outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
So I purchased an aftermarket Dashcam that I had planned to install myself, but now I am having a few doubts about installing myself. I have seen posts about how to remove the mirror cover, but nothing about a-pillar, etc. I have searched both here and generally and have not seen anything.

I have the proper interior tools, but I don’t want to undertake this job if the risk of breaking or damaging trim parts is too high. Anyone know of any good installers in the DMV area?
The driver door footwell fuse cover comes off easily. Then the panel on the side of the dashboard came off quite easily too. Mirror cover you have to pry it forward (it slides horizontally into position). The a-pillar I was able to open it big enough (facing outside) to run the cable through. I did not feel anything was going to break easily.
Sponsored

Stewartt997

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST4S
Country flag
Hello - I'm expecting a MY23 ST 4S to arrive in October. Does anyone know if UK cars have pre-installed hardwiring for a dashcam as standard?

I recall seeing something written about US cars having this now and I can't see anything on the UK configurator that shows this as an option.

For those of you who bought the Blackvue instead of the neater Fitcam x - what clinched it for you?

Thanks.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I'm expecting a MY23 ST 4S to arrive in October. Does anyone know if UK cars have pre-installed hardwiring for a dashcam as standard?
It won't and that option a] hasn't made it to all regional configurators yet and b] I believe if you choose it where it is an option it blocks the car from being built.

In general, it sounds like Porsche isn't up and running yet with it!

In terms of anything standard with your car – you should have a read of the Standard Features in your configurator. They are fairly detailed and accurate.

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam Installed - Review and Overview for US Taycan Owners Screenshot 2022-08-07 at 12.13.42

Last edited:

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
The Porsche OEM dashcam looks more aftermarket than Blackvue, which comes with 2 cameras, front and rear. Blackvue installation takes from 30 minutes to maybe 2 hours (hatchbacks take longer as you have to find a way to feed the wire to the tailgate). I've installed BV's in all of our family cars, all wires are hidden except right next to the camera. I treat dashcams like airbags, hope to never use them, but really glad they are there. I also consider front+rear a must. Only had to use it once for something serious, but when we did, it was the rear camera which saved the day, proved the other driver's fault, so that we saved on $900 deductible and our insurance did not go up since without it, it would have likely been ruled "no fault" which means both parties at fault and than means full deductible and insurance goes up next renewal. Without the dashcam footage, there would have been no proof who veered into whose lane. Here is the video:

The above accident totaled one of our Model S - it was barely a year old then. :( Just this one accident probably covered the cost of all dashcams in all of our family cars. As for other uses, my daughter once used hers to prove who wrote some derogatory slogans on her windshield while parked at her school. Nothing that couldn't be cleaned up with some cleaner, but there was some satisfaction in catching the perpetrators.

Someday, when Porsche figures out out how to build me a Taycan, I plan to install 2CH 4K blackvue solution, unless they have something better by then. Too bad the Porsche dashcam is such an afterthought, Had they planned ahead, they could have created a front and rear (possibly side) camera "taps" (digital repeaters) which could have been used by the Porsche dashcam product. It would have been completely invisible as with such a solution it could be hidden out of sight.
Wow nasty crash glad you are ok.

I’m getting my Blackvue 900X installed next week…

MrBlueSky

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Can't comment on the blocking of building but, the pre-wiring has made it to the UK (CT) configurator and is a no cost option in the Comfort & Assistance Systems section. Not sure why it couldn't just be standard if there's no cost in speccing it but, that's Porsche for you.

Maybe they leave the wires dangling out and that's why you have the choice!? :rolleyes: ;)

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam Installed - Review and Overview for US Taycan Owners dash cam config prep.JPG

TieCon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X - PLAID
Country flag
Prep for dash cam front and rear is in the config. I'm going to be adding it on for sure, then figure out if I go OEM or aftermarket for the cams.

TT459S

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Targa 4, 2023 Macan S
Country flag
My 2 cents: go aftermarket. I had my Porsche Dashcam installed a year ago and it simply didn't work - there are similar commens elsewhere in this forum. It doesn't record entire journeys, despite setting it up for it, and for whatever reason, the standard date is 9 years, 30 days and several hour and minutes ahead - somehow it doesn't pickup the right date/time everytime all the time... The dealer tried several times but couldn't fix it so gave me a refund for the cam and install. Picture quality is good though, but downloading from the dashcam is slow, and cannot be done via the Internet - also it creates MP4s somewhere on your phone - not in the iPhone photo library.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag

gareth lloyd

First Name
Gareth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Cooper SE, Porsche Taycan ST 4S
Country flag
Mainland Europe they drive on the left (!) and in UK / Ireland on the right so logically the instructions are correct.
Hi, can I ask if your Taycan had factory fitted dash cam pre wiring option...it's a 'free' option in UK.. I have just ordered a Taycan with dashcam pre wiring. I had assumed by ordering this, that installing the Porsche dash cam would be simple plug and play, rather than having to wire it into a fuse box?

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Hi, can I ask if your Taycan had factory fitted dash cam pre wiring option...it's a 'free' option in UK.. I have just ordered a Taycan with dashcam pre wiring. I had assumed by ordering this, that installing the Porsche dash cam would be simple plug and play, rather than having to wire it into a fuse box?
The USA taycan was not pre wired. Dealer ran a wire to the fuse box. It never worked correctly. The dash am itself mis read the voltage and had to be reset to start. You should confirm they fixed this issue

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I don't know as these were loaner cars. They will be factory prewire and dealer fit if the camera. There was no rear camera.

mcdermottm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB EQE SUV 350+, ‘23 Taycan RWD coming soon
Country flag
One often-overlooked issue is the Porsche das cam product description says that wireless CarPlay functionality is lost when it’s installed.

gareth lloyd

First Name
Gareth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Cooper SE, Porsche Taycan ST 4S
Country flag
thanks for all the advice, the loss of wireless car play would be an issue for me..will need to look into this further.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
So why aren't people installing the OEM camera in this location? This looks low enough to be mostly obscured from the driver's view. I think it looks kinda out of place on the right side high or the left side high.

I'm going with this camera after getting a FitcamX that didn't work, and subsequent cold feet.

This install spot looks pretty clean to me, what am I missing?