Pod point a good choice and where to mount?

Docjonday

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The other option (if you're a cheapskate like me) is to buy the Ohme charger from Octopus which is discounted to £199. I'm getting an electrician to fit a Commando socket to use with it. The Ohme is fully integrated into Octopus' Agile tariff so knows all of the charging costs for each 30-minute slot of the next 24 hours and can pick the cheapest charge times.
BTW, I've been on the list for a Smart Meter since March and have only just got my appointment for installation, 2nd November. There's quite a backlog. Apparently the slots are released every Monday morning - there's a page on the website you can go to to book, customer services gave me a URL to use for this and I just kept trying.
Thanks for the sound advice! The Ohme charge unit reads incredibly well. However, on the Ohme page, I note they are offering the kit at £800 installed, which amounts to £500 after the OLEV grant. You mention that you managed to access an Ohme product via Octopus at £199. How did you manage that? I've had a look on the web and Octopus at first glance would appear no longer affiliated with Ohme, and certainly not offering nay discounts on the Ohme charger. Has their affiliation now revised to EO, as they seem to be marketing this product alone now?
Sponsored

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Thanks for the sound advice! The Ohme charge unit reads incredibly well. However, on the Ohme page, I note they are offering the kit at £800 installed, which amounts to £500 after the OLEV grant. You mention that you managed to access an Ohme product via Octopus at £199. How did you manage that? I've had a look on the web and Octopus at first glance would appear no longer affiliated with Ohme, and certainly not offering nay discounts on the Ohme charger. Has their affiliation now revised to EO, as they seem to be marketing this product alone now?
Take a look here, about half way down the page: https://www.octopusev.com/charging
Should still be valid, I only bought mine about a week ago.
I'm getting a sparky to install a commando socket for me since he already needs to upgrade the consumer unit.

Docjonday

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Take a look here, about half way down the page: https://www.octopusev.com/charging
Should still be valid, I only bought mine about a week ago.
I'm getting a sparky to install a commando socket for me since he already needs to upgrade the consumer unit.
Many, many thanks! That looks like a saving of 50% on the retail price by purchasing through Octopus. How does the Ohme cable differ to the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect cable that is being supplied as standard with the Taycan at present because there is a supply chain issue with the lower spec Porsche cable? Out of interest, would you be willing to share the approx cost for an electrician to purchase and install a commando socket? I'm always keen to do things cost effectively but, in this instance, I'm looking to move house in the next 12 months. Hence, spending as little as possible for an interim solution before installing a longer term solution at my next property is front of mind.

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm a bit the same as you - might be moving in the next year or so and don't really see the point of installing anything permanent. This way I can take the Ohme with me and keep the OLEV grant in reserve (assuming it's still running in a year or so).
I can't tell you much at this point because I don't have the quote from the electrician (plus he's doing other work at the same time) and I don't have the Taycan (or the PMCC) either!
What I can tell you is the the Ohme doesn't know about the Taycan charge level because there's no API integration as of yet, but this is probably no different with other non-Porsche EV chargers. I'll just set the charge profile to 85% in the car and just have the Ohme charge during cheap periods and have the car decide if it will accept it or not according to the profile - that's the plan in theory, anyway!
Happy to report back costs when I get them though.

Docjonday

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm a bit the same as you - might be moving in the next year or so and don't really see the point of installing anything permanent. This way I can take the Ohme with me and keep the OLEV grant in reserve (assuming it's still running in a year or so).
I can't tell you much at this point because I don't have the quote from the electrician (plus he's doing other work at the same time) and I don't have the Taycan (or the PMCC) either!
What I can tell you is the the Ohme doesn't know about the Taycan charge level because there's no API integration as of yet, but this is probably no different with other non-Porsche EV chargers. I'll just set the charge profile to 85% in the car and just have the Ohme charge during cheap periods and have the car decide if it will accept it or not according to the profile - that's the plan in theory, anyway!
Happy to report back costs when I get them though.
Thanks again Steve. It's looking like my Taycan, that was promised to be delivered by the dealer before year end, is now coming in Jan. Plus, using an independent electrician to fit the required ancillaries during lockdown will likely prove easier than securing a slot with one of the corporate entities for a full install. Hence, I'd be hugely grateful if could post installation costs once you have these and will pause for now any decisions in the meantime.

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just FYI, I had my Smart Meter install scheduled for today. The engineer turned up but couldn't complete the installation because a previous installer had completely rounded off one of the screw heads.. so the DNO need to visit now to replace some equipment before the Smart Meter can be installed. That has to be within 28 days apparently, but then I'll have to re-book my Smart Meter install - which took me 6 months to get an appointment last time :rolleyes: .
Looks like it'll be a while before I get cheap-rate electricity to charge my Taycan.

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Docjonday Got my estimate from the sparky - £650+VAT (£780 inc) to fit a new consumer unit (mines from the 70's), run external armoured cable to my garage to meet modern regs (not related to the charger install) and fit a commando socket for the charger. Didn't seem too bad to me. If you have a modern consumer unit I think it should be substantially less.

putty_thing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e39 M5
Country flag
I'm planning to go down the socket route too rather than a dedicated charger - I'll need a bigger cable out to the garage in either case.

Plan to use the Porsche charger on a 32a socket as a semi-permanent install and have the Ohme for a portable on the road option with a standard plug. The Ohme looks smaller than the Porsche unit too which is a bonus.

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
I'm planning to go down the socket route too rather than a dedicated charger - I'll need a bigger cable out to the garage in either case.

Plan to use the Porsche charger on a 32a socket as a semi-permanent install and have the Ohme for a portable on the road option with a standard plug. The Ohme looks smaller than the Porsche unit too which is a bonus.
Do you know cost for just the 32a socket roughly? Am I right in just saying this is a socket that gets wired up to normal electrics but with the round plug in type socket?

Isn’t the Porsche charger 2.5m long? Will this length work? Does the Porsche charger have connectors for 3 pin and 32a?

old seadog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4CT
Country flag
Do you know cost for just the 32a socket roughly? Am I right in just saying this is a socket that gets wired up to normal electrics but with the round plug in type socket?

Isn’t the Porsche charger 2.5m long? Will this length work? Does the Porsche charger have connectors for 3 pin and 32a?
Good video https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=dfZehMDrQ6k&usg=AOvVaw1TO8-xIQw57JuE1cQM9vbb
Video by Porsche Chester details set up for the charger, does come with 3 pin and blue industrial 32 A.
For industrial 32A switched socket you will need a dedicated 32A supply, could be fed from your consumer unit if there is space for extra mcb.

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Good video https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=dfZehMDrQ6k&usg=AOvVaw1TO8-xIQw57JuE1cQM9vbb
Video by Porsche Chester details set up for the charger, does come with 3 pin and blue industrial 32 A.
For industrial 32A switched socket you will need a dedicated 32A supply, could be fed from your consumer unit if there is space for extra mcb.
Thanks for this. I’d discounted the Porsche charger but now wondering if I should stick with this mounted on the middle front pillar, and get a 32a mounted there.

If I have a 32a plug ( in the U.K.) fitted I can use the Porsche charger and will get the same 7kw charge as pod point/ Anderson etc?

Does the Porsche lead allow setting timers so I can charge when rates cheaper overnight?

Does anyone actually keep it in the car and ever use use the lead away from home?

I think I’ve ordered the Porsche lead that is 2.5m. Anyone had any joy swopping it for the longer 7.5m one after delivery?

old seadog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4CT
Country flag
Yes you will get the same as any other charger , Anderson etc, timed charging all available.
I would leave it fixed up in your garage and just have a type2 to type 2 lead for journeys away, 5 metre is a good length. Porsche supply ones are over priced, plenty good quality leads available online.

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Yes you will get the same as any other charger , Anderson etc, timed charging all available.
I would leave it fixed up in your garage and just have a type2 to type 2 lead for journeys away, 5 metre is a good length. Porsche supply ones are over priced, plenty good quality leads available online.
Sorry, being a bit simple, so I mount the Porsche charger in the cart lodge. 2.5m wouldn’t be long enough to give me the ability to park the car noise in if I put the 32a socket on the middle front post ( if I mount on the middle post I can charge outside if needed). So I’d need to buy a 5m lead already? Would this be type 2 to type 2? Do you mean keep the original Porsche 2.5m lead for nights away?

putty_thing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e39 M5
Country flag
I have to get a new cable out there, along with a new consumer unit out in the garage plus the socket - it came out to just over £1000.

I imagine with a suitable supply already in place you'd be looking at circa £250 given you only need a module for the consumer unit, some cable and the socket itself (plus an electrician).

Yes, you can swap the input lead on the charger. From what I've read it detects which lead it connected and adjusts the charging rate accordingly.

Sorry, being a bit simple, so I mount the Porsche charger in the cart lodge. 2.5m wouldn’t be long enough to give me the ability to park the car noise in if I put the 32a socket on the middle front post ( if I mount on the middle post I can charge outside if needed). So I’d need to buy a 5m lead already? Would this be type 2 to type 2? Do you mean keep the original Porsche 2.5m lead for nights away?
You can get type 2 extension leads to make the output lead from the charger stretch further, it's not ideal but I think I'll probably end up doing it as the way the cars get parked mine ends up furthest from the garage. First one I found on Google: https://www.4ev.co.uk/type-2-5m-extension-cable

I think I’ve ordered the Porsche lead that is 2.5m. Anyone had any joy swopping it for the longer 7.5m one after delivery?
I only read about this being an option after the spec was locked, most annoying!

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Ok, so for the 32a socket I’d also need a consumer unit. Googling suggests around £30 for a socket and £30 for a consumer unit (small white box). Am I on the right track? So, this plus cabling plus electrician cost. Then a longer 5m lead around £150 as Porsche 2.5m wouldn’t reach.

So, really not much change out of £400 to use the pmcc?

Pondering just going for the podpoint now as this would be £550 after grant. I thought the 32a socket option and pmcc would be cheap but doesn’t seem it unless I’m missing something?
Sponsored