daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the tesla roadster will get 600 mile range and will have rocket boosters so it looks like porsche is already behind.
I'll hold my breath…
Sponsored

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Oil system makes it a non-starter for me.

Part of the benefit for going EV was getting away from the overly-expensive Porsche service visits, most of which were oil changes or other engine-protection issues like spark plugs, belts etc.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag

Part of the benefit for going EV was getting away from the overly-expensive Porsche service visits, most of which were oil changes or other engine-protection issues like spark plugs, belts etc.
Which race car are you going to buy instead?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I would be unconcerned about oil cooling - the thermals for batteries and EV motors are far far less than ICE motor temps (150F vs. 250F) - the thermal stress on this cooing fluid oil should be virtually nil - and it should last a good long time - I‘m thinking at least 2 or 3 years - or 100’s of hours of run time - this isn’t lubrication oil - it’s a thermal heat sink, and the temps are about 1/2 of what is expected for a ICE motor - so my guess it’s a fairly long term consumable.

but we’ll see what the service/duty-cycle interval is - but I'm willing to bet it's not big deal and not a lot of actual oil.

a concrete example can be seen with the GM Bolt - they have liquid cooling for the battery and EV motors on the Bolt - they use the SAME glycol cooling fluid that they use for ICE motors which has a 30,000 to 50,000 mile recommended duty cycle in their other ICE vehicles - but for the Bolt the exact same glycol fluid duty cycle in the service manual is recommended for replacement in 150,000 roughly 3x-5x longer duty cycle - and I'm willing to bet that's conservative and CYA on GM's part - they probably just couldn't stomach saying "it won't wear out and will last forever" - I'm betting thermally that fluid is good for at least 250,000 miles or more. This one items is in fact the ONLY recommended service for the Bolt listed at all in the service schedule - $75 fluid flush every 150,000 miles. Viva EV drive trains!!!

EV's don't generate "high temps" they can get warm but not nearly as hot as ICE motors routinely run - the lack of thermal stress (180F and more routinely) is a real advantage in terms of longevity across a range of standard mechanical design materials and consumables - lower the expected operating temperature by just a few degrees and a lot of standard wear items have greatly extended expected useful duty cycle (3x to 10x is not unreasonable) - and EV's drive trains and batteries don't run just a few degrees cooler - they run 50-120F cooler - that changes the expected duty cycle on these materials and consumables by quite a factor…

even _IF_ the race car's components get to 150F or 170F (which I doubt) expected operating temperature - that's still 50F cooler than my Cayenne idles at…the BMW 5 series I drove around Thermal this past spring was rocking 270F coolant temperatures as we pounded it around the track…I just don't see the thermal stress present in an EV that you have ICE vehicles - especially race cars (when I was running a cup car we couldn't leaving it running on the grid cause it would overheat due to lack of airflow - it would get to 220F just idling on the grid doing virtually nothing - and 240-250F was common on track).

EV drive trains just won't reach those sorts of temps…

it may have something to do with a lack of barely controlled thermal explosions 1000's of times a second with some of the most thermally dense and volatile substances know to man - but I could be wrong. :cool:

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
note: also part of an oil cooling system (or any cooling system) is to keep temperatures from "getting out of control" - if well designed (and I'm going to spot Porsche "well designed") the temperature should be able to be controls vs. ambient very effectively - if you are efficiently removing heat from the components (battery and EV motors in this case) then the temps won't be allowed to get "too hot" - by keeping the components cool the cooling system will have an easier time maintaining and staying below the target maximum temperatures - if the temps are cool this places less stress on the thermal cooling agent thereby increasing it's effectiveness and extending it's duty cycle

it's a virtuous cycle - keep things cool and your cooling system works less hard allowing it to more easily maintain the targets temps and thereby increasing the longevity of the system, it's fluids, and the components it's is protecting - I'm confident this is a sealed system with very high/long duty cycle.

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interestingly, no transmission. IMHO further confirmation that the transmission in our Taycans is an anomaly that will be forgotten with J2 or whatever the real successor platform is called.
Maybe, but I bet the Taycan will keep the current transmission through the J1.2 update. My favorite quote from an Automobile mag Taycan prototype review:

What gives the electric car the edge is a whopping 649 lb-ft of telepathically triggered peak torque (or 738 lb-ft in a 10-second "overboost" window), an amount that would shred the driveline in one quick go if it weren't for the protective torque limiter, the two-speed transmission that blocks first gear at times to prevent mechanical disintegration, and the electronic rear differential lock.
They must have seriously reworked the power delivery mechanism to not have a transmission in the Mission R.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag

Oil cooled. Now it’s a real Porsche.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I kind of totally ignored this thread, not interested in racing.

Porsche Taycan Porsche Announces Mission R EV Sports Car Concept 1631612237004

But when you look at it like this with the EV headlights design and reading, that Porsche is practicing for the electric version of the 911... :idea: Well that could be exciting indeed!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
The new Cayman 718 EV?

Porsche Taycan Porsche Announces Mission R EV Sports Car Concept 1632881930280

This could look much more like it:

Porsche Taycan Porsche Announces Mission R EV Sports Car Concept Untitled

Source.

Should have no gear box anymore and an oil cooled engine. Could be 2023/24 on the market.

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
the tesla roadster will get 600 mile range and will have rocket boosters so it looks like Porsche is already behind.
I heard Tesla already has a floating car version similar to the hoverboard on Back to the Future, to be named the Apocryphal with Beguiling Launch Software, that is powered by Nikola Tesla Coils on top of every major skyscraper across the globe for unlimited power and range that doesn't have to be limited to the the current laws of physics........
Available NOW for pre-order, mist-ware (a little closer to vapor)......or you can get it for free with a set number of referrals and full indoctronation into the TFB-Club/Cult. All you have to do is remove any doubt and agree to blindly follow Elon as your savior....such a no-brainer!.....so Porsche is already behind.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Obviously this only applies if that oil system makes its way into a consumer version.
It will because the oil cooling will not touch moving parts, so there is no contamination/loss and therefore no need for maintenance.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
The new Cayman 718 EV?

1632881930280.jpeg

This could look much more like it:

Untitled.jpg

Source.

Should have no gear box anymore and an oil cooled engine. Could be 2023/24 on the market.
What are the chances Porsche makes a 718 replacement a better performer than a Taycan or 911?