First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Is this a justified action?
German companies are heavily directed by a workers council. Volkswagen announced it would let go employees in Wolfsburg and move EV production to new factories in different cities. Workers in Wolfsburg didn't like this. It sounds like now VW will try to keep production in their 50+ year old factories in Wolfsburg. VW will find it hard to keep up with the competition using old factories while Tesla builds new factories from scratch. But he's lucky he still has a job.
Consider what VW did over the last 5 years in the EV space compared with BMW (who had a great platform 10 years ago and then did nothing to develop that platform until two years ago). VW has the Taycan, the ID4 and the e-tron. This is pretty impressive.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
. It sounds like now VW will try to keep production in their 50+ year old factories in Wolfsburg. VW will find it hard to keep up with the competition using old factories while Tesla builds new factories from scratch. .
VW confirmed a plan to add a new electric car factory near its global headquarters in Wolfsburg.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
there is no denying Tesla’s influence on the industry - people can throw rocks all they want - but this _IS_ the Tesla business model

We are becoming a battery manufacturer, a charging infrastructure manager, software is playing a more dominant role ... we are developing new business activities with an unbelievable dimension for us,"

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
This is the guy who brought Volkswagen/Porsche into the electric future. Is this a justified action?

https://www.autonews.com/executives/herbert-diess-keeps-ceo-job-vw-increases-ev-spending-catch-tesla

Many other articles out there.
I am surprised that Diess is staying in the role. He is a marionette now. The Unions did not like the message, but that will not change the future. Once Tesla gets their factory in Berlin going it will be brutal for VW and others. Anybody that needs three times the hours to produce one car is doomed in my mind. Nothing the Unions can stop, even if they are trying to Unionise the Tesla factory. Hope that never happens.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I am surprised that Diess is staying in the role. He is a marionette now. The Unions did not like the message, but that will not change the future. Once Tesla gets their factory in Berlin going it will be brutal for VW and others. Anybody that needs three times the hours to produce one car is doomed in my mind. Nothing the Unions can stop, even if they are trying to Unionise the Tesla factory. Hope that never happens.
Maybe they can demand subsidies for the horseshoe industry?

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Diess is a valuable property. If he feels hard done by he could jump ship for big bucks. Unless he has a non compete or tied up by whatever employment/compensation package he has.

garyslater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I stumbled upon this two-year-old thread and thought I'd join the conversation. It's intriguing to look back at the discussions around politics and its impact on the automotive industry, particularly in relation to Herbert Diess and his role in bringing Volkswagen/Porsche into the electric future.
While the thread may be a couple of years old, the transition to electric vehicles remains a significant trend in the industry. If you're interested in staying updated on political news, including the US President and the Republican Party Primary Election, you can check out https://www.politiq.net/US_President_Republican_Party_Primary_Election_2024 for the latest information. As for whether Diess's actions were justified, it's a subjective matter that can spark different opinions.

Last edited:

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I stumbled upon this two-year-old thread and thought I'd join the conversation. It's intriguing to look back at the discussions around politics and its impact on the automotive industry, particularly in relation to Herbert Diess and his role in bringing Volkswagen/Porsche into the electric future.
Herbert who?

Also, one could say that VAG is still not fully arrived into their electric future.
Sponsored