Placing A Custom Build Order | Best Practices With US Dealers

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
I have searched for a thread or post that gathers advice and best practices for the process of placing an order for a custom build through a US dealer. Specifically, I mean the more transactional stuff like confirming an allocation, paying deposit, establishing purchase contract etc. - not whether to opt for the sport chrono package or rear axle steering. Financing is well covered in other threads, so let’s omit that too.

There are bits of advice scattered here and there, but nothing that pulls it all together. Does such a thread (or external resource) exist? Please share links!

If there’s nothing appropriate, I propose that we gather that sort of advice here, similar to the Dealer Pickup Checklist. I would be glad to synthesize the collective wisdom into a consolidated list that could be made into a sticky thread. First time buyers would benefit from others’ experience.

Let’s assume the prospective buyer has identified the dealer they want to order with, and they know which model/variant they will order. In a subsequent post here, I’ll share my first stab - along with some gaps and uncertainty of my own.
Sponsored

OP
OP
satchurator

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Start With A Build Configuration

Do your homework, learn about the models and options. Build a first draft of a configuration for your Taycan. At this point it serves as a basis for starting the ordering process. While you need to be sure of which model/variant you will order, you will likely change your selected options over time, up until the freeze date ahead of production.

Allocation or Waiting List?

Determine if the dealer has an actual build allocation which your order will be placed against. If your sales associate (SA) at the dealer can not confirm an allocation, then you are just joining a waiting list, and have no guarantee of when your car will go into production. Sometimes, if a dealer does not have an allocation, they can negotiate with other dealers to swap allocations, e.g. swap a Cayenne allocation for a Taycan allocation. Your dealer might not be able to do this, or might not be willing. Sometimes they only do it for repeat customers. In any case, ideally, you are ordering against a known allocation. As I understand it, an order against an allocation is identified by a commission number - that’s how you know its legitimately tied to an allocation.

Deposit and Purchase Contract

(Most?) US dealers will want a deposit from the buyer on a custom build. $2500 is common. Some buyers on these forums have paid deposits of up to $10K. Most deposits are refundable, some dealers will ask for non-refundable deposits.

In paying your deposit, there needs to be something in writing. A purchase contract should include the deposit amount, commission number and list any conditions on the sale or refund of deposit. Make sure you understand what conditions are upon your deposit, and what happens if you decide to back out.

Something that I have been uncertain about, is how best to tackle the agreed purchase price when the configuration of options might continue to change.

Questions for experienced Porsche buyers:
  • Is this the right moment to negotiate the price, even if the total retail price with options may change after this point? How is this potential variation represented?
  • What is the earliest moment in the process when the final purchase price can be established?

The Build Sheet; Finalizing Configuration By Freeze Date

Once you are locked in with an order against an allocation, soon you will receive a congratulations email from Porsche with an invitation to Track Your Dream. The TYD tracker allows you to follow the timeline of production and delivery of your new car. It specifies some important dates, particularly the freeze date and delivery date.

Before the freeze date, you should refine your configuration through the configurator. By providing a configurator code, ask your SA to replicate that configuration into the build sheet for your car. They should provide a copy of the build sheet back to you, and you should check it very carefully for accuracy, line by line. You can change your build configuration up until the freeze date. If you want to make additional changes to your build - always communicate the changes to the dealer in writing with an updated configurator code representing your latest complete configuration. While some changes can be made after the freeze date / before production begins, if it’s possible at all you will risk delaying your delivery date.

The Wait

Track Your Dream is a quirky but fun view into the progress of the production and transportation of your car. Many buyers obsessively check TYD, and some go as far as consulting marine shipping schedules and live ship location data to track progress in even more detail.

Last edited:

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Good post.

I negotiate the price when agreeing to a deposit and purchase contract. In my two Porsche order's I've done previously, I have known my desired build before I even find an allocation, so have the MRSP already known. This way when you get the purchase contract, you pretty much have an accurate cost of what you're paying without much mystery.

When I purchased my Boxster S a couple years back before all the shortages, I was able to negotiate a decent discount (5%). On my CT4 arriving shortly, I basically got MSRP and a token 1k "returning customer" discount. I didn't really care as much since getting the $7500 EV credit this makes up for it.

OP
OP
satchurator

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
I have known my desired build before I even find an allocation, so have the MRSP already known. This way when you get the purchase contract, you pretty much have an accurate cost of what you're paying without much mystery.
Thanks @riburn3. That is a good approach, but perhaps less doable for first time buyers or with a relatively new model where the calculus of options selection is shifting over time (e.g. 19.2kW chargergate).

For those experienced folks who tend to tweak options after committing a deposit, how do you handle the ambiguity of the final purchase price?

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
Thanks @riburn3. That is a good approach, but perhaps less doable for first time buyers or with a relatively new model where the calculus of options selection is shifting over time (e.g. 19.2kW chargergate).

For those experienced folks who tend to tweak options after committing a deposit, how do you handle the ambiguity of the final purchase price?
I had them send me an updated quote page with tax title tags everything. Asked for a managers signature and then I signed it and sent it back.

DrLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (one day)
Country flag
In paying your deposit, there needs to be something in writing. A purchase contract should include the deposit amount, commission number and list any conditions on the sale or refund of deposit. Make sure you understand what conditions are upon your deposit, and what happens if you decide to back out.
This is interesting. I contacted all 3 Colorado dealerships to see if any have allocations. None did and one of the dealerships required a non-refundable deposit. In all cases, a deposit was required to be put on the waiting list and none of the three dealerships would give anything in writing or even a receipt to confirm the deposit.

Since this seems to be the practice at all of the Colorado dealerships, I was under the impression that this is standard. It's sketchy for sure because it relies on the customer remembering where they placed deposits to request a refund down the road when one allocation opens up somewhere.

mdrobc1213

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, Taycan CT4, 992 Carrera,
Country flag

No it is locked in when I put in my order/allocation was given. Build sheet list the sale price (MSRP) and any discounts offered were via email which both parties have saved. Since I've ordered before from them; know what to expect and pretty much build sheet price was transferred to PO and executed when we went into the business office/finance. Only variable was how much I wanted to put down in addition to my trade equity and options to finance or pay in cash which affected end numbers. No ADM or changes once order placed by them and only ones which would have been acceptable would have been say if Porsche changed the price of an option or MSRP or something.
This is interesting. I contacted all 3 Colorado dealerships to see if any have allocations. None did and one of the dealerships required a non-refundable deposit. In all cases, a deposit was required to be put on the waiting list and none of the three dealerships would give anything in writing or even a receipt to confirm the deposit.

Since this seems to be the practice at all of the Colorado dealerships, I was under the impression that this is standard. It's sketchy for sure because it relies on the customer remembering where they placed deposits to request a refund down the road when one allocation opens up somewhere.
Wow...that does seem sketchy...I'd probably seek otherwise from a dealer with other practices. A deposit to get an allocation (I get it and that is what should happen) but to get on a list?? I mean what does that actually do? Especially if the dealer is unwilling to put anything on paper as to your number in line or even a receipt of monies paid; then I would walk. At that point there is NO confirmation if you will ever get a car and that you'd get one in a timely manner. Its the equivalent of meeting a nice looking person and giving them your number and asking them to give you a call later on to link up/go out.....it may happen but may not and you have no idea when and even IF it will happen! Not the common practice I've seen and this is now my 5th ordered car (4th Porsche). You can place a deposit in lieu of an allocation but it is totally up to you and you take the risk.

zalcamp

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5 and Q3
Country flag
Have any of you paid the refundable deposit on multiple wait lists? All area dealers at this point only have wait lists.

Your experience?

zalcamp

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5 and Q3
Country flag
No it is locked in when I put in my order/allocation was given. Build sheet list the sale price (MSRP) and any discounts offered were via email which both parties have saved. Since I've ordered before from them; know what to expect and pretty much build sheet price was transferred to PO and executed when we went into the business office/finance. Only variable was how much I wanted to put down in addition to my trade equity and options to finance or pay in cash which affected end numbers. No ADM or changes once order placed by them and only ones which would have been acceptable would have been say if Porsche changed the price of an option or MSRP or something.

Wow...that does seem sketchy...I'd probably seek otherwise from a dealer with other practices. A deposit to get an allocation (I get it and that is what should happen) but to get on a list?? I mean what does that actually do? Especially if the dealer is unwilling to put anything on paper as to your number in line or even a receipt of monies paid; then I would walk. At that point there is NO confirmation if you will ever get a car and that you'd get one in a timely manner. Its the equivalent of meeting a nice looking person and giving them your number and asking them to give you a call later on to link up/go out.....it may happen but may not and you have no idea when and even IF it will happen! Not the common practice I've seen and this is now my 5th ordered car (4th Porsche). You can place a deposit in lieu of an allocation but it is totally up to you and you take the risk.
I had a similar experience in Colorado, no allocation a wait list. However all dealers offered the wait list with refundable deposits. In this situation any experience with paying the refundable deposits on multiple wait lists?

mdrobc1213

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had a similar experience in Colorado, no allocation a wait list. However all dealers offered the wait list with refundable deposits. In this situation any experience with paying the refundable deposits on multiple wait lists?
No I don't give up deposit money unless I have an allocation offered. Not paying any dealer for the privilege of getting one someone's list in some order that can change based on dealer's whim or if someone else offers more $$. I've only paid deposit for orders placed with a very reasonable idea of either when an allocation is coming and that I will receive one at that time (for example my SA today said they were getting a few allocations for various P-Cars in next week) or with the allocation offered and I leave them with a check or CC and they leave me with a timetable for production printout and an allocation #! That's just the best way for me to do it. Only way I'd pay multiple deposit for allocations were for different models and don't see the reason to do so really....multiple wait lists? NO WAY!

zalcamp

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5 and Q3
Country flag
No I don't give up deposit money unless I have an allocation offered. Not paying any dealer for the privilege of getting one someone's list in some order that can change based on dealer's whim or if someone else offers more $$. I've only paid deposit for orders placed with a very reasonable idea of either when an allocation is coming and that I will receive one at that time (for example my SA today said they were getting a few allocations for various P-Cars in next week) or with the allocation offered and I leave them with a check or CC and they leave me with a timetable for production printout and an allocation #! That's just the best way for me to do it. Only way I'd pay multiple deposit for allocations were for different models and don't see the reason to do so really....multiple wait lists? NO WAY!
Thank you for the input. I totally agree, however after contacting by phone and email the 4 local dealers and sending emails to about 25 regional dealers the only response was getting on a waiting list. In fact the previous car I purchased an Audi was from a Porsche/ Audi dealer. They offered a wait list, with deposit and $5K over MSRP. Another dealer SA told me that she would assign an allocation number immediately upon signing a sales contract. However delivery as with the other dealers was 6 to 9 months out. She indicated that an allocation number is only relevant to the dealer not the consumer. Yes, she is a sales person. So I signed a purchase order with another Porsche dealer which required a $1000 deposit. They indicated an allocation in the next month?????? As with most people on the forum, I really want to purchase the vehicle and with the law of supply and demand at work this appears the best arrangement. Also after going through this process with dealers and multiple times on the configurator I have concluded that to purchase a Porsche one must suspend a considerable amount of common sense. More than once reviewers commented after a stellar review, that "this (fill in the blank) should be standard on a vehicle at this price" However I hope to really get delivery in 6-9 months???

mdrobc1213

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you for the input. I totally agree, however after contacting by phone and email the 4 local dealers and sending emails to about 25 regional dealers the only response was getting on a waiting list. In fact the previous car I purchased an Audi was from a Porsche/ Audi dealer. They offered a wait list, with deposit and $5K over MSRP. Another dealer SA told me that she would assign an allocation number immediately upon signing a sales contract. However delivery as with the other dealers was 6 to 9 months out. She indicated that an allocation number is only relevant to the dealer not the consumer. Yes, she is a sales person. So I signed a purchase order with another Porsche dealer which required a $1000 deposit. They indicated an allocation in the next month?????? As with most people on the forum, I really want to purchase the vehicle and with the law of supply and demand at work this appears the best arrangement. Also after going through this process with dealers and multiple times on the configurator I have concluded that to purchase a Porsche one must suspend a considerable amount of common sense. More than once reviewers commented after a stellar review, that "this (fill in the blank) should be standard on a vehicle at this price" However I hope to really get delivery in 6-9 months???
Sounds like that option you chose may have been the best you could get out of the 25 dealers you called. I probably would have called 25 more tho! One of the owners on the Rennlist Forum lives in AK and got his car from CT and shipped it up there to the North Pole just because THAT was where he found the best deal! So yes it does takes some work to get a good deal and find an allocation these days. Supply and Demand or shall I say normal supply and demand has been upended by the COVID19 pandemic and summarily the effects and disruptions in the global economies of the industrialized nations and thus major auto manufacturers as well as those of us living in these countries and lucky enough to be able to purchase these cars.

Correct...in that allocations I believe will be released again in about 30 days to dealers again so US dealers will find out what is avail to produce/sell/allocate according to their demand for likely late Spring early Summer deliveries in 2022. Spoke to my dealer yesterday and they did not have any new allocations for Taycan Sport Turismos or GTS but had just gotten their 1st GTS 992 Cab and expected to get the next set of allocations sometime in the next 30 days. Of course they already had a pretty deep waiting list for 992 GTS's and other models...but did have a very nice GT3 RS outside! Expect this type of market to go on for the next 12-24 mos possibly and who knows this model for vehicle pricing and purchasing some say may continue!

Porsche Taycan Placing A Custom Build Order | Best Practices With US Dealers Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 23.03.36

Porsche Taycan Placing A Custom Build Order | Best Practices With US Dealers Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 23.03.07

ktvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s 2022
Country flag
This is a great thread; I put down a 5k deposit on my taycan 4s with freeze date coming up in a few days. This is my first porsche and I did not know that the price can be negotiated on a custom build. Do you think it is too late to try and ask for any discounts now?
Sponsored