Porsche Connect Update!

UroDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
812 Superfast; AMG GT 53; Taycan 4S; DB11
Country flag
Love the car, hate the poor implementation of the tech.
We need critical mass of people to get Porsche to listen and send updates OTA.
Otherwise they will continue to ignore all the glitches and rely on the positive press (no review seems to mention how poor their tech is, wonder why!).

I am hoping this forum can start a list of all the problems we have encountered and then print it off and send to Consumer Reports or Car & Drive or some similar magazine which will get Porsche's attention!
Sponsored

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Tech isn't why people buy Porsches, and the car mags rightfully concentrate on the stuff Porsche buyers arare most concerned with. I expect the e-tron GT's MMI system will be a lot better than PCM for the more mass-market version of this car, like other Audi/Porsche siblings.

There will eventually be OTA updates, but not like your phone that gets updated monthly for actual feature updates. Data updates (like nav data), and enabling features are likely more what Porsche has in mind.

OP
OP

UroDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Don't disagree with you. But is it still okay for them to release a car with bugs not only in the adjunct system (the app, the apple music, etc) but also in following:
1. Backup camera - distorted by the software, like a fun house. Safety issue.
2. The charge system not talking to the 12V system accurately causing more than a handful of cars to be bricked. Safety issue.
3. Navigation system dying randomly. Safety issue.
Others?

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
#2 is something they need to fix soon.

#1 is on purpose, so I doubt a change, and #3 is all Porsches.

But yes, it'd be great for stuff to get fixed. Maybe they'll be a big update when the '21s go into production.

Jaydoc

First Name
Judith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Targa, Taycan on order
Country flag

But yes, it'd be great for stuff to get fixed. Maybe they'll be a big update when the '21s go into production.
What do you mean by #1 on purpose?

Fire34609

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Range Rover TD6 HSE, 2020 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Really curious about these quotes. How does 'software distort' and 'on purpose occur? Can further info be described, please?

[/QUOTE]
1. Backup camera - distorted by the software, like a fun house. Safety issue.

"UroDoc" - Should the lense not create the image? changing the lease correct the concern?
"Miwa" - Is this 'on purpose' due to lease choice? Best and largest angle?

OP
OP

UroDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Why would they distort backup camera on purpose? It appears to be clear safety issue and something that folks like NHTSA and Consumer Reports (which just posted an initial review on the car) should take issue with on consumer's behalf.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
On purpose, meaning the distortion you see isn't likely a bug, but the way they intend it to work. Questioning whether or not that's a good design choice is valid.

flickroll

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I am not a fanboi of any brand by any stretch, I have owned many. So why is it ok to sell car after car with glitchy software? Hell, louv’s dead battery issue has been going on since APRIL! I just don’t understand. I have an incoming Turbo which I will probably buy. Perhaps I am part of the problem. People buying cars with known and unacceptable sw because of it being a new fangled car. Eventually people will say enough is enough, if you want my money, fix the car and then perhaps I will buy it. Sooner or later the crappy sw is going to catch up with Porsche. I know I’m going to get flamed by some, I am just stating my opinion.

Mwa3aan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Raptor, Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I agree with the OP 100% and not with the second post as to why people buy a Porsche.

I think the reason someone buys a specific car is very personal. I love driver orientated cars and therefore love the way the Taycan drives over my Panamera Turbo or a Tesla as example.

But I am also a technologist and was looking forward to Porsche’s version of the future. I wanted to love the end-user technology of the Taycan.

But I don't. It’s badly designed and implemented. You really have to turn a blind eye or focus 100% on driving the car to love it. And thats possible but it can be so much more. Why not?

So for me, I bought the car hoping technology and driver experience will intersect in a unique package that I will love.

Right now the user experience of technology in the Taycan is disappointing. There is a lot of non visible technology doing incredible work and one cannot ignore that but I will list a handful of things below that is disappointing and frustrating.

I know that there will be users on the forum who didn’t buy the Taycan for these reasons but please understand you are not the only buyers of with expectations:
- My Mercedes GL from 2012 could auto-park. There are videos of the Cayenne doing this but no USA dealer can tell you when the car will be able to do this. I was really hoping the Taycan would have this and am disappointed that you cannot get any insight from Porsche as to what the plan is.
- I know Apple wireless CarPlay is new but the user manual refers to connecting CarPlay wirelessly and then never say anything about this again. Nobody at Porsche can provide any insight into this.
- I cannot remote lock, unlock or open windows using the Porsche App on my iPhone. My 2016 Ford F-150 can do this, including remote start, which doesnt apply to an EV. Porsche has indicators for the status of these things which leads me to believe they were half implemented and might evolve, but try to get an answer from anyone at Porsche on this and they stare at you blankly.
- In my Panamera I could connect Amazon music to the in car system. None of those slightly more than basic services are available in the Taycan.
- As for the user experience of the PCM: the scrolling and touch screen experience is terrible and reminds me of the first Android phones released in 2008 (or an Amazon kindle tablet). Its jerky and many times when you try to scroll a list it will open the item you touched rather than scroll the list itself. How is it possible to have such a bad UI design and jerky stuttering implementation on a car this new? Sync 3 on my Ford Raptor scrolls and rubber bands exponentially better than a 2020 Porsche Taycan. It’s frankly embarrassing.
- There are a lot of bugs. A lot. Sometimes they pop up, sometimes not. Sudden restarts, CarPlay not working and plugging and unplugging your phone just to get it to connect are all standard occurrences in the Taycan. Why? Why should I not have an expectation that a $170 000 car will just work with a phone in 2020?

Look there are a lot of great things about the car and I absolutely love driving it.

Will I buy it again with all of its issues? Yes. But that doesnt give Porsche a pass on doing the end-user tech side of this so badly.

For some buyers the technology is a big part of why we buy. When that falls as flat as it did in the Taycan its disappointing.

I can live with all of this if someone can just tell me if and when we will get OTAs. If the answer is we wont then thats fine as well. At least it shows that someone knows something.

The reality is right now not a single person can tell me if the Taycan will get OTA updates and when and if it does what it will include. Not a single person.

Thats simply not good enough in 2020.

Last edited:

chizwheel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A7, Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I agree with the OP 100% and not with the second post as to why people buy a Porsche.

I think the reason someone buys a specific car is very personal. I love driver orientated cars and therefore love the way the Taycan drives over my Panamera Turbo or a Tesla as example.

But I am also a technologist and was looking forward to Porsche’s version of the future. I wanted to love the end-user technology of the Taycan.

But I don't. It’s badly designed and implemented. You really have to turn a blind eye or focus 100% on driving the car to love it. And thats possible but it can be so much more. Why not?

So for me, I bought the car hoping technology and driver experience will intersect in a unique package that I will love.

Right now the user experience of technology in the Taycan is disappointing. There is a lot of non visible technology doing incredible work and one cannot ignore that but I will list a handful of things below that is disappointing and frustrating.

I know that there will be users on the forum who didn’t buy the Taycan for these reasons but please understand you are not the only buyers of with expectations:
- My Mercedes GL from 2012 could auto-park. There are videos of the Cayenne doing this but no USA dealer can tell you when the car will be able to do this. I was really hoping the Taycan would have this and am disappointed that you cannot get any insight from Porsche as to what the plan is.
- I know Apple wireless CarPlay is new but the user manual refers to connecting CarPlay wirelessly and then never say anything about this again. Nobody at Porsche can provide any insight into this.
- I cannot remote lock, unlock or open windows using the Porsche App on my iPhone. My 2016 Ford F-150 can do this, including remote start, which doesnt apply to an EV. Porsche has indicators for the status of these things which leads me to believe they were half implemented and might evolve, but try to get an answer from anyone at Porsche on this and they stare at you blankly.
- In my Panamera I could connect Amazon music to the in car system. None of those slightly more than basic services are available in the Taycan.
- As for the user experience of the PCM: the scrolling and touch screen experience is terrible and reminds me of the first Android phones released in 2008 (or an Amazon kindle tablet). Its jerky and many times when you try to scroll a list it will open the item you touched rather than scroll the list itself. How is it possible to have such a bad UI design and jerky stuttering implementation on a car this new? Sync 3 on my Ford Raptor scrolls and rubber bands exponentially better than a 2020 Porsche Taycan. It’s frankly embarrassing.
- There are a lot of bugs. A lot. Sometimes they pop up, sometimes not. Sudden restarts, CarPlay not working and plugging and unplugging your phone just to get it to connect are all standard occurrences in the Taycan. Why? Why should I not have an expectation that a $170 000 car will just work with a phone in 2020?

Look there are a lot of great things about the car and I absolutely love driving it.

Will I buy it again with all of its issues? Yes. But that doesnt give Porsche a pass on doing the end-user tech side of this so badly.

For some buyers the technology is a big part of why we buy. When that falls as flat as it did in the Taycan its disappointing.

I can live with all of this if someone can just tell me if and when we will get OTAs. If the answer is we wont then thats fine as well. At least it shows that someone knows something.

The reality is right now not a single person can tell me if the Taycan will get OTA updates and when and if it does what it will include. Not a single person.

Very well said

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag

@Mwa3aan for PCNA President!

100% agree with your post (and would add the poor quality backup camera as others have noted). In buying a car I look for the whole package, which includes the technology, comfort, and vendor support. I think the frustration is entirely justified, and I’m happy that nearly everything is software which can be easily fixed as opposed to hardware...we just need Porsche to step up, be transparent, and commit to quality. We do need to raise our voices and demand a car worthy of the brand and reflective of the future. What is the right way to communicate to Porsche / VW to affect change?

MassDriver

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M6
Country flag
Posting here won't do jack to get Porsche's attention as this forum is too small and inactive. Three pressure points potentially:
  1. Dealer complaints and poor CSAT (customer satisfaction) scores. Basically fill in every survey you can get your hands on and complain, take the car back to the dealer with issues as "service issues" needing to be fixed even if its software related. Keep pushing.
  2. Porsche Club of America. Join, participate in events, get to know the club hierarchy and the club's Porsche contacts. Show the problems to other club members so the word gets around.
  3. Media. There were a couple of great "just the facts" lists/presentations put together here. Media love stuff like that as it makes writing stories easier.

awharton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes EQC400
Country flag
100% agree. The biggest issue is have is the PCM. Simply don’t understand why in this day and age the interface is so bad and jerky - it’s almost unusable. There is no excuse for this.

I’ll be raising it via the dealer network as a service issue and will take the car there to be fixed. Will at the same time be raising it with customer services at Porsche UK.

The technology is a key part of the car nowadays - especially in a vehicle like this. Why time wasn’t invested to make this right doesn’t make sense.

It would be better for Porsche to acknowledge the issues and say a fix is in progress than say nothing.
Sponsored

Last edited: