atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I’m “honored” to be part of the Porsche Drivers Council (yea...me & about 500,000 others prolly). For those not familiar, Porsche periodically sends out surveys about their cars, new features, services, etc.

The survey I responded to today involved Over-The-Air (OTA) updates, which I thought would be of particular interest to this community. I thought that they asked some reasonably coherent questions in terms of what I would want in terms of OTA updates (should they be bug fixes, new features, fru-fru, how often, etc.). If you happen to get this survey from Porsche I think it would be worthwhile for forum members to complete it.
Sponsored

DGT

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Targa 4S, '21 Cayenne S, '21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Same here. Seemed like a rather thorough survey - much more meat to it than the others they've conducted.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I’m “honored” to be part of the Porsche Drivers Council (yea...me & about 500,000 others prolly). For those not familiar, Porsche periodically sends out surveys about their cars, new features, services, etc.

The survey I responded to today involved Over-The-Air (OTA) updates, which I thought would be of particular interest to this community. I thought that they asked some reasonably coherent questions in terms of what I would want in terms of OTA updates (should they be bug fixes, new features, fru-fru, how often, etc.). If you happen to get this survey from Porsche I think it would be worthwhile for forum members to complete it.
all that the engineers at porsche need to do is to emulate the tesla systems.
tesla OTA updates run the gamut from minor bug fixes to major system upgrades to map updates. their system is fast, easy to use, runs seamlessly and rarely if ever causes errors like we've seen with this last big update from porsche.

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
tesla OTA updates run the gamut from minor bug fixes to major system upgrades to map updates. their system is fast, easy to use, runs seamlessly and rarely if ever causes errors like we've seen with this last big update from porsche.
I don't agree. Porsche should be careful what to update OTA and what to update by visit to PC. Any update that involves critical/safety driving system with re-calibration must be done at a PC.

I have gotten a bunch of map updates OTA, no flaws there.

I do agree Porsche has to do better especially regarding communication with the owners. They have a huge number of websites, why not set up an owner forum monitored by Porsche and only accessible by owners. With both private(for complaints) and public area.

What would really help is more insight in the internal operations of the many controllers in the car. I am still searching for an OBDII dongle that would give me that.

*Wishful thinking* One day we'll have a Porsche PCM app store. I for one will then make available an app that would allow real-time logging written to an USB drive. External apps can run in their own docker environment without interfering with Porsche apps.

OP
OP
atebit

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
@kort, IMHO a number of the questions in the survey were feelers to gauge interest in specific aspects of Tesla’s OTA paradigm (update tempo, velocity of new features , continuous improvement vs “scheduled” releases, etc.).

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I don't agree. Porsche should be careful what to update OTA and what to update by visit to PC. Any update that involves critical/safety driving system with re-calibration must be done at a PC.
I do not know the intricacies of the tech infrastructure of either car and what deficiencies might be inherent in the taycan system that would force porsche to abandon the OTA updates so soon into the life of the taycan.
I do know from hands on experience with teslas that tesla has pushed many complicated updates that changed many aspects of the operation of the cars without any severe consequences that you think are possible if porsche was able to send OTA updates in the same way.

the car was sold with the premise that OTA updates would be available and that tweaking various aspects of the car would be done via OTA updates rather than day(s) long visits to a service center.
the ability that tesla has is what I stated that porsche needs to study and try to emulate.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I got one and completed it yesterday.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
How about updates that just work? Doesn't matter what they are. Living in fear of f***u** is not a great option.

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
That’s it SMART

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag

I have gotten a bunch of map updates OTA, no flaws there.

I do agree Porsche has to do better especially regarding communication with the owners. They have a huge number of websites, why not set up an owner forum monitored by Porsche and only accessible by owners. With both private(for complaints) and public area.

What would really help is more insight in the internal operations of the many controllers in the car. I am still searching for an OBDII dongle that would give me that.

*Wishful thinking* One day we'll have a Porsche PCM app store. I for one will then make available an app that would allow real-time logging written to an USB drive. External apps can run in their own docker environment without interfering with Porsche apps.
No reason to go to the dealer, this is 2021, just keep/improve what the competition is doing
Sponsored