Plug and Charge - how does it work if you have several networks you signed up for, and the charger has agreements for several. Any suggestions ?

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
In Europe at least the Porsche Charging Service works with several networks and if I had Plug and Charge (2020 Turbo S), there are several stations where 2-4 networks where I have signed up have Plug and Charge capabilities. Now, I just pick the card or app where the price is lowest. I was thinking the covenience of Plug and Charge would be great, but if I have to disable it on the ones I don’t want to use, it may be worse. Or maybe there may be a conflict and charging is aborted… anyone else has experience with this ?
Sponsored

FredC057

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Fiat 500Ce, Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
There is only one network linked to your MyPorsche account and that’s the one the system will take.
Same if you swipe your Porsche card.
If you want to use Ionity, Maingau, Chargemap or others, you have to use the card or app.

OP
OP
Pozuelo

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But the ones I have signed up for in Spain, Iberdrola, Zunder, JuicePass and Wenea, all have Plug and Charge capabilities. If I use their chargers, although many are available through the Porsche Charging Service, they are significantly cheaper when using their proprietary cards/apps. Several others I signed up for on my trip to Nordkapp, also have Plug and Charge, such as Fastned, Incharge, Fortum Charge, and Virta. One notable exception to the Plug and Charge for now is Tesla with non-Tesla cars. Still unsure what would happen…

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
If you don’t use a card manually l and the charger supports Plug&Charge and that is active in the car, then the one card that is already linked to your myPorsche account will be used and you pay the fees for that card.

The car can only be linked to one card. Also you can only link cards that support Plug&Charge (most do not).

so if you go to a charger, just plug in the cable, it will use that already linked card. If no card is yet linked, you will need to use a card manually

OP
OP
Pozuelo

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I thought that each car had a unique identifier and the charger would query it and if it is on its list of authorized users, it would start a session. I presumed you could use it on several networks where one had plug and charge activated.

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
You are referring to the MAC address of the OBC. This is not used for Plug & Charge, also some manufacturers randomize that MAC address like VW and Audi.

Plug & Charge uses a certificate that represents your chosen mobility service providers charging card which also has your payment details stored. That certificate basically identifies you with your card and this payment will be accepted.

EnBW (in Germany) and FastNed are using AutoCharge which uses the MAC address. But with that you link your MAC address with the EnBW charging card (basically, there will be some kind of roaming). Benefit is it works with more cars, but you are hard linked with the charging station providers own charging service. Whereas Plug & Charge separates the charging station provider from the mobility service provider.

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
You are referring to the MAC address of the OBC. This is not used for Plug & Charge, also some manufacturers randomize that MAC address like VW and Audi.

Plug & Charge uses a certificate that represents your chosen mobility service providers charging card which also has your payment details stored. That certificate basically identifies you with your card and this payment will be accepted.

EnBW (in Germany) and FastNed are using AutoCharge which uses the MAC address. But with that you link your MAC address with the EnBW charging card (basically, there will be some kind of roaming). Benefit is it works with more cars, but you are hard linked with the charging station providers own charging service. Whereas Plug & Charge separates the charging station provider from the mobility service provider.
I am confused then.

I have a my2020 and will receive the sw update when it rolls out in Switzerland. I thought that P&C uses the Porsche charging service and their rates by default (e.g., 0,34 euro for IONITY in most European countries) and it cannot be remapped to any other service provider (eg. EnBW, etc), ie. one can't go to myporsche.com and add multiple charging cards from different providers which can then somehow be selected right before initiating the charging process at the stall.

Porsche barely makes it at managing one charging service (their own black card / app), go figure if they could create a wallet for 10 providers...

Actually, P&C can be turned off in the PCM, right? I'm thinking of those use cases where the DCC cable needs to be connected to the car before identification at the stall's display. If P&C is "active" the charging will start through the Porsche charging service before any other card or token or mobile app (from another provider) can be used to initiate the transaction?

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
MY20 cars do not support Plug & Charge, unless you upgrade to the 22kW OBC. The new software update will not provide the feature for the current 11kW OBC.

P&C is not a Porsche specific feature, it is part of the industry standard ISO15118-2. For it to function, one needs to install the certificate on the OBC. Usually this is done on the first manual charging session via the P&C compatible DC charger.

If you are at a charging station with P&C active, and it supports P&C and requires you to plug in the cable first, then the rates of the stored charging card will be used. In that case you might want to turn Plug & Charge off bevor connecting the cable to the car, so you can use a different charging card.

Right now Porsche Charging Services is afaik (in Germany) the only provider that supports P&C. VW will follow with their WeCharge service once they rolled out P&C Support in their cars (maybe Software Version 3.1). Once that is available, you could use WeCharge instead of the Porsche Charging card. There might be other mobility service providers supporting P&C that I am not yet aware of.

EnBW does not support it, as they right now favor their AutoCharge feature, which works with way more cars at the moment.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I have a 2021 Taycan with the 22kW OBC (on my 4th one but thats another story). P&C was originally supposed to be a feature of my car but it was pulled shortly afterwards. Does anyone know if the new software will enable it on 2021 Taycan's with the 22kW already?

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
There was a service action that was supposed to activate it for these

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
Coming back on this topic. I have a Turbo my20 with the 11kw OBC (not the 22kw). Recently did the uPdate (dealer) + ONA6 (OTA) yesterday. All went smooth and quick. Today I went to a Swiss Ionity. Plugged in the cable and the car started charging. No payment via app or card or authorisation screen, nothing etc.

Maybe they changed something in the latest ONA6 release and Plug&Charge no longer requires a 22kw obc? Can p&c be deactivated ?

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
There is a setting if your car supports it and where you can de-activate it. Check this video for the setting:

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
There is a setting if your car supports it and where you can de-activate it. Check this video for the setting:
Thanks. that's what I thought. Just checked the same screen and I don't have the middle option (consistently with the fact that P&C is only available if car is equipped with 22kw obc). So I don't know what happened at Ionity then. Most likely a faulty stall, but it started just after plugging. I can't see the charge in the Porsche charging service tab. Will try again at other stations and see.

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
Coming back to this topic because it is hard to find any documentation about this.

1) Does anybody know if the Taycan support AutoCharge (like used by FastNed and Enwb) ?

2) Is it mandatory to have a paid ionity subscription via Porsche to be able to use plug n charge at Ionity ? If I would not subscribe anymore for the Porsche charging service after the free first 3 years: is there still a possibility to enable plug n charge ?

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
1) Yes it does. AutoCharge only has issues with cars that change the MAC address of the OBC, the Taycan does not do that as of now.

2) Plug & Charge means that a charging contract is stored in the car, so the car can present it to the charging station using a certificate instead of you having to do it manually. If the Porsche contract expires, so does the charging contract certificate in the car. And the car can't authorize a charging process at Ionity any longer, since it doesn't have a valid contract stored.
Sponsored