Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have had my Taycon Turbo since July and am in love with the car, save one major problem: Satellite reception cuts in and out when on local streets that are heavily treed near my house. I have 3 other cars with absolutely no issues at all in the same spots. Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone have a suggestion on how to boost the antenna reception?
Sponsored

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I have had my Taycon Turbo since July and am in love with the car, save one major problem: Satellite reception cuts in and out when on local streets that are heavily treed near my house. I have 3 other cars with absolutely no issues at all in the same spots. Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone have a suggestion on how to boost the antenna reception?
I totally experience this. It seems to be a result of the design choice NOT to include a shark fin antenna on the roof. Not sure there is much that could be done apart from hacking the antenna array to install a shark fin. Not sure I would trade better reception for a shark fin.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
I was wondering why you'd want the radio when there's the high-revving 16k rpm engine to listen to. But then I noticed you have the turbo, which really muffles the sound.

OP
OP
Skier

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I was wondering why you'd want the radio when there's the high-revving 16k rpm engine to listen to. But then I noticed you have the turbo, which really muffles the sound.
I guess I'm just used to listening to a radio without loosing the signal either during a song or listening to news. I can't imagine why you would question this.

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
Any idea whether the reception Is improved with a metal roof vs panoramic roof?

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Any idea whether the reception Is improved with a metal roof vs panoramic roof?
None of the pictures of the metal roof I have seen have a shark fin antenna. My understanding is that the antenna is in the rear windshield. The metal would be a variable from a radio wave standpoint, so it is definitely different. But the antenna design itself is the inefficiency here, so my suspicion is that it would not be better.

DeciusCaeciliusMetellus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Country flag
Sirius gets a new satellite in about a month. Maybe the problem will simply vanish on its own.
https://www.spacelaunchschedule.com/launch-schedule/launch-details.php?id=1416

Mike V

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
918, Taycan GTS ST, Tesla Model S P100D
Country flag
I also have this issue. My previous Panamera Turbo S e-Hybrid did not suffer the same sort of dropouts under trees.

The Panamera SDARS antenna was under the rear "sunroof" glass in a recess in the metal roof-support structure.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Yup, I've noticed this from day 1 as well...

IMHO: It appears that Porsche is not buffering the sat feed (as virtually EVERY OTHER AUTO MFR DOES). They SHOULD be buffering 3-5 secs of audio for transient losses of reception: XM Radio Buffering

This appears to be Yet Another Porsche Software Issue (#YAPSI). :(

I would be curious if this happens in other Porsche Vehicles. I don't know why they would be using different SiriusXM firmware/software in the Taycan...

Christian J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 1997 C2S, 1979 Turbo, 1976 3.0
Country flag
It's definitely worse on my Taycan than any other car I've had with satellite. Annoying.

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2021 Audi Q7
Country flag
Hi all - Did anyone ever find a solution by chance? I have a Taycan on order and I’m a bit nervous about this as I almost exclusively only listen to SiriusXM when in the car. When test driving one at the dealer (it was a 2020, and I have a 2021 on order if that makes a difference?), I did notice a drop out of SiriusXM for a few seconds, but thought nothing of it. Seeing this thread has me a little bit panicked noting it is a more widespread issue and that was not just a one-off occurrence on my test drive. Thanks!

OP
OP
Skier

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hi all - Did anyone ever find a solution by chance? I have a Taycan on order and I’m a bit nervous about this as I almost exclusively only listen to SiriusXM when in the car. When test driving one at the dealer (it was a 2020, and I have a 2021 on order if that makes a difference?), I did notice a drop out of SiriusXM for a few seconds, but thought nothing of it. Seeing this thread has me a little bit panicked noting it is a more widespread issue and that was not just a one-off occurrence on my test drive. Thanks!
No and its still annoying.
Sponsored