outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
So why aren't people installing the OEM camera in this location? This looks low enough to be mostly obscured from the driver's view. I think it looks kinda out of place on the right side high or the left side high.

I'm going with this camera after getting a FitcamX that didn't work, and subsequent cold feet.

This install spot looks pretty clean to me, what am I missing?
I don’t think it’s the location, but the camera itself that sucks. At least that’s the impression I get from reading this thread. My blackvue has been working great.
Sponsored

Fall7St8nd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So why aren't people installing the OEM camera in this location? This looks low enough to be mostly obscured from the driver's view. I think it looks kinda out of place on the right side high or the left side high.

I'm going with this camera after getting a FitcamX that didn't work, and subsequent cold feet.

This install spot looks pretty clean to me, what am I missing?
Definitely interested in your installation experience. I think the location is just fine. While not as sleek as FitcamX or BlackVue, it’s not bad at all… and I’d like to take advantage of the pre-wired configuration option.

Someone on Rennlist recently confirmed the additional wiring harness available in the front. No visual confirmation of the wiring harness in the rear, but no reason to presume it won’t be there. And with Suncoast highlighting the shipment of a front AND rear camera with your dashcam purchase (depending on VIN)… it’s still early days for the Porsche dashcam option, but getting there.

kennykill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan -- waiting for delivery
Country flag
I ordered the Ring Car Cam. Should receive it by mid-Feb. If it doesn't do the job I may have to circle back to this.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Definitely interested in your installation experience. I think the location is just fine. While not as sleek as FitcamX or BlackVue, it’s not bad at all… and I’d like to take advantage of the pre-wired configuration option.
All the install pics I've seen have it in weird, obtrusive spots. Even the installation manual has it in a weird obtrusive spot.

I hope they will put it where I want, as depicted in that photo. It will be mostly out of my sight, centered on the car, and looking decent.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
All the install pics I've seen have it in weird, obtrusive spots. Even the installation manual has it in a weird obtrusive spot.
I think thats the problem. You get an official install from Porsche Centre and the camera is going to be placed half-way down your windscreen.

🤷‍♀️

I hope they will put it where I want, as depicted in that photo. It will be mostly out of my sight, centered on the car, and looking decent.
Defo let us know how you get on – as this is stopping me too.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I think thats the problem. You get an official install from Porsche Centre and the camera is going to be placed half-way down your windscreen.
I don't understand why they'd suggest this spot in the install instructions:

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam Installed - Review and Overview for US Taycan Owners Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 8.07.18 AM

And advertise this one, which is so much nicer and probably barely even visible from the driver's seat:

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam Installed - Review and Overview for US Taycan Owners Dashcam Install Spot

I will definitely report back. I plan to put blue tape where I want it and discuss it with them fully before they start the work. Just waiting on its arrival as Suncoast is backordered.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I don't understand why they'd suggest this spot in the install instructions:
So here is my hunch: They have determined there is a 0.00001% probability that the dash-cam has a chance of interfering with the driver assistance systems/safety camera that is in the same area. Perhaps the dash-cam uses infrared light to focus or something.

And so – in typical OEM/Porsche fashion they've decided to eliminate that risk by installing it where they do.

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
I ordered the Ring Car Cam. Should receive it by mid-Feb. If it doesn't do the job I may have to circle back to this.
I ordered the Ring Car Cam for our 2023 Mini Cooper SE. Thought I would give it a try since Amazon returns have been easy so far (knock on wood)....

GreenHornet

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 4 Mamba Green
Country flag
I just got the Porsche dashcam installed front and back on my 2023 CT4. Works great so far.

Fall7St8nd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I just got the Porsche dashcam installed front and back on my 2023 CT4. Works great so far.
Yes, more details please! Installed pics would be great.

Did you order the dash cam preparation option? If so, how much effort (and rough cost, if willing to share) for the dealer to install?

Apple wireless car play disabled all the time? Or only when you attempt to access dash cam footage from your phone app?

Many of us are definitely curious to learn from your experience!

GreenHornet

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 4 Mamba Green
Country flag
You CAN use wireless CarPlay as usual with the dashcam installed.

They way I have set it up is that is uses it's own Wi-Fi so I can access that from the phone (the default config). It is not connected to the cars Wi-Fi. That way I can use CarPlay as before.

The only problem I have had is that CarPlay with override the Wi-Fi setup on the iPhone when you connect to the camera Wi-Fi and you have to reconnect. I disabled CarPlay on the phone when I need to access the camera if this problem comes.

The Porsche Dashcam app is not the best but it does the job.

I had the car delivered from factory with the pre-wiring for dashcam. They dealership said they would use 3 hours to do the install. But they used more time since they had some problems and was missing some cables. They had the car for a day and a half since they had to wait for the cables from another dealership. But I only paid for the 3 hours that was in the offer they gave me.

It was costly, about $1460 in totalt for the front and back dashcam with installation and so on. But seeing Porsche is a pain in the ass with warranties it's "worth" it. The cameras itself was just $500. On top of that in Norway we have a 25% VAT.

The partsnumbers they used is listed here:
9Y0044951 (cameras) $500
9Y0044955C (cable set for camera) $35
9Y0044956 (cable set for camera) $35
9Y0044956A (cable set for camera) $35

The installation is ok enough.

EDIT: Photos attached

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam Installed - Review and Overview for US Taycan Owners 8BF817F0-BDE6-4B98-859A-F06202E04007

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam Installed - Review and Overview for US Taycan Owners C2CA3134-DB49-4C72-907E-A0B91587068F

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam Installed - Review and Overview for US Taycan Owners F18EE941-0DBB-42AD-A1B2-E8C9565B9FE0

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam Installed - Review and Overview for US Taycan Owners 66A99B76-F8C5-4A9B-BD94-438B5AF4929F

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam Installed - Review and Overview for US Taycan Owners F8BF412D-026F-41E4-B37B-2D2D2081187D

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam Installed - Review and Overview for US Taycan Owners C7892289-8932-4394-A92D-66D848E43034

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam Installed - Review and Overview for US Taycan Owners AE66E0CA-D295-4F44-8450-CB0618BD10DE

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam Installed - Review and Overview for US Taycan Owners 4F005257-5AF1-41C6-B210-0E8743ECD5B6

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam Installed - Review and Overview for US Taycan Owners DC1A7017-BFB9-47EF-8B25-B526FC5E6939

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam Installed - Review and Overview for US Taycan Owners A3EF3795-95E6-4795-9A7B-7DE658C3FBF6

Last edited:

800v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It was costly, about $1460 in totalt for the front and back dashcam with installation and so on.
:eek:

If you can, can you check in the parking mode settings what the voltage cut off limit is? ( It seems to be not mentioned in the manual though so maybe it's not user visible)
Sponsored