Plaid beats Taycan Turbo by 11 seconds around ring... will Porsche respond?

Alemany

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 600LT, Nissan GTR, Tesla P100D, MiniCooper Cooper limited edition, Taycan Turbo S (ordered), Giulia Quadrafoglio
Country flag
Personally I hope Porsche don't get into a 'pi55ing up the wall' contest about speed, like Tesla seem obsessed about.

The cars are already fast enough.

When people who can't control the power start crashing them, there is going to be a lot of bad publicity and rising insurance premiums.

I already noticed this in the press this week...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...da-woman-69-losing-control-Model-S-Plaid.html
"The cars are already fast enough." No. You can never be fast enough. You probably meant they are fast enough for you, which is fine. But for me, they are not.
Sponsored

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
C8 Corvette did a 7:30 around the Nurburbring, should put all of into perspective. C8 would probably do this lap after lap, until the tires gave up.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I've had a couple of Tesla's - my question isn't how they did it - doesn't really matter; it was a registered record. My question is how many parts fell off or broke while they were doing it. Every car that leaves their factory looks like it was built on a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon.

The parts are cheap; gap and fit are terrible; the cars have zero quality control. Not bashing as much as stating a fact.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
My question is how many parts fell off or broke while they were doing it.
Oh…hmmm. I always thought their cars were ugly, but maybe I just haven’t seen one with all of the parts still on it…??

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've had a couple of Tesla's - my question isn't how they did it - doesn't really matter; it was a registered record. My question is how many parts fell off or broke while they were doing it. Every car that leaves their factory looks like it was built on a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon.

The parts are cheap; gap and fit are terrible; the cars have zero quality control. Not bashing as much as stating a fact.
It's a feature: "Adaptive weight optimization".

;)

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I was just thinking, the only other upcoming (next 12-18 months) EV that could give the Taycan or Model S a run for their money on the Nurburgring is the Lucid Air Dream Edition. Lucid was running early prototypes around Laguna Seca, so obviously track performance was at least evaluated. It has the horsepower to certainly run a great time, assuming the battery management, brakes, and suspension/chassis are up to the task.

The Rimac Nevera will probably set and hold the EV record for a long time, but it's in the Hypercar class, with a price tag in another world, so I don't see it as a direct competitor. Honestly it has a chance of getting the overall production car record, edging out the GT2 RS / MB AMG GT Black Series.

The Mission R seems to be the most promising EV track car that hopefully will be in an affordable price range (sub $200k). If this can compete with a GT3 in terms of price and performance, it would be hard to beat.

Just imagine if these EV's didn't exist. Sure it's fun to see the newly refreshed 911, the next Panamera, or an RS6 Wagon, but they all are just slightly better versions of on old formula. A little more horsepower, a little more tech, a little more weight, nothing game changing.

It's going to be a fun decade watching the new EV's hit the road.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was just thinking, the only other upcoming (next 12-18 months) EV that could give the Taycan or Model S a run for their money on the Nurburgring is the Lucid Air Dream Edition. Lucid was running early prototypes around Laguna Seca, so obviously track performance was at least evaluated. It has the horsepower to certainly run a great time, assuming the battery management, brakes, and suspension/chassis are up to the task.

The Rimac Nevera will probably set and hold the EV record for a long time, but it's in the Hypercar class, with a price tag in another world, so I don't see it as a direct competitor. Honestly it has a chance of getting the overall production car record, edging out the GT2 RS / MB AMG GT Black Series.

The Mission R seems to be the most promising EV track car that hopefully will be in an affordable price range (sub $200k). If this can compete with a GT3 in terms of price and performance, it would be hard to beat.

Just imagine if these EV's didn't exist. Sure it's fun to see the newly refreshed 911, the next Panamera, or an RS6 Wagon, but they all are just slightly better versions of on old formula. A little more horsepower, a little more tech, a little more weight, nothing game changing.

It's going to be a fun decade watching the new EV's hit the road.
Watching all the EV videos, and then other Nurburgring videos (again :) ), I realized that EVs are too quiet to be fun to watch.

I also realized that a class that is much maligned is actually the best.

The 4 cylinder hybrid. :) Joking aside... the combination of engine AND e-motor sounds is just amazing.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
This happen before with the Plaid on the Ring.
As I said, it's just increased HP, no other R&D.

I have to question there wasn't upgraded brakes for this "Record Run"

Porsche Taycan Plaid beats Taycan Turbo by 11 seconds around ring... will Porsche respond? 20211002_071012

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This happen before with the Plaid on the Ring.
As I said, it's just increased HP, no other R&D.

I have to question there wasn't upgraded brakes for this "Record Run"

20211002_071012.jpg
I'm very skeptical of their Nurburgring time. I know it was supposedly certified by that third party, but I don't see how the factory brakes survive a lap.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I'm very skeptical of their Nurburgring time. I know it was supposedly certified by that third party, but I don't see how the factory brakes survive a lap.
It's just hard to accept, that's all.
You can check here for yourself.
They don't add "unofficial lap records".
The lap time of the Taycan Turbo isn't even there...
It would be fun to see a Turbo S beat the number of the Plaid though...?
11 seconds gain on the Ring is very much doable with PCCB...

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
I will find the article again so this is not simply hyperbole. However, I did read that this Plaid was highly modified, to include massive upgrades to the battery, battery cooling system as well as many performance upgrades from 'Unplugged Performance' (https://unpluggedperformance.com/model-s/) and gutting of the 'extras' for a large weight reduction.

So, what is my point? Point is that this is not a production Tesla Model S Plaid.

I am not saying it will not beat the Taycan Turbo.....it very well could? What I am saying is that until they roll these cars out of a dealership without any modifications, the entire community will be suspect. I really don't understand why it is so hard to be an honest arbiter of 'production performance' when conducting these tests. If they are not testing production models to get data and make improvements, it makes me think this is all about the marketing and click-bait/hype surrounding 'breaking a record'....even though it is basically a custom EV race car, purpose built for this track, under the shell of a production body (with aftermarket, Unplugged Performance stuff and body work).

Last edited:

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah you're right. I should completely trust Tesla. They have the utmost integrity and have always been transparent with the public. They have never made misleading claims or tried to game a system like the EPA ratings.

I'm also confident that the Nurburgring organization (I'm not sure what to call them) has no conflict of interest being paid by an OEM to certify their vehicle's lap time. Motorsport organizations always have the highest ethical standards and play by completely fair rules. F1 is a perfect example.

/sarcasm

I'm confident the Plaid can run the time they claimed with proper brakes. I remain skeptical the brakes and pads shipped from the factory can handle a lap at the Nurburgring.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Taycan wasn't an official time, but Porsche doesn't need to lie.
Also didn't the Plaid beat the Taycan by 7 sec? That 7:30 Plaid time wasn't the certified one.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Taycan wasn't an official time, but Porsche doesn't need to lie.
Also didn't the Plaid beat the Taycan by 7 sec? That 7:30 Plaid time wasn't the certified one.
I really couldn't care less to be honest.
The Porsche 991 GT2 RS does a 6:43.300 so what Tesla is doing isn't quite impressive.
In fact, the Panamera Turbo S is even faster with the same weight but roughly half the power in 7:29.81.., go figure...
That's proper chassis design.
And we all know a Taycan is faster than a Panamera...
No, I have no doubt the Plaid will be beaten by a Taycan.
Have fun with the big boys over there Tesla... ??
Sponsored