OP
yman182

yman182

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have never gotten PPF before to be honest, but this is also my first Porsche. I have a buddy that is putting the PPF on so we are getting a smoking deal.

I am doing similar:
  • Clear side markers were installed at the dealer
  • We are doing 35% tints because IL is a horrible state and that is the max allowed by law. My other car (Q7) has darker tints and I have gotten tickets for them on multiple occasions.
  • Light tint on the front headlights
  • Didn't think about the quarter panel reflectors. I may do that also.
The big decision is the PPF. My wife loves the satin look, but the Shiny Black is amazing. Only down side I see with the Shiny is on the short trip from the Dealer to the house, it is already dirty.
Sponsored

Foreal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i8 roadster
Country flag
I usually love matte, I previously had a frozen bronze 650 that always got compliments for its color..BUT..I think matte works a lot better with cars that have more aggressive lines and angles. On more rounded cars like the Taycan, I think gloss works better. Just my 2 cents!

Roppe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S MY22
Country flag
I usually love matte, I previously had a frozen bronze 650 that always got compliments for its color..BUT..I think matte works a lot better with cars that have more aggressive lines and angles. On more rounded cars like the Taycan, I think gloss works better. Just my 2 cents!
so torn. How good does this matte green look though?

Porsche Taycan Poll - To Satin PPF or Not to Satin PPF 8F7DB12C-C62A-4BD9-8C57-EA363EBDEFC1

Porsche Taycan Poll - To Satin PPF or Not to Satin PPF DFCA1128-FD6E-4AE6-8187-EB1E2F3FE97A

Foreal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i8 roadster
Country flag
so torn. How good does this matte green look though?

8F7DB12C-C62A-4BD9-8C57-EA363EBDEFC1.jpeg

DFCA1128-FD6E-4AE6-8187-EB1E2F3FE97A.jpeg
It does look good, I can’t deny that, buuut, I still think the gloss would look better. And I’m a huge fan of matte

OP
OP
yman182

yman182

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So our biggest driver for going matte is that after 40 minutes of driving the gloss black was absolutely filthy. The matte will help make it look cleaner longer. I think both look amazing

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I'm somewhat of a heretic on this site when it comes to PPF, but I drive a jet black Taycan and therefore feel compelled to weigh-in. I put zero PPF on the car but did a full ceramic coating. I also ditched the amber side markers, blacked out the stupid red reflectors on the quarter panels, and threw on 50% window tint on sides and rear (subtle but nice difference -- and I can still see at night). IMHO the car looks about as good as a car can look. Your car is black and badass (nice touch with the all black wheels by the way), I'd leave it that way. In my experience, there is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent some A-hole from dinging your doors, bumpers, etc. and PPF will not save you. I just wait for the A-holes to damage my car, and then have the body shop take care of any stone chips on the front bumper while they are fixing the other stuff. Remember: routine maintenance, not PPF, is man's only weapon against entropy!
Actually, PPF will prevent quite a bit of A-hole damage to your car. Door dings and even keying can be fixed. Lots of videos showing keying, scratching etc. Check out this amusing video:

PPF should help you avoid a repaint in anything but the most severe damage. The Porsche paint is so good, I've had scratches down to the metal on my previous Panamera repaired by just heating the paint. Any minor dents can easily be repaired.