felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
It looks amazing. But its a development work horse. The final car will probably have flavors of this and the Mission R and also the Vision Gran Turismo.... . . But according to Porsche Switzerland its been delayed until at least 2026........ Hopefully they are wrong :)

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
I like the sound.

Looked at the second movie. In that movie the sound is very annoying.

OP
OP
RAHRCR

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
It sounded cool in the first movie.
But is indeed super annoying in the second movie.
Very much agree. The sound in the 2nd movie is a reason not to buy a sports EV. I am guessing that they would fix. It’s terrible.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
It sounds laughably awful.

All it's missing is a few TAMIYA decals.

The production car will have an artificial engine soundtrack.

I await the first supercar brand to develop an EV engine that not only provides the performance (evidently easy, where even Hyundai are doing this), but actually does sound good mechanically rather than artificially, without impeding on performance/efficiency.

Who knows if that is possible, but it's surely needed. Otherwise what will separate the luxury marques from the rest, where performance is a key differentiator?

If performance all becomes equal, the luxury brands will be hanging onto the remnants of a brand image anchored around the nostalgia of their former V8, V10 or V12. That isn't sustainable where EVs will ultimately descend into a game of who provides the best driving experience.

Like after WWII where new technology saw Ferrari, Lambo and others leapfrog previous luxury car brands that could no longer innovate quickly enough, we are entering an era of automobile technology that's accelerating at an ever increasing rate.

Who's to say the incumbent luxury car makers might find themselves with dwindling sales as new luxury startups with far more exciting and innovative EVs take their market share?

History always repeats. Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin, and even Bugatti should be worried.

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
Energica is making electric motorcycles with noisy gearboxes. They do it on purpose. But many potential customers see it as a disadvantage.
The advantage of electronic fake sound is that you can turn it off on days that you just want to enjoy the silence of your EV.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Very much agree. The sound in the 2nd movie is a reason not to buy a sports EV. I am guessing that they would fix. It’s terrible.
That is a prototype race car. A production sports car would sound nothing like that.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Your guess is as good as mine….
No, it’s not a guess. Porsche has said that this is a prototype race car targeted at a single marque race series. The project lead in that video even says this is good because they don’t have to homologate. The noise is gear whine. Notice there’s way less of that on the Taycan?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
It sounded cool in the first movie.
But is indeed super annoying in the second movie.
A lot of that is gear noise from the straight cut racing reduction ‘box.
Normal on racing cars but will be fixed using helical gears for any road car, as normal.

OP
OP
RAHRCR

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
No, it’s not a guess. Porsche has said that this is a prototype race car targeted at a single marque race series. The project lead in that video even says this is good because they don’t have to homologate. The noise is gear whine. Notice there’s way less of that on the Taycan?
LOL…

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
I await the first supercar brand to develop an EV engine that not only provides the performance (evidently easy, where even Hyundai are doing this), but actually does sound good mechanically rather than artificially, without impeding on performance/efficiency.
You'd need to define what "good" is.

An electric motor can never sound like an ICE one without artificial intervention.

A good electric motor will be near silent - sound is just energy being wasted. I think most of what you get is air movement and bearing noise (which should be near zero).

People will just get used to the lack of noise. Eventually it'll seem really old hat to have huge noises to most people (I'll be keeping hold of at least one ICE car I think, maybe a couple. And I still miss F1 V12 and V10 engines etc...but the times they are a changin).

Marques will need to find other ways to differentiate themselves which, of course, they already do. That's why we all want a Taycan rather than a Tesla :)
Sponsored