atebit

atebit

First Name
Bob
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So he's showing a generic PRNDL layout for a question about a car that has a shift position for neither P or L, bolding or not. Not sure why
Because I’m assuming Porsche chose the order RND, and not DNR, NRD, NDR, etc. from the “customary” PRNDL.

Dave T

Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Good as is or bassakwards?

I understand why it’s the way it is (P-R-N-D-L), but does it make sense to flip a toggle forward to go backward & vice-versa?
It seems backwards to me too, and it took me a while to get used to it. But used to it I am now.

kreshi

First Name
Kreshi
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I want the car to read my thoughts to change to either D or R. Example given: my wife has been talking about her day at work for the past 2 hours, the car knows I want „D“ even though I have a wall in front of me.

991carreradriver

First Name
Frank
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan, 2016 GT3, 2020 Durango RT
Country flag
What mistake?
What are you talking about?
There is no center shift, never been, never will.
It's no shifter for the gearbox, it doesn't even shift gears, it's an automatic my good man.
It's a selector for driving direction of the motors, nothing more.
There isn't even a reverse gear, it's just the motor that turns the other way.
It's a shifter which goes up and down, not fwd or bwd.
You may consider it more of a clutch: engaged (D and R) or disengaged (N).

Yes, it's a ridiculous poll.
Obviously, you have not driven a PDK or you would understand my post.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
Because I’m assuming Porsche chose the order RND, and not DNR, NRD, NDR, etc. from the “customary” PRNDL.
Ok, just for the sake of a fun argument: :)

IMO, Porsche didn't choose RND arbitrarily from the "customary" PRNDL. Instead they copied the gearshift display in the instrument cluster of a normal Porsche automatic/PDK which looks like this:
P
R
N
D
M

To maintain consistency across models, the "gear" display in the instrument cluster of the Taycan therefore looks like this, while leaving off the P and M (the P because the wanted a separate button for that and the M for obvious reasons):
R
N
D

Then they designed the gear toggle to match the display for both visual and ergonomic reasons with R at the top, N in the middle, and D on the bottom.

Simple.

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes.
Country flag
Obviously, you have not driven a PDK or you would understand my post.
I understand your post but I don't understand the context.
Porsche made no mistake like they did on the PDK, exactly like I explained.
It just isn't a gear shifter.

Last edited:

kruzmisl

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S. 2019 Cayenne E-Hy.
Country flag
It’s not a silly question when you have to make this selection in a hurry. AND, Try switching between a Panamera Turbo S-E Hybrid, a Cayenne E-Hybrid, and a Taycan. The first 2 also have a shift lever that if you rest your hand on it, will accidentally move left into the manual position and lock in the gear and require you to use the paddles to shift. Or you can then manually shift by pushing the lever forward. Or is it backward? Also Porsche thought they would complicate the problem in the Taycan, especially if you valet park, by positioning this lever so it’s totally hidden behind the steering wheel! Whose on First!

Dee

First Name
Dee
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes.
Country flag
It’s not a silly question when you have to make this selection in a hurry. AND, Try switching between a Panamera Turbo S-E Hybrid, a Cayenne E-Hybrid, and a Taycan. The first 2 also have a shift lever that if you rest your hand on it, will accidentally move left into the manual position and lock in the gear and require you to use the paddles to shift. Or you can then manually shift by pushing the lever forward. Or is it backward? Also Porsche thought they would complicate the problem in the Taycan, especially if you valet park, by positioning this lever so it’s totally hidden behind the steering wheel! Whose on First!
I've driven every car in between as loaners (Panamera 4S E-Hybrid, 992 C4S, Macan GTS) while my car was updated and no, I NEVER made the "mistake" nor had I trouble to drive the cars, including mine after it...
What's wrong with you people? 😂👍🏻

DGT

First Name
Don
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Targa 4S, '21 Cayenne S, '21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The pattern in the Taycan is the same as the 992 911s, except that it is mounted on the dash (like the 918 Spyder) rather than the console. Up/forward for reverse, down/back for drive, with separate button for park. Cayenne and Panamera are the same but with more of a traditional "shifter" look for the gear selector - forward for reverse and back for drive. All seems logical to me. Just don't know how long it's going to take to get used to reaching up toward the dash for the drive selector on the Taycan....

KensingtonPark

Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2020 Audi A7; 2019 Hyundai Elantra GT; 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Country flag
Just don't know how long it's going to take to get used to reaching up toward the dash for the drive selector on the Taycan....
About a week for me. Now every time I drive another car, I forget to start the car, and I reach up to shift before I reach down! :CWL:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
There seems to be an aftermarket for nostalgia sticks among our Taycan community...
s-l300.jpg

Advertisement

ZYRUS
Advertisement