Porsche drivers are 55% more likely to crash while driving their Porsche [all models] compared to their other vehicle - Study & Article - Corrected

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
"Tesla owners who also drive another vehicle are 50% less likely to have an accident in their Tesla compared to in their other vehicles, according to an interesting new study looking at EV drivers who drive multiple vehicles.

The study is coming from Cambridge Mobile Telematics, which collects telematics data from millions of vehicles."

Edited on June 21:
I contacted Cambridge Mobile Telematics. The study's conclusion about Porsche drivers is based on drivers of all Porsche models, not just Taycans.

"This is not limited to the Porsche Taycan.... we are actively looking at all Porsche vehicles"

Webinar presentation of study: https://www.cmtelematics.com/webinar-do-electric-vehicles-make-drivers-safer-or-riskier-recording/
Time 11:10: Risk event types
Time 32:30: Behavior analysis for the same driver using 2 vehicles - Tesla
Time 37:13: Behavior analysis for the same driver using 2 vehicles - Porsche
"Are Tesla drivers safer than Porsche drivers" - answered in Q&A at end

News release: https://www.cmtelematics.com/news/c...-into-changes-in-road-safety-in-an-ev-future/
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Your title is very misleading. Taycan is never mentioned in the article. The study is obviously referencing Porsche ICE models.
Edited on June 21: You are correct. The study is referring to all Porsche models. See edited original post

Last edited:

SlyStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Tesla Model X Pld, '24 GLS450
Country flag
I just don’t see any reference to Taycan in the original study. The auto evolution article says Taycan, but then the reference link points to the study which does not mention Taycan.

I understand the study and it’s conclusion that Tesla owners who also own an ICE vehicle are much less likely to crash the Tesla. I just don’t see any specific mention in the study/data for Taycan owners.

im85288a

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST
Country flag
I think it is this part:

“Among the most compelling new findings are the comparisons between drivers who operate both an electric vehicle and an internal combustion vehicle, allowing for a better understanding of risk across vehicle platforms,” said Ryan McMahon, VP of Strategy for CMT. “These findings include an analysis of Tesla drivers who also operate another vehicle. These drivers are nearly 50% less likely to crash while driving their Tesla than any other vehicle they operate. We conducted the same analysis on individuals who operate a Porsche and another vehicle. In this case, we observed the opposite effect. Porsche drivers are 55% more likely to crash while driving their Porsche compared to their other vehicle.”

The assumption here being that the Porsche is a Taycan (which makes sense as it is their only EV)

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I suspect the implication is that Tesla drivers are careful and conservative in their driving while Porsche drivers are impulsive and take more chances. I don't see any issues with that hypothesis... I mean anecdotally, it makes sense. Sub out Prius drivers for Tesla drives 10 years ago, and I suspect you'd reach a similar result.

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
I suspect the implication is that Tesla drivers are careful and conservative in their driving while Porsche drivers are impulsive and take more chances. I don't see any issues with that hypothesis... I mean anecdotally, it makes sense. Sub out Prius drivers for Tesla drives 10 years ago, and I suspect you'd reach a similar result.
2 other things:

1) The safety features on Tesla’s are much better than on the Taycan IME eg I trusted Autopilot but Lane Keep just switches itself off without warning
2) Would assume a Taycan driver is more likely to be driving aggressively than let’s say for example a Model 3 / Y driver? Is there a sub-comparison only to a high performance Model S?

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
Interesting. The snippet from the study doesn't really support a conclusion that the study included only Taycans in its reference to Porsche vehicles in general.

binobeetle

First Name
Binoy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, Focus RS
Country flag
Unfortunately I cannot find a copy of the actual study or presentation.
You will not. Because, most likely they are fake.

One of the best advertising of Tesla is done through Google search. You would have noticed a lot of never heard of before websites that showed up recently. Tesla funds websites to run stories and claims and they keep updating the tags to show up on the first 4 on the google search. Apparently that's working pretty good for them. That's the same reason why no one can find the original study if at all there is one.

I find myself going to the second or third page of google search to get the correct intent for any search, as the first page is reserved for advertisers.

Just ignore these websites and move on.

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
It is a little known but unfortunate reality that a sort of misinformation war is being led by many corporate interests to their own advantages. I know, my tin-foil hat is buzzing, but the Internet is the prime vehicle (pun intended) for this type of jousting.

There are several reasons why Tesla as a corporation spends little to nothing on direct advertising -- 'studies' like these, or 'informative websites' as mentioned above are only two of a hundred tactics.

One only has to look at the misinformation campaigns spread by Toyota against BEV's (and positive about Hydrogen or PHEV's) as an example.

I would surmise that the safest non-gasoline vehicle in the above study would be the Toyota Mirai -- because NOBODY WANTS ONE.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
It is a little known but unfortunate reality that a sort of misinformation war is being led by many corporate interests to their own advantages. I know, my tin-foil hat is buzzing, but the Internet is the prime vehicle (pun intended) for this type of jousting.

There are several reasons why Tesla as a corporation spends little to nothing on direct advertising -- 'studies' like these, or 'informative websites' as mentioned above are only two of a hundred tactics.

One only has to look at the misinformation campaigns spread by Toyota against BEV's (and positive about Hydrogen or PHEV's) as an example.

I would surmise that the safest non-gasoline vehicle in the above study would be the Toyota Mirai -- because NOBODY WANTS ONE.
It's a way of weaponising PR and difficult for the accused to do anything about it legally.

If anything, legal action only amplifies the original accusation. So Porsche rightly just ignores and no doubt has a team of search and social reputation management teams that bury the horsesh*t about the brand and its cars.

Deleted member 6348

I find the Tesla trolling of the Taycan community, and along with other EV communities, to be exhausting. Maybe if Tesla’s were actually enjoyable to drive, they’d spend less time trolling the forums. 😜

Teslas are crap. Musk is charlatan. Tesla is now having untrained personnel working the service centers, because they could care less about your safety. Heck, you can’t even open the back doors from the inside if you lose power.

I’ve driven Tesla cars. I will never be giving Elon a dime of my money. The owner community is spectacularly toxic.
Sponsored