Pod point a good choice and where to mount?

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
Anyone know how much the zappi v2 costs installed in U.K. roughly. Can see various sites but not are very clear!
Around £800 inclusive and with the OLEV grant applied. This is for the tethered version. Untethered is obviously cheaper...
Sponsored

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
Dumb question of the day. Which side is which from a charging port perspective on a U.K. the car?

Agree on your door comment.

Doesn't the PP have wireless updates and an app? Haven’t considered the regulated charging. Is this something I need? Think pp now comes with a 7.5m cable ( used to be 4.8m or so). Not sure what solarpv is but don’t have solar panels and won’t be considering the unless the incentives start again, and payback time reduces.
I think you can use both for AC charging. I think DC is only on the drivers side.

mikeyyn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S. BMW X5, Golf GTi,
Country flag
hi,

I have been quoted £850 For supply and installation for a Zappi (including the hub required to make it smart)after the application of the grant if I get a sparky to do a bit of prep, or £1150 if they take it direct from the incoming main. This is to a detached garage with its own distribution board that needs upgrading.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I have had a zappi v2 for previous six months and it has been flawless. Mine is located in a underground car park (under my apartment block) and so it is unable to connect to a network (which requires a hub device), so I can't use any apps or update its firmware.
Consider using your phone as an hotspot to allow the zappi to update its firmware.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Consider using your phone as an hotspot to allow the zappi to update its firmware.
It is located a few floors underground with zero cell coverage. This also impacts vehicle tracker PVT+.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
It is located a few floors underground with zero cell coverage. This also impacts vehicle tracker PVT+.
I am in the same situation. No cell and no WiFi at my parking spot. I bought the Flo charger. Looks and works great - I just don’t have the car yet.

snb7x

First Name
Bertie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan S, Z4 3.0i Conv, VW Golf & Taycan Turbo (awaited)
Country flag
Middle brick post was an option as this was would I could chart outside also. Only worry on this is if i did fit doors that middle post may get modified!
Your cente pier is presently 430mm (from what i can see (2 x 215mm brick approx)

I “lost” 250mm when my double doors were installed. I opted for “Wallbox Pulsar plus” and it’s fine (altho patchy for wifi signal so if there are software upgrades I’ll need to be careful)

Wallbox is neat 165mm so it’s a solution for you - there’s a holster for the cable / charger nozzle etc but cable needs to be managed if your more precise about this than me - but as others advised I would:

1. park in garage (nose first)

2. Install charger on rear garage wall towards right / drivers side of where your plan to park the EV.

(it should be a fast simple install too if that is your meter box I see in back left corner!)

Only caveat is make sure you’ve wifi or scope for ethernet cable to your charge point.

(my install is exterior and works great - I’ve too busy a garage with a Z4 convertible and loads of clutter - plus the Taycan is a brute in terms of width and will reduce your garage circulation space!)

Porsche Taycan Pod point a good choice and where to mount? 45BCD988-D72C-477C-B547-C17459BD4B22

SteveMc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Is Anderson worth double if you forget aesthetics? If inside the garage not so worried as long as it wraps around for tidyness. Will check zappi out this evening.

WiFi signal good in garage as have by complete WiFi and have a disc in the garage as have a cctv camera in there and needed the disc to get this working.
The Andersen is only really worth getting for the aesthetics. It does have an Alexa skill though :CWL:

Docjonday

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Having spent a little time researching this, I think I've concluded that one of the better options is the Octopus EO Mini Pro, provided by Octopus Energy. I'm already an Octopus customer, so don't need to charge provider for this. Plus, the EO Mini Pro seems to be quite functional and takes advantage of Octopus Energy's 5.5 per kWh tariff between 12.30am and 4.30am. The Anderson wins hands down for Aesthetics, but a 7kWh charger for £500 after factoring in the grant seems good value. The customer service thus far has also been top notch. I just hope Octopus Energy now get their backsides in gear regarding migrating me to a smart meter to take advantage of the tariff. I'm a little worried that Covid excuses will see the install take place after my new Taycan 4S arrives in early Dec.

kevinod

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera 971
Country flag
I have a pod point and have had one a while (Hybrid Panamera before the Taycan).

Never had any issues with it, and when I mentioned I was changing to a Taycan, I retained the existing unit as the switches inside were just changed to give 7kW, so no extra cost.

Im an electrician by trade so obviously knew about earthing arrangements etc for EV chargers. Most have this taken care of now, but you may require an additional earth rod installing with some chargers which can bump the price at survey time.

Ultimately they all really do the same job. If you use solar, I would recommend Zappi as this integrates better than anyone else's. If you want a nice looking unit, pay the extra and get an Andersen as they are by far the best looking unit on the market. For all other installs, just get the cheapest.

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Having spent a little time researching this, I think I've concluded that one of the better options is the Octopus EO Mini Pro, provided by Octopus Energy. I'm already an Octopus customer, so don't need to charge provider for this. Plus, the EO Mini Pro seems to be quite functional and takes advantage of Octopus Energy's 5.5 per kWh tariff between 12.30am and 4.30am. The Anderson wins hands down for Aesthetics, but a 7kWh charger for £500 after factoring in the grant seems good value. The customer service thus far has also been top notch. I just hope Octopus Energy now get their backsides in gear regarding migrating me to a smart meter to take advantage of the tariff. I'm a little worried that Covid excuses will see the install take place after my new Taycan 4S arrives in early Dec.
The other option (if you're a cheapskate like me) is to buy the Ohme charger from Octopus which is discounted to £199. I'm getting an electrician to fit a Commando socket to use with it. The Ohme is fully integrated into Octopus' Agile tariff so knows all of the charging costs for each 30-minute slot of the next 24 hours and can pick the cheapest charge times.
BTW, I've been on the list for a Smart Meter since March and have only just got my appointment for installation, 2nd November. There's quite a backlog. Apparently the slots are released every Monday morning - there's a page on the website you can go to to book, customer services gave me a URL to use for this and I just kept trying.

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
If I was you I would stick the Pod-Point on the back wall in the centre. I would get an untethered unit with a 7.5m length cable. This will easily reach the port on the Taycan even if you park backwards. All chargers work with the Taycan.

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Hmm, thanks for all the inputs, although more confused then when I started!

Any views on the U.K. lockdown and impact on fitting? I read the gov guidance and got the impression fitters will still be allowed to fit?

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
If I was you I would stick the Pod-Point on the back wall in the centre. I would get an untethered unit with a 7.5m length cable. This will easily reach the port on the Taycan even if you park backwards. All chargers work with the Taycan.
Must admit I’m thinking sticking with the PP as I don’t know enough about the others to differentiate!

Why do you suggest untethered as the one thing i thought I had decided was it would be tethered! ?
Sponsored