2017 911 GTS
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan GTS
Country flag
That's good news. Confirmed by Porsche NA CEO at Frankfurt show.

A cheaper Porsche Taycan EV is coming this year
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/cheaper-porsche-taycan-ev/

Those looking for more competition in the premium EV space were surely glad to see the production version of the Porsche Taycan revealed late last week. The company's high-power, high-design electric sedan delivers some serious performance chops and competition to Tesla's Model S. However, with a starting price of $150,900, the Taycan Turbo is well out of reach for many.

Fear not, because there are cheaper flavors coming, and they'll be here soon. At the 2019 Frankfurt Motor Show on Tuesday, Klaus Zellmer, president and CEO of Porsche Cars North America, told me that we'll see a more-affordable Taycan before the year's end.

"Typically when we launch new model lines we launch top-down," Zellmer said, "because when the car and the demand is really hot, this is what people typically demand." And the top is certainly where the Taycan is now, with a Turbo S starting at $185,000 -- and, being a Porsche, you can surely spend a lot more than that if you like. However, there's also the potential to go a lot lower.

Using the Panamera as an example, Porsche's closest car in the current lineup, the Turbo variant starts at $153,000. The base Panamera, meanwhile, is close to half that cost, starting at the relative bargain price of $88,550. The Panamera 4S starts at $105,000.

It's too early to tell whether that kind of pricing structure will apply to Taycan, but we'll find out soon. "We're going to see the equivalent of a [Taycan] 4S this year," Zellmer said, "which obviously is something that will have an effect on affordability, on price."

And what comes after that? "If you look at our lineup typically in our family of cars... you know what our gameplan is. So expect some more family members." Members, perhaps, like the Taycan Cross Turismo, which Zellmer describes as: "A little more elevated, a little more off-road looking." That, Zellmer told me, is still on track for next year.
Sponsored

Rotordude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
7XPorsche’s, 3XGolf R/ GTI
Country flag
“Typically launch top down”..........really?

Anyone seen a 992 turbo and turbo S configurator.......serious q. I’m looking.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agreed, this is the antithesis of a typical Porsche model line launch. I don't fault them, and I understand the reasons, but let's call a spade a spade.
the 911 isn’t a new model line. The taycan is. The turbo was included in the initial launch of the panamera, Macan, and Cayanne.

Reactions: Dee

Rotordude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
7XPorsche’s, 3XGolf R/ GTI
Country flag
the 911 isn’t a new model line. The taycan is. The turbo was included in the initial launch of the panamera, Macan, and Cayanne.
You say “included”. Therefore, base, s, 4/4S and the turbo were released/ revealed at launch for those vehicles?

I was one of the first to get a panamera(4) gen1. Don’t recall turbos released at same time!

OHWHATDA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4
Country flag
So if 4S is launching before the end of the year, we should probably see it launch at the LA Auto Show. Or maybe that’s wishful thinking since I live in LA!

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi,

My dealer told me orders will be available for 4S starting the 1st of October, starting 100k€.
"official information"

But you know how reliable salesmen car are...

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
Yes my dealer has told me 2 weeks time.

artdept

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
t -model 3, Dodge Coin Style Model Y, white taycan
Country flag
it might just be me , but as as far salespeople go. this has been the best salesperson experience in me buying anything , ever.
and to top it off, I haven't even confirmed my order.

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
it might just be me , but as as far salespeople go. this has been the best salesperson experience in me buying anything , ever.
and to top it off, I haven't even confirmed my order.
I put down my money in May of 2018. Since then, I haven't heard from my salesman from the Stevens Creek Porsche (in Santa Clara) dealer one single time. I have called or dropped in to make sure everything is copacetic, but they have not once proactively emailed or called me. If I wasn't following this stuff online, I wouldn't even know the car had been unveiled.

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
Are there more powerful, faster Taycan versions coming out?

I very much hope so, I would be very excited to hear that Porsche was working on a faster, sharper Taycan which handles even better. I'm very impressed with the Turbo S, but Porsche has a history of making faster, more track focused variants of - well, the 911. It would be very much keeping with Porsche's identity and would be very fitting with its brand DNA to attempt to offer a faster Taycan version, maybe even a GT2 or GT3, which would presumably be more expensive.

With the 911, Porsche has the Turbo and Turbo S models, but they kept pushing to make it faster, make GT2 and GT3 versions. The Taycan's already more expensive than the Tesla Model S, and what's more, the range is lower. But I think that's nothing to be too concerned about, as Porsche should be focusing on their core strengths - sportiness. The Taycan set a record as the fastest four-door electric car. Their main concern should be beating that record - themselves - with an even faster, sportier Taycan. But they should also be focusing on making a car that's enjoyable and fun to drive too. Porsche have already made an absolutely stunning looking car, and in terms of performance, it's amazing, but, as with a 911 Turbo S, there's so much untapped potential, and I really look forward to seeing an even more impressive Taycan performance-wise.

Last edited:

artdept

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
t -model 3, Dodge Coin Style Model Y, white taycan
Country flag
I put down my money in May of 2018. Since then, I haven't heard from my salesman from the Stevens Creek Porsche (in Santa Clara) dealer one single time. I have called or dropped in to make sure everything is copacetic, but they have not once proactively emailed or called me. If I wasn't following this stuff online, I wouldn't even know the car had been unveiled.

if you put down a deposit in may 2018 , i belive stevens creek were sold out of first allotments by then.

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
if you put down a deposit in may 2018 , i belive stevens creek were sold out of first allotments by then.

My understanding is that they will only sell to people on the list, and that you keep your relative place in line if you don't want the first released cars. They also mentioned, given that Tesla is manufactured in the area that Porsche may want to saturate the market here to compete for eyeballs (Tesla's are everywhere in the Bay Area).

JohnSeoul

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Macan S
Country flag
My understanding is that they will only sell to people on the list, and that you keep your relative place in line if you don't want the first released cars. They also mentioned, given that Tesla is manufactured in the area that Porsche may want to saturate the market here to compete for eyeballs (Tesla's are everywhere in the Bay Area).
Ken,

Same experience with the lack of communication from Stevens Creek, and I put my deposit down at roughly the same time you did. I finally just went to the dealer and talked to the sales manager a couple of weeks ago. Take this for what it is worth, but he told me that they expect to get their first allocation in early October. They will then start calling those on the waitlist to configure their cars and place orders in the order the deposits were received. They currently have 300+ deposits. He doesn't yet know the allocation, but he believes that those of us who placed deposits in early 2018 should get in the first allocation for likely delivery in calendar Q2 next year. We'll see whether that pans out. As we can all see from these posts, many Porsche dealers are apparently operating at an information deficit as well.

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
Ken,

Same experience with the lack of communication from Stevens Creek, and I put my deposit down at roughly the same time you did. I finally just went to the dealer and talked to the sales manager a couple of weeks ago. Take this for what it is worth, but he told me that they expect to get their first allocation in early October. They will then start calling those on the waitlist to configure their cars and place orders in the order the deposits were received. They currently have 300+ deposits. He doesn't yet know the allocation, but he believes that those of us who placed deposits in early 2018 should get in the first allocation for likely delivery in calendar Q2 next year. We'll see whether that pans out. As we can all see from these posts, many Porsche dealers are apparently operating at an information deficit as well.
John,

Well, I guess they're consistent on that score. The last time I went in (about a week ago), the guy who's in charge of maintaining the list told me that about 15 minutes prior to my arrival, he had received a 13 page document from Porsche on how to handle the Taycan. He said that he'd let the salesforce know and that we should hear from our individual salesman directly after that. Have I heard anything? Of course not. Sigh.

To be clear, I'm not sure how much of a hurry I'm in. I don't want to feel rushed when they finally make it to my number (49 on the list).
Sponsored