• Total voters

yman182

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi all,

Yesteday we took delivery of our 2022 Taycan 4s in standard black. Picture below
Porsche Taycan Poll - To Satin PPF or Not to Satin PPF F0CE7F47-2FC8-4520-8888-DEB4342DF723

Porsche Taycan Poll - To Satin PPF or Not to Satin PPF F7DE7B90-8534-451E-A2B6-8CD696FEB0D3

Before taking delivery we were planning to put Satin LLumar Platinum PPF on it and then ceramic coat on top, but now after seeing how amazing it looks in the piano black finish, we are having second thoughts. I wanted to see what others think! We plan to put some type of Full PPF coverage on it, just not sure which one at this point. We are taking the car in on Monday for them to get started.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Half and half, down the middle. Like two-face. Best of both worlds.

DANgerous

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Like the OP, I was also planning on PPF (and window tints) for my white Taycan RWD. However after receiving the car it already looks amazing, especially when I still have ~5k USD in my pocket! Hence no PPF or tints for me.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had given some thought to a "stealth" matte PPF, but honestly I think it's a played out fad. Once I started to focus on what cars had it (lots of range rovers, g-wagens and supercars) and how they actually looked, I decided it wasn't for me. To each their own, but it kinda gives me d-bag vibes.

darth_maul_80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 , Taycan GTS
Country flag
Personally I like both. But, I think I would get bored of the satin look after a while so I would say stay with regular ppf and enjoy the shininess of your car all the time.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
I don't see a need for most owners to do the entire car, just the front facing surfaces that are at risk for flying debris.

And with regard to satin PPF, I'm not a fan. My advice would be to stick with shiny on your beautiful black car.

OP
OP
yman182

yman182

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think the sedan looks great in gloss black - however I find the satin look really fits the rugged look of the CT (image from a member of a Swedish forum)
IMG_0605.jpeg
Is that the standard black or Jet Black?

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
IMO, matte black is played out. If it were a different color, I'd vote satin (Satin Frozen Berry or Frozen Blue would look fantastic). But black? Stick with shiny.

Also, IMO, PPF on the whole car is overrated unless you feel like it's saved you in the past. I've only ever done the front clip on my cars and didn't regret it. And I live in Houston, home of road debris.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Hi all,

Yesteday we took delivery of our 2022 Taycan 4s in standard black. Picture below
F0CE7F47-2FC8-4520-8888-DEB4342DF723.jpeg

F7DE7B90-8534-451E-A2B6-8CD696FEB0D3.jpeg

Before taking delivery we were planning to put Satin LLumar Platinum PPF on it and then ceramic coat on top, but now after seeing how amazing it looks in the piano black finish, we are having second thoughts. I wanted to see what others think! We plan to put some type of Full PPF coverage on it, just not sure which one at this point. We are taking the car in on Monday for them to get started.
I'm somewhat of a heretic on this site when it comes to PPF, but I drive a jet black Taycan and therefore feel compelled to weigh-in. I put zero PPF on the car but did a full ceramic coating. I also ditched the amber side markers, blacked out the stupid red reflectors on the quarter panels, and threw on 50% window tint on sides and rear (subtle but nice difference -- and I can still see at night). IMHO the car looks about as good as a car can look. Your car is black and badass (nice touch with the all black wheels by the way), I'd leave it that way. In my experience, there is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent some A-hole from dinging your doors, bumpers, etc. and PPF will not save you. I just wait for the A-holes to damage my car, and then have the body shop take care of any stone chips on the front bumper while they are fixing the other stuff. Remember: routine maintenance, not PPF, is man's only weapon against entropy!

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I'm somewhat of a heretic on this site when it comes to PPF, but I drive a jet black Taycan and therefore feel compelled to weigh-in. I put zero PPF on the car but did a full ceramic coating. I also ditched the amber side markers, blacked out the stupid red reflectors on the quarter panels, and threw on 50% window tint on sides and rear (subtle but nice difference -- and I can still see at night). IMHO the car looks about as good as a car can look. Your car is black and badass (nice touch with the all black wheels by the way), I'd leave it that way. In my experience, there is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent some A-hole from dinging your doors, bumpers, etc. and PPF will not save you. I just wait for the A-holes to damage my car, and then have the body shop take care of any stone chips on the front bumper while they are fixing the other stuff. Remember: routine maintenance, not PPF, is man's only weapon against entropy!
I'm actually doing the same mods you mention above but would differ re your perspective on PPF vs ceramic - have a few stories but one that sticks out is when an idiot driver in a Nissan side swiped the front side of my M4 - when I got out I was fully expecting torn PPF, paint damage etc.- I was seriously blown away when all I saw there were some marks that when I got home I literally buffed out in a couple of minutes and you would never tell anything at all happened! I've had ceramics before and with that car too and can guarantee I'd have paint damage if thats all I had on that day. Don't want to derail this thread and as you know, everyone's MMV but personally have never regretted PPF, quite the opposite.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
I'm actually doing the same mods you mention above but would differ re your perspective on PPF vs ceramic - have a few stories but one that sticks out is when an idiot driver in a Nissan side swiped the front side of my M4 - when I got out I was fully expecting torn PPF, paint damage etc.- I was seriously blown away when all I saw there were some marks that when I got home I literally buffed out in a couple of minutes and you would never tell anything at all happened! I've had ceramics before and with that car too and can guarantee I'd have paint damage if thats all I had on that day. Don't want to derail this thread and as you know, everyone's MMV but personally have never regretted PPF, quite the opposite.
Apparently the Nissan driver is a kinder, gentler A-hole than the folks who tend to run into me. ;)My last incident involved a yahoo in a pick-up truck who smashed into my parked car (thankfully not the Taycan) in a Chipotle parking lot. I agree that PPF body-condoms on the Taycan can help matters, but they provide little protection when you are sharing the road with the Lorena Bobbitts of the world.
Sponsored