Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
With less than $2200 you can upgrade your insurance coverage to pay for the damage no matter whose fault was :)
Lol my ins for my bmw $1800 yr. taycan $3800.
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
With less than $2200 you can upgrade your insurance coverage to pay for the damage no matter whose fault was :)
IMHO that is penny wise and pound foolish.

in addition to providing evidence of fault in a crash the camera has other uses. for example if accused or passing a red light the camera could prove that you didn't. or on many of the new cameras the camera monitor the car while parked and can catch someone who hit your car and ran.
lastly in addition to the costs of repairs, if you are deemed at fault for the accident your insurance rates will go up, having video of the incident could prove which driver was at fault.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
For that kind of money, I'd want to see way better integration with the interior.
Absolutely! Why on earth does a little cam need such a huge housing?

I prefer my Made in China front dash cam.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Absolutely! Why on earth does a little cam need such a huge housing?
It should be noted that the housing contains a radar which is used in low-power parking mode to detect movement and start recording. Its an option that can be turned on/off but instead of having to keep the camera on and doing image movement detection – this is a much lower power solution.

Meaning it can handle parking mode protection for longer.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
IMHO that is penny wise and pound foolish.

in addition to providing evidence of fault in a crash the camera has other uses. for example if accused or passing a red light the camera could prove that you didn't. or on many of the new cameras the camera monitor the car while parked and can catch someone who hit your car and ran.
lastly in addition to the costs of repairs, if you are deemed at fault for the accident your insurance rates will go up, having video of the incident could prove which driver was at fault.
This is all good but you need a camera with side and rear coverage. For parking you need a camera with its own battery. On the Taycan if you leave the dash camera on it will drain the small 12v battery (dash cams draining the 12v battery has been reported multiple times in this forum).
The car already has plenty of cameras. I wish Porsche would offer the option to use the car's surround cameras without any installation needed. I would probably pay $2000 for that.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
It should be noted that the housing contains a radar which is used in low-power parking mode to detect movement and start recording. Its an option that can be turned on/off but instead of having to keep the camera on and doing image movement detection – this is a much lower power solution.

Meaning it can handle parking mode protection for longer.
OK, it has more features, that's good. Sounds like it comes with it's own battery, too...

My simple forward dash cam is simply always recording when the car is switched on. I need this for proof in case of accident.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
The car already has plenty of cameras. I wish Porsche would offer the option to use the car's surround cameras without any installation needed. I would probably pay $2000 for that.
Maybe not on top of their list because in Germany unattended constant recording of public spaces has legal issues.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Maybe not on top of their list because in Germany unattended constant recording of public spaces has legal issues.
I doubt this is the case. They already offer the dashcam stick product which records public spaces. I am not proposing any different functionality, just a better implementation that uses the existing cameras and does not require hardware installation.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Except in no-fault states....

DavidInEngland

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mamba Green Taycan, Miami Blue Boxster 718, Mercedes-Benz A Class, Mini Cooper S
Country flag

Schlarbsi

First Name
Dominik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
When it was mounted on the left driver side it definitely interfered with my field of vision. Here is a better view of camera. Does not affect passenger side vision

16346C2C-6552-4C71-BA0D-7283182447B0.jpeg
They mounted mine on the driverside too. Absolut disturbing. Tomorrow they will put it like yours.

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam Installed - Review and Overview for US Taycan Owners 5AA3A83C-4550-42B6-8CD1-EFB7C2E15AD7

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam Installed - Review and Overview for US Taycan Owners 31CC7E55-A616-4985-9A7A-8EA053B8DCDC