Plaid beats Taycan Turbo by 11 seconds around ring... will Porsche respond?

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - 2020
Country flag

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
Porsche will definitely respond and the Taycan will run a sub 7:30 time. The current generation may even run that time. Porsche only released the numbers for the Taycan Turbo (not the S) and they have made several minor adjustments through updates and model year changes.

Consider this. Here are the following times for the GT3 over the past three generations with very minor changes in horsepower (475hp to 502hp):

991.1 7:32
991.2 7:12
992.1 6:55

Basically Porsche dropped over 30 seconds by chassis and aero improvements. This is where Porsche's motorsport history will give Tesla a run for their money. The Plaid has 1020hp versus the Taycan Turbo has 616hp. That's a 66% increase that equals only a 12 second difference.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I feel like if anything it makes the Project 8 seem more impressive(only kinda kidding) I'm sure the Turbo S could be pretty close
The turbo S only has higher HP than the Turbo for 2.5 seconds (IIRC). The big question is whether that regenerates during that 7+ min run if you are pushing the car so hard. The Turbo they used for the run had every single performance option added to it.

My money is on the Turbo S not having substantially better times, and Porsche keeping that in their pocket so that all of us run around thinking ("soon, they will try it with the Turbo S, and it shall be glorious").

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
They could easily update all Taycans with a hp boost and let the TTS have more base hp than the turbo but typical Porsche they want to leave some room for future models/not destroy the Panamera (even though that line got a significant hp boost with the facelift).

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Personally I hope Porsche don't get into a 'pi55ing up the wall' contest about speed, like Tesla seem obsessed about.

The cars are already fast enough.

When people who can't control the power start crashing them, there is going to be a lot of bad publicity and rising insurance premiums.

I already noticed this in the press this week...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...da-woman-69-losing-control-Model-S-Plaid.html

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I really hope we have people with a bit more common sense in the Taycan community.

There are going to be a lot of serious incidents when electric cars with huge amounts of power, for not much money are bought by the boy racer community.

I really don't want my insurance premiums to start going through the roof when all the banana brains start buying EVs that will do ridiculous speeds.

I guarantee there will be a kickback against high performance EVs if we start getting more stories like the one above (which we will).
If the manufacturers are seen to be promoting it (yes you Tesla) it will be a replay of the hot hatch era of the 80s. Cars were uninsurable.....a load of bad press....and the manufacturers dropped them for 'warm hatches' and made no mention of performance.

So I hope Porsche carry on being a bit more responsible about things.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Knowing Porsche and their LOVE for the Nürburgring we will see an answer that will be pretty definite. Porsche had done this many times.. Looking at you Cayenne Turbo GT ? They just take it super Slow like always . Seeing that Edmunds video how the Plaid went through that little track, I am more than happy to be in my slower 4S.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Personally I hope Porsche don't get into a 'pi55ing up the wall' contest about speed, like Tesla seem obsessed about.

The cars are already fast enough.

When people who can't control the power start crashing them, there is going to be a lot of bad publicity and rising insurance premiums.

I already noticed this in the press this week...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...da-woman-69-losing-control-Model-S-Plaid.html
I don't care about 1/4 or 0-60 times in general, but I would like a much lighter weight Taycan or Cayman/911 EV equivalent that can hold it's own around a road course. If Porsche gets into an EV numbers contest I guess Nurburgring times are probably the most relevant. However, they need to run a 30 minutes session without power reduction, and need to weigh under 4000lbs to save tires and brakes. The Mission R seems like to best possibility if they make an affordable version (Cayman /911 price range).

I used to take my 911 and Cayman to the occasional track day. I haven't taken my Turbo S because it doesn't seem to be worth destroying my brakes and tires for a couple of short runs. I look forward to the day where an electric Porsche can give a GT3 a beating.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Based on the pictures floating around, I was pretty sure the brakes weren't stock on the Model S that ran the ring. It seems Jalapnik has the same impression.

https://jalopnik.com/something-about-teslas-model-s-plaid-nurburgring-run-do-1847654465

Yes you can easily modify a Plaid with aftermarket brakes, but adding carbon ceramics is likely a $10k-$20k addition. When you need this kind of modification then the Plaid is actually a $150k car, not a $130k. Add in sport seats so you don't slide out the window, and the lighter weight forged wheels and you're easily at $160k+. Who knows what tires were actually used. It start to seem less and less competitive price wise. Plus not even offering these options from the factory feels disingenuous.

Safety modifications are legit because of the danger of running at these speeds. So roll cage, harness, shut off, fire suppression, no problem. But performance modifications are another story.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
They could easily update all Taycans
you mean like they easily updated all the Taycan that bricked some components and had people with out they Taycans in some cases for 2 or 3 months? You mean that easily?

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
you mean like they easily updated all the Taycan that bricked some components and had people with out they Taycans in some cases for 2 or 3 months? You mean that easily?
Why pick .x% of cars as the argument? Secondly I meant „easily“ in terms of the car is easily capable of more. Wow I hit a nerve with you there. Let it out you are in a safe space.

Last edited:

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Based on the pictures floating around, I was pretty sure the brakes weren't stock on the Model S that ran the ring. It seems Jalapnik has the same impression.

https://jalopnik.com/something-about-teslas-model-s-plaid-nurburgring-run-do-1847654465

Yes you can easily modify a Plaid with aftermarket brakes, but adding carbon ceramics is likely a $10k-$20k addition. When you need this kind of modification then the Plaid is actually a $150k car, not a $130k. Add in sport seats so you don't slide out the window, and the lighter weight forged wheels and you're easily at $160k+. Who knows what tires were actually used. It start to seem less and less competitive price wise. Plus not even offering these options from the factory feels disingenuous.

Safety modifications are legit because of the danger of running at these speeds. So roll cage, harness, shut off, fire suppression, no problem. But performance modifications are another story.
The video showed the drive with the joke, and the time is officially witnessed by the 'Ring folks:
https://www.nuerburgring.de/news/tesla-faehrt-offiziellen-rekord-fuer-elektrofahrzeuge

I'm pretty sure they would have had an issue with modified brakes, etc.
Sponsored