NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just to be slightly controversial I'm not (yet) 100% convinced the OTA module is the culprit here. Many folk have had theirs changed and some are on their second. That would suggest a recall campaign is needed to pre-empt the wave that is coming.
There IS a TSB for MY2020 OTA modules - the 2020 firmware can allow the OTA module to get itself into a secured state that can't be recovered without removal from the car. This is fixed in MY2021. It doesn't seem to be something that can be done without removing the module from the car.
I've had issues with Porsche Connect doing all of the above but apart from randomly resolving itself on at least 2 occasions I've resorted to performing a complete PCM reset.

Perhaps if you have an assumed OTA issue and have never fully reset your PCM then give that a whirl.
Fully reset means factory reset. This will fail (after about 5 minutes of spinning blue circle) if your OTA module is faulty. 12V disconnect on the vehicle then factory reset will allow factory reset to succeed but will not fix the fault in the OTA module. Point being, if you try factory reset and it doesn't work, try 12V disconnect first, then repeat. If it works but doesn't solve whatever problem you are trying to solve, at least you can say you've done this step...
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Seat settings saved to the door 1-2-3 buttons are saved in the car, not in the cloud for the last logged in user. Have you tried that?
Thanks, yes I have done that now, but had not done so earlier. I had to reset the different settings one by one and learnEd the proper way to save that now. Still irritating that it resets to values that I have never used. And I have used only my own key, never the second key. I had thought they would be stored in the key. So that if I use my key the car knows it’s me and sets the seats etc the way I had them.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
There IS a TSB for MY2020 OTA modules - the 2020 firmware can allow the OTA module to get itself into a secured state that can't be recovered without removal from the car. This is fixed in MY2021. It doesn't seem to be something that can be done without removing the module from the car.
I've had issues with Porsche Connect doing all of the above but apart from randomly resolving itself on at least 2 occasions I've resorted to performing a complete PCM reset.

Fully reset means factory reset. This will fail (after about 5 minutes of spinning blue circle) if your OTA module is faulty. 12V disconnect on the vehicle then factory reset will allow factory reset to succeed but will not fix the fault in the OTA module. Point being, if you try factory reset and it doesn't work, try 12V disconnect first, then repeat. If it works but doesn't solve whatever problem you are trying to solve, at least you can say you've done this step...
Thx - my car is MY21

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
A full reset is the first thing they do at the Porsche centers.
It doesn't help.
It is a known issue although you are not convinced (yet).
Your problem was probably the app that has a known issue called "delay" (which involves the server problem too).
So you have reset the PCM but meanwhile the app shows delayed info and you think you solved it, lol!
Anyway, if it works for you then it's ok. :)
I didn't take it to my OPC to address this. So immediately before I did it I had these problems and then after a PCM reset I didn't ;)

Either way the app is generally unreliable and Porsche technical support generally in denial.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks, yes I have done that now, but had not done so earlier. I had to reset the different settings one by one and learnEd the proper way to save that now. Still irritating that it resets to values that I have never used. And I have used only my own key, never the second key. I had thought they would be stored in the key. So that if I use my key the car knows it’s me and sets the seats etc the way I had them.
The key stores the UserID that was driving the car when that key was last used. The settings associated with that UserID are stored in the User's Porsche ID. So if you have no connectivity to Porsche then those settings are neither saved nor restored. But plenty of things are also stored in the vehicle. Some are stored in both places. It's hard to tell exactly what is stored where...

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
They can diagnose the OTA module in a few hours and return the car to you and order the part if needed. When it comes in a few weeks later, they can replace it in a few hours. You can keep driving the car in-between. I know this is possible because this is exactly what my dealer did for me.
True - but still inconvenient. Today we have -8F (-22C). Luckily my wife's electric car works as intended and pre-heats flawlessly.....

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan and 2019 Mercedes S560V
Country flag
Reading all the issues is depressing for someone about to take delivery of a new car. Maybe more depressing for those that have them. :)

Hard to believe these kind of problems still exist, even after a year of having the car out around the world.

My new Taycan arrives at the port in 2 weeks. What should I be checking for, and asking the dealer to check to make sure I don't have this issue, even before I take delivery of this car.

Many thanks.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Reading all the issues is depressing for someone about to take delivery of a new car. Maybe more depressing for those that have them. :)

Hard to believe these kind of problems still exist, even after a year of having the car out around the world.

My new Taycan arrives at the port in 2 weeks. What should I be checking for, and asking the dealer to check to make sure I don't have this issue, even before I take delivery of this car.

Many thanks.
At this point I would be very surprised if dealers were missing anything. That would be the first thing PCNA would fix were it to be the source of any of the issues. I think it's luck of the draw. That said, don't jump the gun and create a Porsche ID - wait for the dealer to generate an invitation for you. And when you log into your car for the first time, make sure you have good cell coverage. That's about all you can do at your end.

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
At this point I would be very surprised if dealers were missing anything. That would be the first thing PCNA would fix were it to be the source of any of the issues. I think it's luck of the draw. That said, don't jump the gun and create a Porsche ID - wait for the dealer to generate an invitation for you. And when you log into your car for the first time, make sure you have good cell coverage. That's about all you can do at your end.
I already have a Porsche ID for my existing car. I will have to log off this car, and delete from my profile.

If it doesn't work, what will actually happen in the car? I know there are huge issues with the connection and the circle becoming green, but what will indicate an OTA module that is broken?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I already have a Porsche ID for my existing car. I will have to log off this car, and delete from my profile.

If it doesn't work, what will actually happen in the car? I know there are huge issues with the connection and the circle becoming green, but what will indicate an OTA module that is broken?
Only 3 segments of the circle need to be green - the forth is when your phone connects to the PCM via the hotspot should you need it (I haven't yet).

Follow advice above and wait for everything to be set for you. Some of the Porsche Connect Services may not be available to you on day 1 (this happened to me) and may show a status of activation pending. I had to wait 8 days for all to be available (last November) but hopefully you won't experience this but on the forum others have.

Remember also you can use My Porsche website to view your car and communicate that way for many settings and all services.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot

Many thanks.
Seriously, are you depressed by an app that doesn't work?
Drive it and you know why a Porsche is special, not the gadgets that come with it.
Remember that internet is the place to share only problems or issues.
There are maybe thousands of Taycans that aren't affected, same for the 12V issue.
There's a bigger world out there.

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Seriously, are you depressed by an app that doesn't work?
Drive it and you know why a Porsche is special, not the gadgets that come with it.
Remember that internet is the place to share only problems or issues.
There are maybe thousands of Taycans that aren't affected, same for the 12V issue.
There's a bigger world out there.
I am currently driving a 2020 Taycan 4S that was decked out with an MSRP of $166,000. I have a $170,000, 2021 4S landing in Houston in two weeks. I am well aware of the attributes of this car, it will be my second Taycan in less than one year, and third Porsche in less than two years.

It was more like a "figure of speech." That being said, this car has way too many technical problems for a brand like Porsche. They could have, and should have, done a better job with the electronics, in my opinion. People are having too many issues, although most of them are minor.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
I am currently driving a 2020 Taycan 4S that was decked out with an MSRP of $166,000. I have a $170,000, 2021 4S landing in Houston in two weeks. I am well aware of the attributes of this car, it will be my second Taycan in less than one year, and third Porsche in less than two years.

It was more like a "figure of speech." That being said, this car has way too many technical problems for a brand like Porsche. They could have, and should have, done a better job with the electronics, in my opinion. People are having too many issues, although most of them are minor.
Took my taycan to dealer today to see what the issue is with Connect. 4 other taycan's there with same problem. Service Mgr told me they cannot get a straight answer from Germany re the problems with the OTA module. In fact there are no OTA replacement modules available currently. Germany told dealer to do factory reset. Both cars they did this do now cannot get PCM to work. Whatever you do DO NOT FACTORY RESET THE PCM. One owner is in process of returning car for a full refund under California's lemon law. I am going to find out tomorrow what the technician thinks the problem is but I am told they probably for now won't be able to fix it. I did learn there is a service recall for all Taycan's The plug connection for the water drain hose was installed incorrectly and they need to fix it. Living in CA probably won't be an issue but for those in cold climates good luck!

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Took my taycan to dealer today to see what the issue is with Connect. 4 other taycan's there with same problem. Service Mgr told me they cannot get a straight answer from Germany re the problems with the OTA module. In fact there are no OTA replacement modules available currently. Germany told dealer to do factory reset. Both cars they did this do now cannot get PCM to work. Whatever you do DO NOT FACTORY RESET THE PCM. One owner is in process of returning car for a full refund under California's lemon law. I am going to find out tomorrow what the technician thinks the problem is but I am told they probably for now won't be able to fix it. I did learn there is a service recall for all Taycan's The plug connection for the water drain hose was installed incorrectly and they need to fix it. Living in CA probably won't be an issue but for those in cold climates good luck!
Sorry to hear this. I can imagine how frustrating this is. Please keep us posted.

I haven't had 3/4 of the circle work in my car for a while now. Today I tried to change the charging to Direct Charging from the App and it would not take. Are these the kind of issues you are talking about?

Last edited:

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Germany told dealer to do factory reset. Both cars they did this do now cannot get PCM to work. Whatever you do DO NOT FACTORY RESET THE PCM.
If your OTA module is misbehaving, you won't have any Connect App functions nor website control, but you will remain logged in, with your last/current settings applied, and you will have functioning Apple Music, Weather and other internet features. If you factory reset you will be removed as a user and if your OTA module is misbehaving you will not be able to log in until the OTA module is replaced/fixed.
I did learn there is a service recall for all Taycan's The plug connection for the water drain hose was installed incorrectly and they need to fix it. Living in CA probably won't be an issue but for those in cold climates good luck!
Not all Taycans were incorrectly assembled, but the TSB asks the dealer to check the car next time it is in for service to address those that were. Any musty/moldy smell and this issue a likely cause.
Sponsored