Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
My dealer installed the new Porsche Dashcam [more info] in my Taycan 4s. Here is an overview of the entire process and costs>

1. Took two weeks to receive the dashcam from Germany. The Porsche dealer said the retail price they charge is $650. SuncoastParts.com sells the same dashcam for $475. I got my dealer to drop the price to $500.

2. The dashcam comes without english instructions. The manual is in German. The Taycan mechanic who did the installation told me the install is the same for most Porches regardless if gas or electric. It has to be hardwired to the fuse box under the drivers side of the Taycan and a neutral wire also needs to be installed. It is a difficult job because of all the modules in that area. It took the mechanic 7 hours to install. The Porsche Instructions call for the dashcam to be mounted on the left side (drivers side for usa) of the mirror. However this is wrong for USA cars since in Europe cars have driver side on the right. When mounted per Porsche instructions on the drivers side ,the view when driving is partially blocked by the dashcam. I pointed this out and had them move the camera to the right of the mirror where it is completely hidden.

3. The set up for the application on your phone is simple. The dashcam has its own wifi and password. Open phone settings/wifi connect to Porsche dasham and enter the password. Once you open the application you set your preferences regarding recordings/ driving/ parking/ shock etc. Also there is a section of the application called recorded events where you can view the recordings.

4. The camera is very good, the phone application is good, however the overall price is a lot. Your looking at about $2200 total. It has to be installed by Porsche in order to not void portions of the warranty.

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam Installed - Review and Overview for US Taycan Owners IMG_5848

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam Installed - Review and Overview for US Taycan Owners IMG_5847.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

BB_680

First Name
Bodo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Icegrey Turbo
Country flag
Thanks for sharing your experiences! What is the resolution?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Does it block the view for front seat passenger? It looks lower down the window than I'd have preferred - but perhaps thats just the angle of the picture.

PeterL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S soon
Country flag
The Porsche Instructions call for the dashcam to be mounted on the left side (drivers side for usa) of the mirror. However this is wrong for USA cars since in Europe cars have driver side on the right. When mounted per Porsche instructions on the drivers side ,the view when driving is partially blocked by the dashcam. I pointed this out and had them move the camera to the right of the mirror where it is completely hidden.
Thanks for the very detailed overview. Are you sure the camera is not intended to be fitted on the left side of the mirror? Apart from the UK, Ireland, Cyprus and Malta, the rest of Europe, including Germany, has left side steering wheels like the USA. It sounds like it does not matter technically which side the camera is placed and there is a good reason to place it on the right but it seems likely the instruction to mount it on the left side is by design and not an oversight. I wonder why Porsche advises the left side placement - could it potentially impact warranty if the camera was installed in the opposite position?

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Thanks for the very detailed overview. Are you sure the camera is not intended to be fitted on the left side of the mirror? Apart from the UK, Ireland, Cyprus and Malta, the rest of Europe, including Germany, has left side steering wheels like the USA. It sounds like it does not matter technically which side the camera is placed and there is a good reason to place it on the right but it seems likely the instruction to mount it on the left side is by design and not an oversight. I wonder why Porsche advises the left side placement - could it potentially impact warranty if the camera was installed in the opposite position?
When it was mounted on the left driver side it definitely interfered with my field of vision. Here is a better view of camera. Does not affect passenger side vision

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam Installed - Review and Overview for US Taycan Owners 16346C2C-6552-4C71-BA0D-7283182447B0

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
Thanks for the info! I was very interested in getting this until I saw the finished product. Looks large and intrusive and not OEM. Honestly I installed a front and rear dash cam in my 10 year old BMW in 1hour and it was a seamless install despite not being OEM.

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Thanks for the info! I was very interested in getting this until I saw the finished product. Looks large and intrusive and not OEM. Honestly I installed a front and rear dash cam in my 10 year old BMW in 1hour and it was a seamless install despite not being OEM.
The size is ok but not great. I installed a dashcam in my 640 i bmw and the cable easily fit behind headers and bmw has an outlet under the passenger side . With Taycan the mechanic had to remove headers to run the cable so it is hidden. Then had to run a neutral wire for grounding. Porsche wants it’s dealers to do installation. If done wrong the mechanic told me the 12 volt could be drained. They stated i would void warranty if installation done incorrectly. If anything goes wrong porsche stands behind installation. All said way over priced installation charge but i have to have a camera with all the terrible drivers in California.

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Have to admit, I find the third party dashcam that another user posted much better both in functionality and the integration into the interior.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/quad-hd-dual-dashcam-front-and-back.4939/#post-68475
Agree. I tried to order, company emailed me they do not have a distributor in usa. Wanted me to paypal $. Still issue with porsche warranty and dealer would not install for me But you are correct it is a better configured dashcam