Porsche confirms cheaper Taycan models coming by year end

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
Are there more powerful, faster Taycan versions coming out?

I very much hope so, I would be very excited to hear that Porsche was working on a faster, sharper Taycan which handles even better. I'm very impressed with the Turbo S, but Porsche has a history of making faster, more track focused variants of - well, the 911. It would be very much keeping with Porsche's identity and would be very fitting with its brand DNA to attempt to offer a faster Taycan version, maybe even a GT2 or GT3, which would presumably be more expensive.

With the 911, Porsche has the Turbo and Turbo S models, but they kept pushing to make it faster, make GT2 and GT3 versions. The Taycan's already more expensive than the Tesla Model S, and what's more, the range is lower. But I think that's nothing to be too concerned about, as Porsche should be focusing on their core strengths - sportiness. The Taycan set a record as the fastest four-door electric car. Their main concern should be beating that record - themselves - with an even faster, sportier Taycan. But they should also be focusing on making a car that's enjoyable and fun to drive too. Porsche have already made an absolutely stunning looking car, and in terms of performance, it's amazing, but, as with a 911 Turbo S, there's so much untapped potential, and I really look forward to seeing an even more impressive Taycan performance-wise.
Porsche should wait on the GTS and GT3 versions until Tesla comes out with Model S Plaid (and Roadster 2) to know what benchmarks to beat, which no Musk said possibly next year (meaning in reality would mean possibly in 2 to 3 years)
Sponsored

Eisbärenhöhle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
... clearly too many of them
Country flag
Porsche should wait on the GTS and GT3 versions until Tesla comes out with Model S Plaid (and Roadster 2) to know what benchmarks to beat, which no Musk said possibly next year (meaning in reality would mean possibly in 2 to 3 years)
Ähmmm ... never a GTS or GT3 was ever faster than the Turbo versions ... if Porsche wants to be faster than Plaid I guess it is a Turbo RS ... or GT3 RSS ;-)

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t think that’s what they are waiting for. My guess is more an 992.2 style revision when better / more cost efficient batteries are available 3-4 years out.

JohnSeoul

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Macan S
Country flag
John,

Well, I guess they're consistent on that score. The last time I went in (about a week ago), the guy who's in charge of maintaining the list told me that about 15 minutes prior to my arrival, he had received a 13 page document from Porsche on how to handle the Taycan. He said that he'd let the salesforce know and that we should hear from our individual salesman directly after that. Have I heard anything? Of course not. Sigh.

To be clear, I'm not sure how much of a hurry I'm in. I don't want to feel rushed when they finally make it to my number (49 on the list).
Ken,

You might get to feel rushed after all. Did you get your e-mail or call from Stevens Creek today? They have been contacting the first few dozen or so on the wait list. Their allocation is active, portal is open, and they are taking orders starting today for the Turbo and Turbo S. Lower models are not available yet. My wait list number was slightly ahead of yours, and I placed my order for a Turbo S this afternoon. Deposit is $5K (less the $1K we already paid) as usual. I should have the estimated delivery date from Porsche Germany within a few days. Eighteen months of waiting to order are finally over. Another five or six to go. Good luck to you.

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
Ken,

You might get to feel rushed after all. Did you get your e-mail or call from Stevens Creek today? They have been contacting the first few dozen or so on the wait list. Their allocation is active, portal is open, and they are taking orders starting today for the Turbo and Turbo S. Lower models are not available yet. My wait list number was slightly ahead of yours, and I placed my order for a Turbo S this afternoon. Deposit is $5K (less the $1K we already paid) as usual. I should have the estimated delivery date from Porsche Germany within a few days. Eighteen months of waiting to order are finally over. Another five or six to go. Good luck to you.
I did not get an email nor a phone call. But if they're moving down the list, it's just a matter of time. I'm a patient guy (when I need to be!). Congrats. What color scheme did you get?

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I did not get an email nor a phone call. But if they're moving down the list, it's just a matter of time. I'm a patient guy (when I need to be!). Congrats. What color scheme did you get?
probably worth calling your sales rep.

randkin

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
930 TC, 997.2 TTS, Panamera TTS, Cayenne GTS, Ferrari 612 OTO
Country flag
I put down my money in May of 2018. Since then, I haven't heard from my salesman from the Stevens Creek Porsche (in Santa Clara) dealer one single time. I have called or dropped in to make sure everything is copacetic, but they have not once proactively emailed or called me. If I wasn't following this stuff online, I wouldn't even know the car had been unveiled.
Are sure your sales rep still works there? My sales rep has contracted me several times and I have contacted him several times as well.

randkin

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
930 TC, 997.2 TTS, Panamera TTS, Cayenne GTS, Ferrari 612 OTO
Country flag
Agreed, this is the antithesis of a typical Porsche model line launch. I don't fault them, and I understand the reasons, but let's call a spade a spade.
I get, it the top end models have the most profit which is important to the "bean counters" to start recouping R&D expense ASAP. Also the top end models help selling the lower end models for those who want a look alike for much less $$$$.
Sponsored