jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
Buy £100k car and the wince at paying for Electricity.....come on seriously.
Sponsored

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
it's correct according to the published Porsche pricing schedule (OP's picture above, in the UK it is 0.44 GBP per min plus 0.31 per kwh). Roughly 15 GBP in total for 20 mins and 20kwh.

Pittance vs the Taycan price, still I find a bit annoying that Porsche charges less (ie subsidise more) on Ionity vs their own dealers.

Is that a Porsche dealer?
Surprised that Porsche would charge so much for the kWh? There is a price list on Porsche Site somewhere that state the charging costs. Outside of Ionity there normally is akWh charge plus a time element. Did you stay connected for a long time?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Pittance vs the Taycan price, still I find a bit annoying that Porsche charges less (ie subsidise more) on Ionity vs their own dealers.
Yes I agree, it seems a bit wrong if Porsche at their Centres charge such structure. Still much cheaper than to drive an ICE. But many of these chargers are situated behind locked gates out of hours, and here in France that is over 2 hours for lunch 6 days a week. So there is quite unlikely to be any non Porsche cars in there charging.
Surprised!
What will it be at the stations that Porsche announced they will be buildingalong motorways?

DocMart3n

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Not an apples to apples comparison. Consider how long it takes to fill up a liter, vs. how long it takes to charge a KWh. To make it comparable, you will need to compare profit/time-utilized, or essentially how much profit a gasoline or diesel pump makes per minute of usage as compared to an EV charger per minute (ignore the utilization issue due to less EV's on the roads for now). Another issue of course is that gasoline or diesel always pump at a consistent rate, while EV charging is not, so they have to make profit proportional to average EV charging rate. One solution is to charge per minute of usage, plus cost of electricity, but consumers don't like that, and in some places (at least in the USA) it runs contrary to some laws relating to reselling electricity. It's also seen as discrimination against people who cannot afford faster charging cars, so in the current political climate billing per minute of charge plus cost of electricity would be considered politically incorrect - the slower you charge, the more per KWh it costs you.
I fully accept what you say, it just doesn't help global electrification. But perhaps the market will eventually regulate itself?

DocMart3n

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Is that a Porsche dealer?
Surprised that Porsche would charge so much for the kWh? There is a price list on Porsche Site somewhere that state the charging costs. Outside of Ionity there normally is akWh charge plus a time element. Did you stay connected for a long time?
Probably 20 minutes. I am not worried about the money, I didnt check the price, because I don't really car about my individual experience. I think Porsche should also do its bit for the environment and encourage people to use their chargers... So should Tesla by the way, but as I said, the market will probably sort itself out ...

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I fully accept what you say, it just doesn't help global electrification. But perhaps the market will eventually regulate itself?
The market will not regulate itself against market forces, i.e. the only way you can get EV charging stations to be operated by businesses if there is a profit to be made. Your original point about there being a much higher markup on electricity is just not a fair way to look at it. The dominating cost of charging is not electricity, but the time the EV spends at the charger. Personally I think this will be resolved "by the market" by EV chargers moving to time based charging, so per minute rather than per KWh. This will bring additional benefits in that people will see value of faster charging, so will be willing to pay more for EV's with faster charging. Additionally, this will cause people to who drive slower charging cars (or simply cars at high SoC which just want to top off before a longer trip) will pick slower charging spots as they will cost less per minute. Will charging at home be always cheaper? You bet, that's because you essentially have already paid-for parking.

Bottom line, IMHO charging will end up tightly coupled with parking. And yes, this will increase the cost of parking. The biggest issue will be for people who want to use free, open parking (street parking available to anyone) - it is unlikely all street parking will come with L2 charging. However, if charging gets fast enough, charging up at a local EV charger will not be costing you more time or money than gasoline fill up.

Last edited:

glon

First Name
Gareth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Like buying a 911, if you care about the price of gas or gas mileage, then Porsche probably isn't your brand. :p

On a more serious note, I wouldn't expect Porsche to be subsidizing "gas" prices much, so I expect the price of an 80% charge is in the ballpark of 80% a tank of gas.
I keep reading this on this forum, but it’s also true that unless you’re someone who is careful with your money, you probably won’t get to the point of affording a Porsche either.

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
I simply view dealer charging as NOT a service to EV owners, it’s a convenience open to all that pays for its self and gives added method/opportunity to get foot traffic through the dealership for potential customers.

As a convenience, expect to pay for it, in this case kw charge and time using, it you want competitive and availability….. go to a charging network/facility that may be more competitive…………

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I simply view dealer charging as NOT a service to EV owners, it’s a convenience open to all that pays for its self and gives added method/opportunity to get foot traffic through the dealership for potential customers.

As a convenience, expect to pay for it, in this case kw charge and time using, it you want competitive and availability….. go to a charging network/facility that may be more competitive…………
You could even think of the charging fee as a filter for the foot traffic. If you balk at Porsche charging rates, you're probably less likely to buy a Porsche. Not a perfect filter, I know, but the sales guys need some filter criteria so they can focus their efforts on customers more likely to buy. So even if that filter loses them once sale a year but saves them hours selling to 20 prospects who will not buy a car, it's a net positive (if you earn a commission from only 1 of 21 customers you spend time with test driving, answering questions, showing different cars, etc, your hourly return is likely not going to be very impressive). Heck, I got filtered out this way once when I was in my 20's looking to buy an NSX, which resulted in my buying my first Porsche. After getting blown off my the Acura dealer who wouldn't even let me sit in the car, much less test drive one, I went across the street, test drove a 911, ordered a custom build on the spot.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I keep reading this on this forum, but it’s also true that unless you’re someone who is careful with your money, you probably won’t get to the point of affording a Porsche either.
Affording it is one thing, but spending £100k on a car that will be worth around 50% of that in 3 years, still isn't a great example of being careful with money. Even at 40p/kWh for 10,000 miles p.a, the cost of electricity is less than 10% that of depreciation.

glon

First Name
Gareth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Affording it is one thing, but spending £100k on a car that will be worth around 50% of that in 3 years, still isn't a great example of being careful with money. Even at 40p/kWh for 10,000 miles p.a, the cost of electricity is less than 10% that of depreciation.
Ha, most of us in the U.K. are buying taycans through our limited companies to benefit from the massive tax relief :)

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Ha, most of us in the U.K. are buying taycans through our limited companies to benefit from the massive tax relief :)
Indeed, and I hope that anyone fortunate enough to have their luxury EV subsidised by the taxpayer isn't going to complain about its running costs.