grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I loved my experience day so much I went back and did a Porsche performance day in my Taycan Turbo S. After another go on the kickplate skid pan, I was taken onto the Silverstone National circuit. The instructor said that I was the first person to take their Taycan on the Silverstone race circuit so now held the lap record!

I am now addicted and have been back to Silverstone on the full GP circuit. Its a very long track but the joy of being able to use the Porsche Experience 350 kW chargers was great. 152 mph down the Hangar Straight is also an experience.
Porsche Taycan Porsche Driving Experience @ Silverstone, UK - quick review Silverstone Reduced Size

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Amazing Graham, I might have to look to follow suit! Great picture too! :rock: :clap:
I've just phoned the SEC- apparently they're fully booked for this year for the 1-day Precision course, and also they still don't have any Taycans to offer for hire yet (I'm not brave enough to use my own).

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I've just phoned the SEC- apparently they're fully booked for this year for the 1-day Precision course, and also they still don't have any Taycans to offer for hire yet (I'm not brave enough to use my own).
Considering a 911 was £1750 for a day's hire from Silverstone PEC, a Taycan is going to be as much or more. And this is in addition to the £750 course fee. These are last year's prices.

I have to be honest. I think attending a well run track day with a decent instructor is as good as to what Porsche offers at Silverstone. My suggestion would be to come to a Goodwood Circuit track day and book a day's tuition. There is rapid charging available next to the paddock. You even get lunch included. Your car will be fine as its built to take it and you will not smash it up. There are strict rules around not overtaking on curves or braking zones, all of which is explained to you at the briefing and they are enforced by the marshals around the circuit. More details are here: -

https://www.goodwood.com/experiences/driving/goodwood-track-days/

Porsche Taycan Porsche Driving Experience @ Silverstone, UK - quick review IMG_0585.JPG

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Considering a 911 was £1750 for a day's hire from Silverstone PEC, a Taycan is going to be as much or more. And this is in addition to the £750 course fee. These are last year's prices.

I have to be honest. I think attending a well run track day with a decent instructor is as good as to what Porsche offers at Silverstone. My suggestion would be to come to a Goodwood Circuit track day and book a day's tuition. There is rapid charging available next to the paddock. You even get lunch included. Your car will be fine as its built to take it and you will not smash it up. There are strict rules around not overtaking on curves or braking zones, all of which is explained to you at the briefing and they are enforced by the marshals around the circuit. More details are here: -

https://www.goodwood.com/experiences/driving/goodwood-track-days/
Thanks for the info. I was guessing around £1000 to use their Taycan but even double that might be worth my peace of mind (especially if I'm allowed to take home what's left of the set of tyres 😁 ). But, having already been advised that I can't purchase a second go at the Experience that is "inclusive" on ordering a new vehicle, and that the standard retail Experience can't yet offer Taycans, I think my only option for some time will be to use my own vehicle....which terrifies me, despite your words of encouragement:)

Muu

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just got back from my free day at the SEC in a GTS ST.

Porsche Taycan Porsche Driving Experience @ Silverstone, UK - quick review IMG_20220805_120008

Initial impressions on the car were mixed, stonking straight line performance and wickedly sharp helm, but on the low traction surfaces with the traction control in what i was told was 'off' it was a world of grabbing brakes slapping down every input. Was left doubting my purchase, as sure you're not going to be driving on the lock stops on the road but you want a capable chassis under you rather than a so-so one covered in electronics (Tesla?).

I think the instructor picked up on that i was disappointed, and we headed back to the low friction area but this time with the systems properly off (long press to get 'psm off' rather than sport) and dial round to sports+. Wow, completely different car, mixture of the instant torque and fast steering meant you could hold it at big angles and transition from one side to the other at will. Much happier, it's clearly an exceptional chassis. Yeah there's loads of weight, but if you go slow in and fast out and V the corner off it's quite the thing.

I appreciate my comments are irrelevant for how 99% of owners drive and want a car.

Oh he are some other spec GTS i spotted in my stock area...

Porsche Taycan Porsche Driving Experience @ Silverstone, UK - quick review IMG_20220805_144256

Porsche Taycan Porsche Driving Experience @ Silverstone, UK - quick review IMG_20220805_144209

Porsche Taycan Porsche Driving Experience @ Silverstone, UK - quick review IMG_20220805_144321

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
Got my email but have been covid ridden since so looking forward to booking my day

OP
OP
kempez

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Just got back from my free day at the SEC in a GTS ST.

IMG_20220805_120008.jpg

Initial impressions on the car were mixed, stonking straight line performance and wickedly sharp helm, but on the low traction surfaces with the traction control in what i was told was 'off' it was a world of grabbing brakes slapping down every input. Was left doubting my purchase, as sure you're not going to be driving on the lock stops on the road but you want a capable chassis under you rather than a so-so one covered in electronics (Tesla?).

I think the instructor picked up on that i was disappointed, and we headed back to the low friction area but this time with the systems properly off (long press to get 'psm off' rather than sport) and dial round to sports+. Wow, completely different car, mixture of the instant torque and fast steering meant you could hold it at big angles and transition from one side to the other at will. Much happier, it's clearly an exceptional chassis. Yeah there's loads of weight, but if you go slow in and fast out and V the corner off it's quite the thing.

I appreciate my comments are irrelevant for how 99% of owners drive and want a car.

Oh he are some other spec GTS i spotted in my stock area...

IMG_20220805_144256.jpg

IMG_20220805_144209.jpg

IMG_20220805_144321.jpg
I started off very slowly and worked my way up to driving aids being off. The slippery stuff for me was more understanding how the car dealt with them with aids on and off because that’s how I’ll be driving on the actual road 90% of the time, but the track really showed how capable it was. I found the amount of pure mechanical grip was immense and almost stepping through and letting the car find the angles and then accelerating out was stunning, by the end. Anyway, glad you ended up positive 👍🏻

Last edited:
Reactions: Muu

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Anyone at PEC Silverstone this Wednesday morning 24th August?

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Quick update regarding the Porsche Track Experience - 1 day Precision Course mentioned upthread- the SEC can now provide Taycans, total price for course & car currently £1900 for Turbo variants, £1700 for other Taycans (or £760 if you are brave enough to use your own car).

adamuk73

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Confirmed they cannot "Please note spectating guests are unable to accompany you in car due to insurance purposes". Just as well, will save on sick bags.
Due to a mix up my wife was booked on a spectating slot rather than a driving slot but we managed to split the time between us on the day so I drove half the time and she drove the other half.

Englishtony2002

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hey, how long does this take? My daughter is F1 mad and wants to go, obviously she can’t drive but what is there for spectators?
I took my Son, who drove in the US since he was 15 but has never got his UK license (27 now). I asked our brilliant instructor Steve whether he could go out and he gave up most of his break to take my Son out for 20+ mins. Fantastic experience.
I was asked 2 questions
1. Have you driven EV before? "Yes Model S for 5 yrs"
2. Have you been on a track? "Yes i regularly track my Mk1 300bhp Audi TT"

Instructor: "Right then we have 2.5 hours to teach you have to drive as fast as possible around our track"

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I took my Son, who drove in the US since he was 15 but has never got his UK license (27 now). I asked our brilliant instructor Steve whether he could go out and he gave up most of his break to take my Son out for 20+ mins. Fantastic experience.
I was asked 2 questions
1. Have you driven EV before? "Yes Model S for 5 yrs"
2. Have you been on a track? "Yes i regularly track my Mk1 300bhp Audi TT"

Instructor: "Right then we have 2.5 hours to teach you have to drive as fast as possible around our track"
I did mine a couple of weeks ago. It was absolutely amazing. Similar experience - just focussed on gentle tuition and improvement.
I loved that at no point was I ever encouraged to go faster NOR slow down! We were overtaking 911's all the time and I felt I was really pushing it - was brilliant fun and learned a lot!
When we lined up the car so left side was on the 'ice road' and the right side on tarmac, then did an emergency stop completely hands off the wheel, it blew my mind!

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
total price for course & car currently £1900 for Turbo variants, £1700 for other Taycans (or £760 if you are brave enough to use your own car).
They are charging a lot for using their car but I would be quite fearful of taking mine on a track as I’ve not done track driving before. Are there temporary insurance policies which cover track use for my own car and are they cheaper than the £940 Porsche rental charge?
Sponsored