buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
After 6 months and 12K miles, I finally got around to taking my 4S to an Autocross event hosted by the PNWR PCA down over at Bremerton.

Conditions was damp and rather moist in the morning, but mostly dried up by 4th runs expect for a damp spot at the last slalom. Car is still on the stock 245/285 Michelins Pilot Sport 4 that has 10K+ miles. Started at 36/32 PSI cold which was really pushy at the start and as I worked thru the runs I ended up settling at 36/36 PSI by run 4 which was mostly tolerable for me. At the end of run 4, the front tires was starting to get warm, but the rears were still pretty cold. Plan is to go w/ 275 or 285 in the front and then 305 or 315 in the rear similar to the Turbos. I'm keeping the car in SCCA SS class rules so what I'm running is going to be dictated by class rules. Running on truly competitive tires, I'm fairly certain I can drop the times by another 2-3s, and if you throw an alien in, that's probably another 1-2s.

Body roll and composure was more than adequate given that it's still stock. It's still a really wide and heavy car so the laws of physics still apply. Brake feel is interesting and a bit unnerving at first. I think because of the break blending the top half of the travel feels light but once I get on the mechanical I started getting the stiffer pedal feel that I prefer. Not too big of an issue and it's something that I intend to focus on in the future. I'd like more bite from the standard brakes, so once I burn thru the OEM pads, plan is to see if I can get something like the Hawk HP+. Primary concern is still how wide the car is. Given its width, tight slaloms are painful.

For those in the Seattle area, I was able to easily to get from the northside of Seattle to Bremerton via the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, do 4 runs and multiple additional launches cause people were interested in the car. and then back to Home w/ 25% battery still left.

Porsche Taycan PNWR PCA Autocross Taycan 4S Report PXL_20210918_172043241

Sponsored

OP
OP
buruburu

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
What brakes do you have?
My Taycan is w/ the standard brakes. Reason was because I was planning on running 19" tires which typically has much better extreme tire options. This is actually becoming much more difficult than I had originally anticipated as I would need to have custom wheels made and not been able to find any 200TW tires in 19" that would keep the general overall diameter to be able to support the weight of the car.

I'll likely see if I can borrow a set of GT4 wheels and tire from my friend and see how the Taycan runs with them. Unsure whether the significant drop in ride height is going to be an issue.

SCCA SS class rules allows for you to go +/- 1" diameter and +/- 6mm offset, but wheel width has to stay the same.

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
I did another NASA event in my Taycan RWD yesterday. The Taycan continues to perform really nice on the NASA "small circuit" layout we run here in Hawaii.

For quick comparison's sake, the lowest time of the day was in a 718 GT4 at 45.6 seconds and I was 46.2 in the Taycan. My friend with the GT4 swapped cars for the final session and he nearly matched my 46.X times and I matched his 45.X times.

The biggest handicap I noticed with the Taycan in comparison to my 992 and the GT4 was the visibility through the "A" pillars. I found myself needing to adjust my head position to look
"far forward" in the Taycan. I think this may be due to the extra width of the Taycan and it felt very similar to my vision in my Audi S6.

I do not have the exact sheets in front of me at the moment, but will see if I can grab them.

We also have some static overhead drone footage coming which will be interesting to compare the two cars.

Porsche Taycan PNWR PCA Autocross Taycan 4S Report NwINbnH

Last edited:
OP
OP
buruburu

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The biggest handicap I noticed with the Taycan in comparison to my 992 and the GT4 was the visibility through the "A" pillars. I found myself needing to adjust my head position to look
"far forward" in the Taycan. I think this may be due to the extra width of the Taycan and it felt very similar to my vision in my Audi S6.
One of the hardest thing to learn to do in autocross is to turn your head to look ahead. You may think that you're doing it, but there's a good chance that you're not. There are times where I'm not even looking thru front windshield and instead looking thru the side windows. That's typically how far ahead I look.

I typically like to have a camera pointed at my head and the steering so I can get a clear view if I'm properly looking ahead and positioning my hand correctly prior to a tight corner. Here's a vid of me from 9 years ago me when I was competing in my '07 MX-5 in SCCA DP class.

After that, the time gains comes from learning that you have to turn in probably 1 car length before you even get to the cones designating the slaloms. I like to have my car positioned where I'm already pointed in the right direction before I even reach the cone and typically am already turning the other way when I'm reaching the previous cone. Then there's also keeping everything tight, and brake correctly.

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
Here's a vid of me from 9 years ago me when I was competing in my '07 MX-5 in SCCA DP class.
In a Miata it's one thing but I dunno if I could bring myself to bounce a Porsche off the rev limiter like that. :p

OP
OP
buruburu

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
In a Miata it's one thing but I dunno if I could bring myself to bounce a Porsche off the rev limiter like that. :p
Yeah, I didn't have the best gearing in that car at the time. Later switched to the 5-speed transmission. When you cut the weight down by 900lbs and run slicks that are meant for rain conditions in the dry, you find that you are going way way faster than what you were before.
Sponsored