robert.ladd

First Name
robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 911, 2016 macan turbo
Country flag
Please let us know if you have an issue with the camera not turning on when the car is turned on. Also, did your dealer confirm car warranty would not be affected by a non dealer install. My dealer stated non dealer install could void warranty if electrical issue ( probably BS to over charge me)
When it boots on after ignition on, the camera talks to you and tells you what "mode" its in. I did not directly ask, but I did call my usual service advisor when the installer was having issues with deciphering the wiring (brown, instead of black, red and green). He had asked to let him know how I like as he may install in his. My dealer is reasonable..obviously if the root cause turns out to be related to in the install then yes an issue, but if the breaks have an issue...non issue

good luck
Sponsored

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
When it boots on after ignition on, the camera talks to you and tells you what "mode" its in. I did not directly ask, but I did call my usual service advisor when the installer was having issues with deciphering the wiring (brown, instead of black, red and green). He had asked to let him know how I like as he may install in his. My dealer is reasonable..obviously if the root cause turns out to be related to in the install then yes an issue, but if the breaks have an issue...non issue

good luck
Thanks, my dashcam only turns on 50 percent of time so dealer replacing it
I have to reset with-a paper clip to turn it on when ignition does not work

Crazycanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 911, Cayenne Turbo SE, McLaren GT
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam Installed - Review and Overview for US Taycan Owners 5F4FCC7D-082E-4B68-80C8-EDA65BEE92BD

Here is mine installed. Not much obstruction of vis and I don’t mind it there. Pardon the dirty windshield - it was parked outside for a few days with rain.

Dashcam works and powers on and off consistently and tells you if it’s recording or not.

I cannot for the life of me connect the app. Restored factory default many times. I did confirm by viewing video on my computer that it records consistently.

overall installed for $1080 (6 hours of labor) at Porsche Bellingham. I was their first install so took longer than expected.

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
5F4FCC7D-082E-4B68-80C8-EDA65BEE92BD.jpeg

Here is mine installed. Not much obstruction of vis and I don’t mind it there. Pardon the dirty windshield - it was parked outside for a few days with rain.

Dashcam works and powers on and off consistently and tells you if it’s recording or not.

I cannot for the life of me connect the app. Restored factory default many times. I did confirm by viewing video on my computer that it records consistently.

overall installed for $1080 (6 hours of labor) at Porsche Bellingham. I was their first install so took longer than expected
To connect to the application you have to first turn carplay off. On iphone: general/ carplay. My dealer returned my dashcam after replacing 2 x confirmed with porsche firmware defective. Cam will mis read voltage and not turn on 1/2 the time. No fix

Crazycanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
5F4FCC7D-082E-4B68-80C8-EDA65BEE92BD.jpeg

overall installed for $1080 (6 hours of labor) at Porsche Bellingham. I was their first install so took longer than expected.
OK the trick was to put in airplane mode and turn on Wifi only to connect to the cam. Some other member suggested in this post. Jesus Porsche…

Crazycanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To connect to the application you have to first turn carplay off. On iphone: general/ carplay. My dealer returned my dashcam after replacing 2 x confirmed with porsche firmware defective. Cam will mis read voltage and not turn on 1/2 the time. No fix
Yea CarPlay was turned off already.

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
OK the trick was to put in airplane mode and turn on Wifi only to connect to the cam. Some other member suggested in this post. Jesus Porsche…
Yes that works too. If you have issues with dashcam not turning on at times and the only to activate is by resetting with a paperclip dont waste your time trying to have dealer replace it. My dealer refunded me $2300 for install and camera after porsche admitted its defective product

DavidInEngland

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mamba Green Taycan, Miami Blue Boxster 718, Mercedes-Benz A Class, Mini Cooper S
Country flag
All I want is a USBc power socket by the mirror and I'll choose my own dashcam if this is the best Porsche can do.

TT459S

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Targa 4, 2023 Macan S
Country flag
I got my Porsche Dashcam installed a few weeks back and am trying to figure a few things out.
  1. Recording when driving doesn't seem to be continuous (ie. complete), although that's the mode I selected. I was looking for scenes from a one hour trip, and they simply weren't there.
  2. Timestamp on the recording is sometimes off by many years, months, days, hours, minutes, seconds. It look as though the clock is only set once it received GPS signal (my car is in a parkade) and when it verifies it with the app on your phone (and sometimes thats a problem, see 3. when it is connected to the Taycan's hotspot). This makes looking for scenes of video very hard. Why doesn't it remember its last date stamp - was installation incorrect? The dashcam does work in Parking mode, so its not without power...
  3. I had configured it to connect to my Taycan's hotspot - which it does but as the Taycan's hotspot is hit and miss and takes a few minutes to start - this is creating a problem. Note I can connect to dashcam with my phone through the hotspot but its just too slow to connect and unreliable. So I let my phone 'forget' about the hotspot connection as it doesn't do anything for me anyway as Porsche Canada doesn't provide a data service connection (and Bluetooth is good enough for carplay) - although wireless Apple Carplay might need it (I am not sure) .
  4. I find the filetransfer speeds very slow. Like a minute video per minute. Seems better to take out the SD card and load it on your PC. (Make sure to turn off dashcam properly).
Anyone familiar with these issues? I will also talk to my dealer, if these issues are normal or if there is a problem with the unit (or installation).

By the way, I installed a 128GB 4K/UHD (V30 speedclass) Sandisk and its working well.

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
I got my Porsche Dashcam installed a few weeks back and am trying to figure a few things out.
  1. Recording when driving doesn't seem to be continuous (ie. complete), although that's the mode I selected. I was looking for scenes from a one hour trip, and they simply weren't there.
  2. Timestamp on the recording is sometimes off by many years, months, days, hours, minutes, seconds. It look as though the clock is only set once it received GPS signal (my car is in a parkade) and when it verifies it with the app on your phone (and sometimes thats a problem, see 3. when it is connected to the Taycan's hotspot). This makes looking for scenes of video very hard. Why doesn't it remember its last date stamp - was installation incorrect? The dashcam does work in Parking mode, so its not without power...
  3. I had configured it to connect to my Taycan's hotspot - which it does but as the Taycan's hotspot is hit and miss and takes a few minutes to start - this is creating a problem. Note I can connect to dashcam with my phone through the hotspot but its just too slow to connect and unreliable. So I let my phone 'forget' about the hotspot connection as it doesn't do anything for me anyway as Porsche Canada doesn't provide a data service connection (and Bluetooth is good enough for carplay) - although wireless Apple Carplay might need it (I am not sure) .
  4. I find the filetransfer speeds very slow. Like a minute video per minute. Seems better to take out the SD card and load it on your PC. (Make sure to turn off dashcam properly).
Anyone familiar with these issues? I will also talk to my dealer, if these issues are normal or if there is a problem with the unit (or installation).

By the way, I installed a 128GB 4K/UHD (V30 speedclass) Sandisk and its working well.
I guess you did not read my detailed post re how the Porsche cam is defective. My dealer had to refund the installation and cost of the unit after confirming with Porsche the cam is defective in several ways.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Thinking of backing this one.

-ThinkMac-
Interesting one and some nice features re cloud storage and accessibility.

Have used a BlackVue WiFi version for years now and has been seamless in the M4 - also very neat in respect no interference with view, tucked directly under the mirror housing with a tap for power.

Cannot see any manual or description for how to wire this puppy up on their site but perhaps more of an issue might be what kind of draw this puts on the car i.e. if directly from the 12V supply will this cause too much drain and lead to all sorts of other issues (referencing prior discussions on issues with the smaller battery in the car)?

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Am I to understand the Porsche software is ready for a rear camera, but installing this OEM camera only gives you front camera capability?
Sponsored