dings because you've blocked people from entering adjacent cars. But it's "free" with the Tech Package.

In general, we tend to pay more for features that provide some degree of safety and driver back. Hopefully they are never needed, but there is a small chance it will avoid a collision/injury. I don't view any of those as primary safety systems or premier capabilities, but instead of driver backups that may someday payoff.

proficient_mathematician

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The range calculator for the CT4 on Porsche's webpage actually shows the same range for the 20" wheels as the 19" wheels. (https://www.porsche.com/international/models/taycan/taycan-models/taycan-4-cross-turismo/, scroll down the page to see the range estimator.) The 21" wheels on the other hand take a range hit...

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
I had been waiting for months to place an order for my wife's Taycan CT4 because I assumed it would be a very long wait and I'd have to pay over MSRP. Then I found out the EV tax credit would be going away, so I reached out to my dealer last Thursday and singed the order demand @ MSRP and Friday. On Saturday, they were able to trade one of their Taycan build slots for a Taycan Cross Turismo 4 build slot. Needless to say, I'm elated by both the MSRP pricing and the immediate build slot (that still qualified for the EV tax credit prior to the Inflation Reduction Act being signed into law.)

Anyway, here's the spec and my (and my wife's) thinking behind choosing each option. Let me know if I've missed anything critical:

• Exterior Color – Jet Black Metallic Gentian Blue Metallic: First was thinking Carmine Red, then Gentian Blue, but decided it would look too purplish. Jet Black Metallic it is.
  • Interior – Leather Interior in Black/Bordeaux Red Black: With the switch to a black exterior, the interior needed some contrast, so switched to Bordeaux Red.

Interior

E-Mobility
Delivery Experience

Well done on securing an early build slot that's terrific 👏 I thought I had done well ordering in Jjne and getting a November build.
Only one week to freeze seems early. I have a November 1st build and my freeze date is 30th September

OP
OP

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, Audi
Country flag
Well done on securing an early build slot that's terrific 👏 I thought I had done well ordering in Jjne and getting a November build.
Only one week to freeze seems early. I have a November 1st build and my freeze date is 30th September
Yes, exact dates are 8/26 freeze, 11/11 estimated delivery, so I guess it’s actually an October build. I’ve heard the dates can be pulled up, so I’m being a little conservative.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Yes, exact dates are 8/26 freeze, 11/11 estimated delivery, so I guess it’s actually an October build. I’ve heard the dates can be pulled up, so I’m being a little conservative.
Ah that explains it, my build start is beginning of November with estimated delivery to Reading UK on 24th November

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
I probably would take the estimate with a bit of a grain of salt. There's a few of us whose cars have already been built and are awaiting 12V batteries and shipping with TYD expected delivery dates of Mid December (on boat dates of 11/4). So either ours will get significantly pulled forward, which I'm hopeful for all our sakes, or yours will probably end up past December

Just for reference, my lock date was 4/30
Sponsored