TIM

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes!
Country flag
I was wondering how much of you would like to have Android Auto in the Taycan . So I started this poll to find out ;)
Sponsored

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I read an article from 2018 that Porsche was going to to start offering Android Auto. And I found it interesting that Audi has offered Android auto for a while.
Dec 2018 https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/porsche-will-offer-android-auto-in-the-near-future/

I read another article on the resistance that Porsche has to offering Android Auto. Google (unlike Apple) requires car companies offering Android Auto to provide all sorts of internal vehicle performance figure. Some of which can be secret sauce of Porsche.
https://www.endurancewarranty.com/l...d-of-data-is-googles-android-auto-collecting/

How long before a Google car? Then that collected info l am sure would not be misused.

So initially I too was disappointed and confused why Porsche did not support Android Auto as even my Bolt EV does. But now I am ok with with Porsches resistance, I think standard Bluetooth phone support will be fine with all the nav support the car has. Else I may switch to Apple like most everyone in my family.

Google almost feels like the mafia pressing vendors to hand over such details to keep Android users happy. Or maybe I am misunderstanding the need Google has for such details when Apple Carplay can provide similar functionality with out that data.

Now I see CarBuz Dec 2019 article saying Porsche appears closer to an agreement.
https://carbuzz.com/news/exclusive-porsche-finally-adds-android-auto-to-its-cars
Or maybe this is just the annual Christmas promise.

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Can more people vote here, please. Looking at the very limited sample, I wonder how Porsche could conclude that all their customers are on i{hone...

Reactions: Dee

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
that’s not the conclusion Porsche has drawn.

Porsche has read the data sharing requirements for Android Auto - and concluded they don’t want to hand over that much telemetry about vehicle performance to a potential future competitor. Google requires a massive amount of data be shared for an Android Auto software License.

Vehicle performance data is a requirement for Android Auto -and performance is Porsche’s “thing” - not in their business interests.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Also, I'd say that Taycan buyers are a weird lot. Lots of people that wouldn't have bought a Porsche if it wasn't an EV. And lots of people coming from a car that doesn't even have Android Auto or CarPlay.

I switched to iPhone once CarPlay supported Waze, because Porsche is CarPlay only. Phones are cheap compared to cars, and I've had so many different smartphone OS, that I'm not married to any. (my first smart phone was a Motorola MPX-200)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
a new iPhone (top of the line) is less than most Porsche options - consider it an “option” for your vehicle - would it help if porsche added it to the options list and you paid them instead?

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I switched to an iPhone while my car was on order on the suspicion it might work better with the car. So far that hunch has proved correct.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
fully decked out iPhone 11 Pro - $1,349

most the options on your Taycan cost more than that!

about the same cost as the passenger screen that won’t work with CarPlay or Andriod Auto- so instead of the Passengerdisplay get an Iphone as your “2nd display” :rock:

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
fully decked out iPhone 11 Pro - $1,349

most the options on your Taycan cost more than that!

about the same cost as the passenger screen that won’t work with CarPlay or Andriod Auto- so instead of the Passengerdisplay get an Iphone as your “2nd display” :rock:
Personally I'm hoping for software updates to allow carplay on the passenger display in the future. But you can get the iPhone too.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
a new iPhone (top of the line) is less than most Porsche options - consider it an “option” for your vehicle - would it help if porsche added it to the options list and you paid them instead?
I am not married to Andorid, but it has features, Apple does not have.

The question is, do you know, how much data you are handing over to Apple? And how are they any less a competitor?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
CarPlay doesn’t have the large data sharing requirments - for either the vehicle or the owner.

period full stop.

https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/carplay/

CarPlay Privacy
Due to Apple's commitment to user privacy, CarPlay collects very little data from users and car manufacturers. According to information released by Porsche, Apple only collects information on whether a car is accelerating while CarPlay is in use.
This is in stark contrast to Android Auto, which collects a lot more car data when in use. Google collects vehicle speed, oil and coolant temperature, throttle position, and engine revs, constituting "a full OBD2 dump whenever someone activates Android Auto."
https://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/06/porsche-chooses-carplay-over-android-auto/

There's no technological reason the 991/2 doesn't have Android Auto playing through its massively upgraded PCM system. But there is an ethical one. As part of the agreement an automaker would have to enter with Google, certain pieces of data must be collected and mailed back to Mountain View, California. Stuff like vehicle speed, throttle position, coolant and oil temp, engine revs—basically Google wants a complete OBD2 dump whenever someone activates Android Auto. Not kosher, says Porsche.

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Reactions: TIM