daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I have many questions - but most of all how is it installed and what model year vehicles support it?
Sponsored

Jon Steinmetz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Don't all dashcams just record while driving?

I wouldn't want to need to manually trigger a recording to record the stupidity of other drivers since at that point it is too late or you should be paying attention to the road more.
First I should say that I have not owned a dash cam so my opinions are only based on videos and such.

To my knowledge dash cams always record and if something happens they can save a couple of minutes of video around the event. But things can happen that don't involve a collision and one may want a way to manually trigger an event, i.e. something bad (or funny) happens and you can press a button to have it save the video. I think all dash cams I have seen have a way to manually trigger an event so it seems strange this one does not appear to have that functionality. Perhaps it does and I am missing something.

Last edited:

Dynasty929

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Looks like the same dash cam from Audi UTR......the video quality is decent and not comparable to some third party dash cams.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Looks like the same dash cam from Audi UTR......the video quality is decent and not comparable to some third party dash cams.
Good find! Seems that came out in 2017 and I haven't seen any updates, but my googling may be weak, so hopefully they did upgrade the quality since way back then.

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Plus
Country flag
A friend of mine installs after market stuff like high end audio, rear view cams and the last years a lot of dashcams for insurance and liability reasons.

He does a lot of Porsche, Bentley, Aston, high end BMW and Mercedes so I'm not really concerned by the quality of the work or damage to interior or whatever. However I have been hesitating because of 12v. OEM Porsche could pull me over the line.

DennisB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
It looks to me that this dashcam is attached to the windshield like any other dashcam with adhesive. There is no bracket to be seen that could be attached to the mirror or surrounding parts when looking at the few pictures that are available.

I therefore assume this aftermarket dashcam has the Porsche or Audi brand stamped on it and has the same functionalities as for example the Blackvue camera.

Or do you guys think the Porsche Dashcam has benefits to other brands besides aesthetics?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Service and impact on warranty are the obvious ones.

Imagine installing an aftermarket dashcam and having a 12v issue...
precisely, one would assume that if porsche sponsors the procuct, sells the product and installs the product into their vehicle that the product will work properly in their vehicles. the lack of availability of the product hints to a lack of compatibility with the car.

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
FWIW most higher end dash cam installs will incorporate an external battery source that is divorced from the OEM 12V system for parking mode.

They will accept a charge when the vehicle is running/charging the 12V system.

DennisB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
FWIW most higher end dash cam installs will incorporate an external battery source that is divorced from the OEM 12V system for parking mode.

They will accept a charge when the vehicle is running/charging the 12V system.
Indeed, like the blackvue system. It shuts down when the battery is drained to much.

Schlarbsi

First Name
Dominik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Other cam I found is a fitcamx

this one get power by an y-cable on the Rainsensor. This one is only 168 Dollar.

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam - What did I miss? 93108B12-33E3-4510-877E-84492164B55B

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam - What did I miss? A8E6CAFF-85D7-4CED-A0A4-267D7F760BA2

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam - What did I miss? CE3DEB0C-5978-4EFD-AC4D-F666CCF95A4D

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam - What did I miss? FF230BFB-3B06-4DA1-95AA-AE3AE217E449

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam - What did I miss? 16DBC904-3CE9-41D8-BE10-47D44F3F02B3

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Other cam I found is a fitcamx

this one get power by an y-cable on the Rainsensor. This one is only 168 Dollar.
just to confirm before I order, is this a taycan? and do you suggest the model A for the car?
did you do the install?

Schlarbsi

First Name
Dominik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
just to confirm before I order, is this a taycan? and do you suggest the model A for the car?
did you do the install?
It is not my car. I got in contact with them by Facebook. They send me those pictures and an offer for the cam, the fitted covers for the Taycan and shipping to Germany.
Video of fitcamx on YouTube are looking good and there are also mounting videos.
not Sure if it is A or B, best thing to contact them directly by Facebook.
i did not order yet, because I want to know whether the Porsche solution works with the Taycan. Looking forward to get those information mid next week.
Sponsored