Porsche charging station costs

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
Is it me or are Porsche trying to deter people from using the charging network.

U.K. KWh costs at home is around 15p (18 cents)per KWh consumed which is around £15 ($18) to fill up at home.

looking at the Porsche pricing it’s 31p (38c) per KWh AND upto 44p (54c) per minute.

IF you can find find a 350kw charger then you are looking at 100(KWh)x 31p for the energy AND say 20(minutes)x44p so £38 ($48) to fast charge.

on a 22kw with a charge time of 5 hours, then the total cost is 100x31p AND 300minsx3p so £40

That’s before you pay the £179 ($220) subscription per year to use the service!

why would anyone use that service unless you have to fill up on a long trip

Porsche Taycan Porsche charging station costs F1BFC41D-90D1-404C-8FF4-B321AC38D828

Attachments

TIM

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes!
Country flag

U.K. KWh costs at home is around 15p (18 cents)per KWh consumed which is around £15 ($18) to fill up at home.

looking at the Porsche pricing it’s 31p (38c) per KWh AND upto 44p (54c) per minute.

IF you can find find a 350kw charger then you are looking at 100(KWh)x 31p for the energy AND say 20(minutes)x44p so £38 ($48) to fast charge.

on a 22kw with a charge time of 5 hours, then the total cost is 100x31p AND 300minsx3p so £40

F1BFC41D-90D1-404C-8FF4-B321AC38D828.jpeg
If you use a Ionity charger or if it is a "free charging station" (if anybody knows where/how to find these "free charging stations" please let me know) there is no parking fee, otherwise you're right you have to pay the "parking fee" ,

What you get when you buy the Taycan is the free subscription for three years.

I could understand that the kWh cost are higher than charging at home as the infrastructure cost are very high to install such powers.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Is it not free for the first 3 years though?
The subscription to the charging service is free of charge in Europe, but the actual charging costs are about 0.33 euros per kWh plus. In the US I believe the charging is FOC for 3 years!

Jdqt458

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Coupe
Country flag
The subscription to the charging service is free of charge in Europe, but the actual charging costs are about 0.33 euros per kWh plus. In the US I believe the charging is FOC for 3 years!
Is Tesla Charging Free ?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Some models of Tesla have had offers on completely free charging, but not model 3. Model S from the beginning was free and at certain offers they have come with free supercharging.

There is no subscription fee for a Tesla but for model 3 the kWh charge in France is 0.24 Euros vs Porsche with Ionity at 0.33 Euros. But then some of the Porsche charging fees also contain a per minute charge? So it is more expensive with a Porsche to get these electrons on a trip.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Like buying a 911, if you care about the price of gas or gas mileage, then Porsche probably isn't your brand. :p

On a more serious note, I wouldn't expect Porsche to be subsidizing "gas" prices much, so I expect the price of an 80% charge is in the ballpark of 80% a tank of gas.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Correct @Austin_yeahbaby one would virtually never use a public Ionity station unless on a trip.
As @Scandinavian said in Europe the £179 ($220) annual subscription is waved for 3 years but you do pay the kW fees.
In the USA and Canada Porsche is covering the first 30min of a session (1 session/hr) and giving a greatly reduced power rate after that 30min as well.

But as far as finding free chargers I use PlugShare.com in the USA (and some European coverage)
There is also NextCharge.network & ChargeMap.com /w apps.

For finding charges on a route (trip) I recommend ABetterRoutePlanner.com

Reactions: TIM

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag
Like buying a 911, if you care about the price of gas or gas mileage, then Porsche probably isn't your brand. :p
I don’t really care about the price of gas but I would never use a card or service that resulted in paying twice the going rate ;)

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag
The way I see it Porsche Charging Service is a total rip off when charging on anything other than Ionity chargers.

I had hope of not having to deal with umpteen different apps when charging away from home but no such luck. I refuse to pay exorbitant prices for the “convenience” of getting the bill from Porsche.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I don’t really care about the price of gas but I would never use a card or service that resulted in paying twice the going rate ;)
That's pretty much like buying gas in California versus most the rest of the US... :p (costs more for lower octane)

DocMart3n

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag

A few weeks ago I charged my Taycan at the garage in Reading where I bought it. I used the Porsche Connect card. The cost for 20kw in 20minutes was £14.58 or £0.72 per kW. Thats about 3 x the price of a domestic kW.

Considering Petrol stations only charge a few pennies per litre of Petrol or Diesel in Profits I would say this is rather a lot. I would also say that this does nothing for people to go green, Porsche to promote electrification or to encourage people to charge at their charging stations. I certainly will only do it in an emergency, not because I cannot afford it, but because I dont think I support a business model that discourages people from electrification.

But this is a short term problem. This year a lot of big companies finally start installing super fast chargers, because they all know that this is an emerging market and the ones who are the first ones are often the winners. BP is an example, Ionity another one and Ecotricity has gone together with Gridserve to completely overhaul the Electric Highway charging stations, which are currently a paltry 50kW and not fit for purpose.

In 9 years all cars have to be electric and unless Petrol stations have super fast chargers with coffee shops, catering and supermarkets, they wont get any business. They may even offer electricity at cheaper than home prices to get people to charge and shop at their forecourts. And the chargers at the Porsche dealers will probably be mainly used by the garage for the completely electrified fleet of cars they sell, service and repair.

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
It all depends on your personal situation...

For me; 95%+ of trips will be charged at home - or occasionally at relies' houses when I visit (may cost me a bottle or two)

Perhaps 10-12 longer trips a year I will need a top-up mid journey. On that basis, I don't care if it's a couple of dollars/GBP per kWh. In the general scheme of things it's chicken-feed.

Also as has been said - as competition ramps up - the prices will reduce.

just my take.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
The cost for 20kw in 20minutes was £14.58 or £0.72 per kW. Thats about 3 x the price of a domestic kW.

Considering Petrol stations only charge a few pennies per litre of Petrol or Diesel in Profits I would say this is rather a lot.
Not an apples to apples comparison. Consider how long it takes to fill up a liter, vs. how long it takes to charge a KWh. To make it comparable, you will need to compare profit/time-utilized, or essentially how much profit a gasoline or diesel pump makes per minute of usage as compared to an EV charger per minute (ignore the utilization issue due to less EV's on the roads for now). Another issue of course is that gasoline or diesel always pump at a consistent rate, while EV charging is not, so they have to make profit proportional to average EV charging rate. One solution is to charge per minute of usage, plus cost of electricity, but consumers don't like that, and in some places (at least in the USA) it runs contrary to some laws relating to reselling electricity. It's also seen as discrimination against people who cannot afford faster charging cars, so in the current political climate billing per minute of charge plus cost of electricity would be considered politically incorrect - the slower you charge, the more per KWh it costs you.

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A few weeks ago I charged my Taycan at the garage in Reading where I bought it. I used the Porsche Connect card. The cost for 20kw in 20minutes was £14.58 or £0.72 per kW. Thats about 3 x the price of a domestic kW.
Is that a Porsche dealer?
Surprised that Porsche would charge so much for the kWh? There is a price list on Porsche Site somewhere that state the charging costs. Outside of Ionity there normally is akWh charge plus a time element. Did you stay connected for a long time?
Sponsored