carboard123

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s 1972 911T Targa
Country flag
I have selected "prefer Porsche Charging stations" in the PCM NAV preferences. Notwithstanding that selection, the Porsche Charging Planner frequently selects random 50kw "fast" chargers for my route when an Electric America 150kw or 350kw station clearly makes more sense from a time and route perspective (ie., the EA stations are not more than a mile or 2 off the main route) . Does anyone else have this issue? It does this for numerous routes although sometimes it gets it right. The software can't be this dumb?

However, A Better Route Planner gets it right every time. If i can't figure out a solution to the Porsche Charging Planner, i may want to use ABRP in car play. Has anyone figure out a way to link ABRP CarPlay to the Taycans actual state of charge when driving. I have seen you tube videos of an ID4 giving real time data to ABRP on car play but i can't figure out how to make this work on the Taycan.

And yes, i know i need to use the porsche NAV to EA stations to precondition the battery....
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I have selected "prefer Porsche Charging stations" in the PCM NAV preferences. Notwithstanding that selection, the Porsche Charging Planner frequently selects random 50kw "fast" chargers for my route when an Electric America 150kw or 350kw station clearly makes more sense from a time and route perspective (ie., the EA stations are not more than a mile or 2 off the main route) . Does anyone else have this issue? It does this for numerous routes although sometimes it gets it right. The software can't be this dumb?

However, A Better Route Planner gets it right every time. If i can't figure out a solution to the Porsche Charging Planner, i may want to use ABRP in car play. Has anyone figure out a way to link ABRP CarPlay to the Taycans actual state of charge when driving. I have seen you tube videos of an ID4 giving real time data to ABRP on car play but i can't figure out how to make this work on the Taycan.

And yes, i know i need to use the porsche NAV to EA stations to precondition the battery....
Your observation is the same as I have seen. I solved this by planning my route with ABRP and comparing to the nav in the car. If it sent me to 50kW chargers (and it frequently did, even once that have been closed for nearly a year), I just added stopovers at Ionity HPC. If serched and e that way it recognised the HPC and preconditioned the battery.

There is some subscription that can be linked to ABRP to give the actual charge, but I have not tried it.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Here it is in action – ABRP linked up to live data via Tronity.

Porsche Taycan Porsche Charging Planner/A Better Route Planner Screenshot 2021-12-03 at 20.10.57

Probably more useful than sharing the current charge level with ABRP – is the fact it shares actual historical consumption kWH/100km – so that ABRP can then calculate suggested stops based on real-world usage rather then relying on the "community settings" for your car model type.

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
If you want a four week free trial of Tronity – here is a referral link that they show in my account:

https://app.tronity.io/signup/HtzfazUIn
WARNING- Tronity only works in Europe- Do not use if you are in North America or outside of Europe .... it did work for a while then they starting using a different solution to login to porsche servers (service called Driver). As far as I can tell they have no plans to extend support outside of Europe.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
WARNING- Tronity only works in Europe- Do not use if you are in North America or outside of Europe .... it did work for a while then they starting using a different solution to login to porsche servers (service called Driver). As far as I can tell they have no plans to extend support outside of Europe.
Is there a similar service for folks in North America?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I didn't know that – interesting.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag

It seems to me that the biggest benefit of using the Porsche route planner charger stops is that the car conditions the battery for fastest charging for each stop. This may make a huge difference to charging time in winter.

I hadn't played with it yet but was going to take this into consideration even if I use the ABRP to initially plan the route and find some way get the Porsche system to choose the same stops.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It seems to me that the biggest benefit of using the Porsche route planner charger stops is that the car conditions the battery for fastest charging for each stop. This may make a huge difference to charging time in winter.

I hadn't played with it yet but was going to take this into consideration even if I use the ABRP to initially plan the route and find some way get the Porsche system to choose the same stops.
Add any 50kW DC charger or higher as a stopover in Nav and the battery will be pre-conditioned. Nav just needs to recognise each as a charger.

backslashed

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
- To start recording vehicle data, you must first add your vehicle to Tronity.
- Click "Add Vehicle"
- Response: "You have reached the limit of vehicles".

Great.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
- To start recording vehicle data, you must first add your vehicle to Tronity.
- Click "Add Vehicle"
- Response: "You have reached the limit of vehicles".

Great.
Are you using the paid for service?

I tried the free version last year (Nils was my contact) but I wasn't able to do much with it and so didn't try since.

For me the Porsche NAV is more than adequate and much improved since uPdate (filtering of EVSEs).

backslashed

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Are you using the paid for service?

I tried the free version last year (Nils was my contact) but I wasn't able to do much with it and so didn't try since.

For me the Porsche NAV is more than adequate and much improved since uPdate (filtering of EVSEs).
No. I wouldn’t pay before trying. Frankly I plan to use the Charging Planner too. I live in EU and my first road trip is coming up so I was browsing the forum to see how reliable it is. I did see it’s great in Western Europe and was wondering how good it is in more Eastern Europe.
Sponsored