Porsche admits “connect” broken

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan and 2019 Mercedes S560V
Country flag
Confirmed from Porsche AG
I am curious as to why you’re saying it’s only for the 2020. Is this to catch the software up to the 2021, because I was unaware, other than the few changes to the optional services, that there was any real difference.

Has anything been said about getting Internet to the cars?

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
c
I am curious as to why you’re saying it’s only for the 2020. Is this to catch the software up to the 2021, because I was unaware, other than the few changes to the optional services, that there was any real difference.

Has anything been said about getting Internet to the cars?
The software is a catch up for MY2020 it’s the OTA Module software, 12V problems and more. I was told it’s a major upgrade.

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan and 2019 Mercedes S560V
Country flag
c

The software is a catch up for MY2020 it’s the OTA Module software, 12V problems and more. I was told it’s a major upgrade.
So you’re saying that the 2021 cars already have this software?

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So you’re saying that the 2021 cars already have this software?
2021 has the new software for the OTA module. This includes a bug fix that prevents the OTA module from self-corrupting its memory. Details in this TSB https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10183505-0001.pdf

From the bulletin
"The software task for writing the non-volatile memory data takes too long, and cannot be aborted after the control unit is already shut down. The memory is then corrupted with no further write access permitted.
The software routine is revised as of model year 2021, identified by OTA-FC control unit software version 1218 or higher.The failed memory writing task which causes this fault code in 2020 vehicles does not occur in every case. If the subject fault code is triggered as a result of corrupted memory, then the control unit will require replacement"

The rest of the updates (12v, and many other bugs) are probably needed for both models.

Last edited:

EV Kris

First Name
kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telsa P85D - Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi Guys, same issues over here.
My car is since 22/12 at the dealer fore several issues:
- smartphone application blocked on 3/11
- PVTS+ problems
- electronic bug noises every 10 sec in the mid -console
they changed a lot of parts: 2 OTA modules, driver cards, broken wires.... still no solution. Almost 2 months without my own car.
I filed a complaint with the importer, curious how serious they take it...

Porsche Taycan Porsche admits “connect” broken 20201109_184304
Porsche Taycan Porsche admits “connect” broken 20210122_141443

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Hi Guys, same issues over here.
My car is since 22/12 at the dealer fore several issues:
- smartphone application blocked on 3/11
- PVTS+ problems
- electronic bug noises every 10 sec in the mid -console
they changed a lot of parts: 2 OTA modules, driver cards, broken wires.... still no solution. Almost 2 months without my own car.
I filed a complaint with the importer, curious how serious they take it...

20201109_184304.jpg
20210122_141443.jpg
In the USA if they cannot fix the car within 3 attempts within a reasonable time period they refund the price of the car- helps to have a good attorney to assist but we have strong lemon laws. I have learned to get Porsche to act fast you have to email the top executives in Germany.. I know of 2 cases with my car dealer where they are refunding the full purchase price of the car to the buyers because of problems with the PCM. Two months without the car is nuts- demand your $ back! and email Germany.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
New software for MY2020 in 2-4 weeks...
If anybody get this new version, could they be so kind and post version numbers pic from the car? Need the fire power to go to my dealer as for the update...:)

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
In the USA if they cannot fix the car within 3 attempts within a reasonable time period they refund the price of the car- helps to have a good attorney to assist but we have strong lemon laws. I have learned to get Porsche to act fast you have to email the top executives in Germany.. I know of 2 cases with my car dealer where they are refunding the full purchase price of the car to the buyers because of problems with the PCM. Two months without the car is nuts- demand your $ back! and email Germany.
fwiw: I believe that lemon laws vary but the state you reside in

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
If anybody get this new version, could they be so kind and post version numbers pic from the car? Need the fire power to go to my dealer as for the update...:)
My car is in the shop for one week now, no news yet. I would imagine they update the software if this is not vaporware - will report when I get the car back. Incidentally, I am now on day 22 out of 30 required for lemon law. I love the car, but seriously consider ditching it.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
My car is in the shop for one week now, no news yet. I would imagine they update the software if this is not vaporware - will report when I get the car back. Incidentally, I am now on day 22 out of 30 required for lemon law. I love the car, but seriously consider ditching it.
Sorry to hear that. I had hardly any issues so far, other than the software and the broken connect.

I hope you stick with the Taycan, your posts are really valuable! :like:

Steve Sutton

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My Taycan Turbo (MY 2020) stopped communicating with the Connect App on the 10th January completely out of the blue and hasn't worked since, (nor has it via the Connect web site) spoken to my local dealer in the UK, no idea why that would be, spoke to Porsche UK, who tried and agreed it wasn't me being stupid. (esp. since I've had Connect on at least two of previous 911's)
They raised a "JIRA"? ticket with Porsche Germany nearly a month ago, nothing back at all.... I'm lucky enough to have had seven 911's and now this Turbo; car is fantastic but electronics not as good as the watch on my bloody wrist.
As for Customer Service in the UK, don't get me going... after all I've probably only spent close on £850,000 with Porsche UK over past 15 years who am I to think I'm important?!

Arjan_

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
My Taycan Turbo (MY 2020) stopped communicating with the Connect App on the 10th January completely out of the blue and hasn't worked since, (nor has it via the Connect web site) spoken to my local dealer in the UK, no idea why that would be, spoke to Porsche UK, who tried and agreed it wasn't me being stupid. (esp. since I've had Connect on at least two of previous 911's)
They raised a "JIRA"? ticket with Porsche Germany nearly a month ago, nothing back at all.... I'm lucky enough to have had seven 911's and now this Turbo; car is fantastic but electronics not as good as the watch on my bloody wrist.
As for Customer Service in the UK, don't get me going... after all I've probably only spent close on £850,000 with Porsche UK over past 15 years who am I to think I'm important?!
Looks like your OTA module has to be replaced. Mine will be replaced next week for the second time. It is a known issue.

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Read this how my dealer fixed the problem. It may not be the OTA module but the control module. On you display does it show LTE? if not its the control module . BTW Porsche announced they are partnering with Microsoft to develop software for auto pilot. Porsche has the worst software support in house- clueless regarding issues- Per my Dealer. (Posts today state new connect update not working for iphones)
Technician wrote: Logged into the Porsche Connect app and verified client concern that the information regarding charge not accurate. On connection status screen the vehicle not connected to Porsche servers. Ran and sent VAL. No faults stored relating to client concern. Checked PCM and found it did not have an LTE connection. See pictures. Showed no cellular connection. Weather app was grayed out and not clickable. See pictures. Satellite view not available in map. See pictures.Checked Porsche connect service screens and everything that clickable was active. Privacy mode inactive As per bulletin 2017 regarding OTA control unit, performed component protection and additional functions of component protection. OTA unit passes tests in both cases. Vehicle still does not have connection to Porsche servers. Checked the Connect Control unit communication status. SOS button green and no present faults for Connect control unit. Removed Connect Control Unit, unplugged and reinstalled, programmed and now PCM shows LTE connection.Checked Connect Applic and now connection status displaying correct charge and mileage remaining. Weather app now working normally in PCM. Satellite view now operating normally in navigation of PCM."

Hope this helps others having issues. They also did recall fix for the plug connection for water drain hose. Dealer did tell me they are having lots of problems with the ota module failing and are having trouble getting replacement modules. I am happy my issue could be fixed
Sponsored