Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I know it's a completely different kind of car, but did anyone consider the Polestar 2 (or even 1)? I have one coming by for a test drive today just to check it out.
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I know it's a completely different kind of car, but did anyone consider the Polestar 2 (or even 1)? I have one coming by for a test drive today just to check it out.
your pics and review are eagerly awaited

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
My dad (81 years old and buying his first EV) took delivery of his Polestar 2 a few weeks ago. He came from an E-Class diesel. He absolutely loves it. It's great looking in person, he said equally as luxurious as his E-class (he has the loaded Polestar interior), and a much better infotainment. He really likes how they integrated Google into the system. He also has been really happen with their service so far. They brought the car to his house for two different test drives, and on delivery day. They also helped walk through connecting his cell phone to the car over the phone. He's not the most tech savvy person.

My mom was completely skeptical of an EV, and now she wants to drive it all of the time instead of her BMW X3.

He test drove a Model Y, ID.4, E-tron, and Mach-E. He narrowed the choice down to the E-tron and Polestar 2, and decided the Polestar was more fun to drive, although slightly less luxurious compared to the E-tron.

Porsche Taycan Polestar 2 aaf5a16e-6687-48f4-bcde-a57012c46a83

Porsche Taycan Polestar 2 68bffdf1-7862-4d5d-81ac-446e458cd5eb

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I test drove it and frankly liked both the VW ID4 and Mustang Mach E better. The Polestar carried vast amounts of road noise into the cabin and the software left a lot to be desired. Overpriced IMHO.

menzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mino cooper S, waiting for taycan CT
Country flag
I test drove it twice, once in the city and one in NJ suburbs. First time was meh but warmed up to me the second time. I had a Volvo so I felt it was a familiar place, drove better than the Volvo but I do agree that I think it is overpriced by 5-10k.

I like that the navigation is google, I don’t see the point of auto manufacturers providing a separate navigation. I always use google maps so it’s nice to have it integrated with the car and HUD.
Also the infotainment system didn’t seem very intuitive.
in addition to missing few features and price that what pulled me away; ventilated seats and no cover for the moonroof (Taycan doesn’t have one but I feel it’s protection is better)

last point, I felt it looked boring and also since coming from a Volvo I didn’t think that I’m changing anything other than it being an ev.

menzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@menzz : how looks price tag?
When I was looking at it, It was almost 70k but since you asked I looked at their website and it seems that they have reduced it.

i guess they fixed the price issue and I stand corrected on it being over priced.

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
amelen

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
When I was looking at it, It was almost 70k but since you asked I looked at their website and it seems that they have reduced it.

i guess they fixed the price issue and I stand corrected on it being over priced.
2021 is only the performance (dual motor) model. You're looking at close to $70k, minus $7,500 federal credit, and they sell a few grand below MSRP.

2022's will come with FWD models that are cheaper. Dual-motor will still land close to $70k.

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag

No, it's still overpriced once you start adding the options.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Its a really fun car for its price point. It doesn't handle like a Taycan, but try and push it on the twisty roads to test its capabilities. Hopefully you get the Performance pack with the Ohlins shocks.
I did a 1 hour intensive drive in some canyons with the delivery guy working with McLaren so he was open to having fun

It sits high like a CUV which I don't like, but Its an attractive design. Pay attention to the frameless side mirrors

Not a fan of tablet infotainment but its very snappy and is basically a android phone

I loved the color, but not the vegan interior.

Porsche Taycan Polestar 2 20201112_110929

Porsche Taycan Polestar 2 20201112_110904

Polestar 1 really isn't for sale, its the the same price as Tayan 4s and its a plugin Hybrid.

The design is stunning and interior quality is impressive.
Porsche Taycan Polestar 2 20200820_171535

Porsche Taycan Polestar 2 20200820_171556

Porsche Taycan Polestar 2 20200820_171544

All CF body panels. Lifting the hood you can see the CF weave under the hood, lots of attention to detail
Porsche Taycan Polestar 2 20200820_171639

menzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, it's still overpriced once you start adding the options.
I configured it now. Looks to be 68k for all options including performance. It’s just a tad overpriced considering you can still get the 7500 tax credit. It competition is the model 3 and y Tesla’s which are between 50-55 so it’s interesting.

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Funny you should post this, as I just saw my second one in person this morning. l have been very interested in the Polestar as I am a former Volvo owner, and general Volvo fan and know people that work for Volvo US. So the idea of the Polestar 2 as a replacement for my Model 3 has always been strong.

Then I saw photos of the production car and my interest waned somewhat. While I like the porportions mostly, the high-riding sedan setup continually brings up images of the AMC Eagle to me.

Nonetheless I determined to remain positive. Unfortunately there is no Polestar "space" here in Houston. There's one in Austin but I haven't been out there lately. I noticed there was one right around the corner from @daveo4EV and he graciously took the time to go check it out for me.

Unfortunately his review was less than glowing. He can expand if he wants, but the best he could say about it was "it's all right". Criticisms included a very cramped center console situation, somewhat low rent materials for the price (and Dave's owned a Model 3 so he's no stranger to this situation) and less than inspiring performance. Add that to the slightly odd looks and the quite high price tag for the money and he just couldn't see an objective reason to recommend it over a Model 3, unless you simply wanted to avoid Tesla and their interior (which are both legitimate reasons).

I still have not cemented my opinion, however after Dave's report I finally saw one in person parked on the street. I have to say I can understand where he was coming from with the center console and the interior materials. And the styling did not further resolve itself in my eyes in the flesh. This morning I saw another one driving and again felt similarly underwhelmed.

They're coming to Houston in October to do test drives so I won't say that I'll completely give up on it, but certainly it can't compete even with a Model 3 on looks, and that's saying something. It would be hard for me to spend more than my Model 3 Performance and give up well over a second in performance and perhaps room, range and efficiency as well.

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Its a really fun car for its price point. It doesn't handle like a Taycan, but try and push it on the twisty roads to test its capabilities. Hopefully you get the Performance pack with the Ohlins shocks.
I did a 1 hour intensive drive in some canyons with the delivery guy working with McLaren so he was open to having fun

It sits high like a CUV which I don't like, but Its an attractive design. Pay attention to the frameless side mirrors

Not a fan of tablet infotainment but its very snappy and is basically a android phone

I loved the color, but not the vegan interior.

20201112_110929.jpg
What color exterior is that? Looks quite blue.