whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
As I understand it, pre-wire is a factory installed run from front to back for the rear camera. They still have to do a run to the fuse box for the front one regardless.
Wow! if that is the case, what a misleading option!:angry: It would be like selling a house with "garage pre-wired for EV charging" only to find out the pre-wiring means they ran Ethernet to the garage, you still have to run your own power cabling.

Any idea where the prewiring can be found at the front and back?
Sponsored

Bobrae99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
For that kind of money, I'd want to see way better integration with the interior.
I agree. That camera is way too low. I don't know why OEM manufacturers (including Porsche) can't come up with a camera integrated into the back of the rear view mirror that is adjustable independent of the mirror with integrated power. I'd pay $1,000 for that option, but if this is what you get with the pre wire, no thanks.

yankeedoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
I have my Blackvue front dashcam mounted on the passenger side (right in the US) up behind the mirror and absolutely does not block my view as a driver. I have the rear camera tucked up in the rear passenger window. You cannot see it and it does not obstruct my view. Look at the picture and there is no sign of a rear camera. No wires visible other than those plugged in the front camera.

Blackvue.jpg
IMG_6564.jpg
Did you have the Porsche pre-wire for dashcam option when you ordered the car?

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, R8 V10+, Q5 Edition 1
Country flag
"It took the mechanic 7 hours to install."

Wow.. I installed a hard-wired radar detector, mounted in the same area - took me 30 minutes and it was the first time I did it.
The official dashcam connections are mounted In pin outs in the rear of the main fuse connector.

I’ve done this job in a B9 RS5 as per Audi’s install instructions. (It’s the same unit as the Audi UTR). It’s a real bastard of a job.

My own personal opinion is that this unit absolute, overpriced dog shit. The resolution is only 1080p and getting files off of the camera is a real pain in the arse. There’s no PC app and you need to use VLC to view files from the rear camera.

BlackVue or similar offer a much better solution for a fraction of the price and are easy to install and have cloud based uploading so you access your video files from anywhere.

I’ve got a 2 channel 4K DR900X with the optional 4G module for remote monitoring. It’s easy to install with only 2 fuse-taps and has no adverse affect on the 12v system.

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, R8 V10+, Q5 Edition 1
Country flag
@PDACPA
Why haven’t you flipped the camera the other way around so the connector end is next to your rear view mirror?

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Did you have the Porsche pre-wire for dashcam option when you ordered the car?
No. My car is a 21. That was not an option then. I ran the wires under the headliner to the A piller and down into the fuse box in the passenger footwell.

Pbear16

First Name
Mj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Macan
Country flag
My dealer installed the new Porsche Dashcam [more info] in my Taycan 4s. Here is an overview of the entire process and costs>

1. Took two weeks to receive the dashcam from Germany. The Porsche dealer said the retail price they charge is $650. SuncoastParts.com sells the same dashcam for $475. I got my dealer to drop the price to $500.

2. The dashcam comes without english instructions. The manual is in German. The Taycan mechanic who did the installation told me the install is the same for most Porches regardless if gas or electric. It has to be hardwired to the fuse box under the drivers side of the Taycan and a neutral wire also needs to be installed. It is a difficult job because of all the modules in that area. It took the mechanic 7 hours to install. The Porsche Instructions call for the dashcam to be mounted on the left side (drivers side for usa) of the mirror. However this is wrong for USA cars since in Europe cars have driver side on the right. When mounted per Porsche instructions on the drivers side ,the view when driving is partially blocked by the dashcam. I pointed this out and had them move the camera to the right of the mirror where it is completely hidden.

3. The set up for the application on your phone is simple. The dashcam has its own wifi and password. Open phone settings/wifi connect to Porsche dasham and enter the password. Once you open the application you set your preferences regarding recordings/ driving/ parking/ shock etc. Also there is a section of the application called recorded events where you can view the recordings.

4. The camera is very good, the phone application is good, however the overall price is a lot. Your looking at about $2200 total. It has to be installed by Porsche in order to not void portions of the warranty.

IMG_5848.jpeg

IMG_5847.PNG
Nice write up. My dashcam records files the recordings on the SD card in 1-minute increments. Needless to say, this makes it very difficult to review anything. Can't find where you change this setting. The Porsche people were useless. Suggestions.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
There is a hidden file on the card, setup.cfg.

I noticed these values in there you might be able to change:

Driving Record Duration : 60
Parking Record Duration : 20

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
@PDACPA
Why haven’t you flipped the camera the other way around so the connector end is next to your rear view mirror?
Yep, that's how I installed mine. I moved it as far up as I could so it would not be in the line of sight for my passengers (wife mainly).

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam Installed - Review and Overview for US Taycan Owners IMG_7149

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yep, that's how I installed mine. I moved it as far up as I could so it would not be in the line of sight for my passengers (wife mainly).

IMG_7149.jpg
Move your radar to the left of the mirror and wire with a mirror tap. Keeps both hidden and no obstructed view.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Move your radar to the left of the mirror and wire with a mirror tap. Keeps both hidden and no obstructed view.
I don’t like to use the suction cups because they often come loose once they age. I have the blend mount and never have to remove my radar.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t like to use the suction cups because they often come loose once they age. I have the blend mount and never have to remove my radar.
I agree. Suction are not great, but I just buy new ones every so often and I swap my V1Gen2 to other cars and when traveling. The blend mount is nice, but obstructs my view and mine is not visible outside the car ( not that so drive in VA ever lol).