kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
I thought I'd post a very brief review of my experience going on the experience ;)

I'm a track day 'virgin', albeit I've been trying to get on one for a couple of years but have been foiled by COVID.

When I saw I'd have the opportunity to go to this, I was excited and I'll be honest: very slightly nervous. Not knowing what to expect and coming from a long, albeit comfy, drive in the family wagon (XC90 T8), I arrived at the Centre. First impressions were that it looks pretty cool. I've not been to Silverstone either (again it's on my list but never got round to it), so it was pretty great driving round the circuit exterior to get there, if a little coned off everywhere!

I've owned a few fast cars, some of which were a learning experience all of their own. But I'd never felt I'd got as much out of them as perhaps I could do. This was my chance!

It all started off well with nice food, good hospitality and a really nice relaxed atmosphere. I went alone due to my wife needing to cover childcare, as I wouldn't be back until 6PM (ish). The instructor was a really nice guy. I gave him a brief of how I'd not really driven an electric car properly before (test drive doesn't count), and basically just wanted to learn how to drive it to it's capabilities. The rest of the day was pretty epic to be honest. The ‘ice Hill’ and the kickplate/ice patch were great learning and both tracks are great fun. Got more and more confidence in the car and was buzzing around by the end.

Maybe because I went in with the attitude that I wanted to be taught how to drive the car, I feel 100% more confident I can drive it to its limits, or at least my limits and within the cars performance envelope. If that makes sense. I started relatively cautiously but by the end I was easily outpacing others in Taycan Turbo's, who were braking more or at least slowing more around corners. Not everyone of course (I'm not claiming to be Senna or anything), but the instructor was absolutely great and I feel fully prepared to get the car now.

They put me in a Taycan Turbo. Not the exact spec of what I'd ordered - it was a saloon, but the instructor said the difference would not be noticeable and certainly not on the real world on a road. The 'ice' driving was great fun and felt like it gives you the confidence to at least be a little armed in some more extreme situations: you know how the car will behave. Also the benefit of features like rear steer were obvious and I was glad I'd specified it.

Shout out to Rob, my instructor. He was really great and his advice, tips and encouragement built me up from cruising around relatively carefully, to the stage that by the end I just felt that I was 100x better armed to drive the car out of the showroom (whenever that will be! ;))

Only one minor mishap: the car had a bit of a grumble and went into limp mode briefly, late on in the session. I think being blasted all day, fast-charged and the 38ºC heat gave the battery cooling a bit of a workout. A couple of 'turn it off and on again', though, and it was back to normal.

Porsche Taycan Porsche Driving Experience @ Silverstone, UK - quick review IMG_3290

Porsche Taycan Porsche Driving Experience @ Silverstone, UK - quick review IMG_3291

Porsche Taycan Porsche Driving Experience @ Silverstone, UK - quick review IMG_3292

Porsche Taycan Porsche Driving Experience @ Silverstone, UK - quick review IMG_3293

Porsche Taycan Porsche Driving Experience @ Silverstone, UK - quick review IMG_3294

Porsche Taycan Porsche Driving Experience @ Silverstone, UK - quick review IMG_3295

Porsche Taycan Porsche Driving Experience @ Silverstone, UK - quick review IMG_3296

Porsche Taycan Porsche Driving Experience @ Silverstone, UK - quick review IMG_3298

Last edited:

SteveGTS

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Taycan on order
Country flag
I thought I'd post a very brief review of my experience going on the experience ;)

I'm a track day 'virgin', albeit I've been trying to get on one for a couple of years but have been foiled by COVID.

When I saw I'd have the opportunity to go to this, I was excited and I'll be honest: very slightly nervous. Not knowing what to expect and coming from a long, albeit comfy, drive in the family wagon (XC90 T8), I arrived at the Centre. First impressions were that it looks pretty cool. I've not been to Silverstone either (again it's on my list but never got round to it), so it was pretty great driving round the circuit exterior to get there, if a little coned off everywhere!

I've owned a few fast cars, some of which were a learning experience all of their own. But I'd never felt I'd got as much out of them as perhaps I could do. This was my chance!

It all started off well with nice food, good hospitality and a really nice relaxed atmosphere. I went alone due to my wife needing to cover childcare, as I wouldn't be back until 6PM (ish). The instructor was a really nice guy. I gave him a brief of how I'd not really driven an electric car properly before (test drive doesn't count), and basically just wanted to learn how to drive it to it's capabilities. The rest of the day was pretty epic to be honest. The ‘ice Hill’ and the kickplate/ice patch were great learning and both tracks are great fun. Got more and more confidence in the car and was buzzing around by the end.

Maybe because I went in with the attitude that I wanted to be taught how to drive the car, I feel 100% more confident I can drive it to its limits, or at least my limits and within the cars performance envelope. If that makes sense. I started relatively cautiously but by the end I was easily outpacing others in Taycan Turbo's, who were braking more or at least slowing more around corners. Not everyone of course (I'm not claiming to be Senna or anything), but the instructor was absolutely great and I feel fully prepared to get the car now.

They put me in a Taycan Turbo. Not the exact spec of what I'd ordered - it was a saloon, but the instructor said the difference would not be noticeable and certainly not on the real world on a road. The 'ice' driving was great fun and felt like it gives you the confidence to at least be a little armed in some more extreme situations: you know how the car will behave. Also the benefit of features like rear steer were obvious and I was glad I'd specified it.

Shout out to Rob, my instructor. He was really great and his advice, tips and encouragement built me up from cruising around relatively carefully, to the stage that by the end I just felt that I was 100x better armed to drive the car out of the showroom (whenever that will be! ;))

Only one minor mishap: the car had a bit of a grumble and went into limp mode briefly, late on in the session. I think being blasted all day, fast-charged and the 38ºC heat gave the battery cooling a bit of a workout. A couple of 'turn it off and on again', though, and it was back to normal.

IMG_3290.jpeg

IMG_3291.jpeg

IMG_3292.jpeg

IMG_3293.jpeg

IMG_3294.jpeg

IMG_3295.jpeg

IMG_3296.jpeg

IMG_3298.jpeg
Thanks for the writeup, sounds great, booked mine today for 21/11, my birthday 🎉

OP
OP
kempez

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the writeup, sounds great, booked mine today for 21/11, my birthday 🎉
no problems. Enjoy! I found having a good think about what I wanted out of it made a big difference to my mindset and allowed me to explain to the instructor what I wanted properly

Dan1210

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo.
Country flag
Hey, how long does this take? My daughter is F1 mad and wants to go, obviously she can’t drive but what is there for spectators?

OP
OP
kempez

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hey, how long does this take? My daughter is F1 mad and wants to go, obviously she can’t drive but what is there for spectators?
There’s a restaurant, several viewing areas and food and drink. Lots of cars to look at. I’m not sure what else you can book/do though, might be worth asking Porsche.

It’s quite a long session, 2.5 hours of driving time total, with a break in the middle for an afternoon tea/drinks. It is pretty cool and there’s stuff to see. Not sure how much of the circuit you can look around.

AV7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag

IMG_3290.jpeg

IMG_3291.jpeg

IMG_3292.jpeg

IMG_3293.jpeg

IMG_3294.jpeg

IMG_3295.jpeg

IMG_3296.jpeg

IMG_3298.jpeg
Thanks for the write up. I have mine next week but in LA and will be driving a taycan turbo and 911 turbo back to back, it will be interesting to see similarities and differences between the 2 cars

OP
OP
kempez

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the write up. I have mine next week but in LA and will be driving a taycan turbo and 911 turbo back to back, it will be interesting to see similarities and differences between the 2 cars
Yeah that will be really interesting, thanks. My instructor thought that a 911 Turbo just wasn’t usable on the roads over the rest of the 911 range, or certainly not more so than the 911 GTS, which he thought was the (drumroll), sweet spot. You can argue the same with the Taycan Turbo I guess, albeit maybe less difference in capability across model ranges. Anyway, be good to hear what you think. It’s worth noting that on the Silverstone circuit, there’s not a tonne of room to really open the cars up, given the out and out pace on offer from the top end cars. But still lots of room for lots of fun!

I thought I might miss the visceral engine - my last car was a 2019 C63 after all! But the capability and fun on offer from the Taycan had me grinning ear to ear.

darth_maul_80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 , Taycan GTS
Country flag

IMG_3290.jpeg

IMG_3291.jpeg

IMG_3292.jpeg

IMG_3293.jpeg

IMG_3294.jpeg

IMG_3295.jpeg

IMG_3296.jpeg

IMG_3298.jpeg
Did you go on Monday 18th July for the afternoon session?

we were there too!

my wife did this session as I did a previous one and she loved it! Echoed a lot of what you said

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I took my son so he could have a go too.
I had been going to Silverstone since I was a teenager, first as a fan then working.
I did the first session and my son the second. He had never driven anything that quick before and had a great time.

Having been driven around a lot of circuits by drivers I worked with* I am only too aware of the limits of my talent but I was impressed by the driver aids of the Taycan. Short of entering a corner far too fast the PSM stability control can deal with all my shortcomings!

I thought it was a superb day and, frankly, preventing me cancelling my order because I am fed up waiting.

* The most impressive were Carlos Reutemann round Brands Hatch and Keke Rosberg round the old Nurbergring.

Sadly the sort of fun we had testing in the old days of F1 are not available nowadays with almost no testing and huge teams.

OP
OP
kempez

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you go on Monday 18th July for the afternoon session?

we were there too!

my wife did this session as I did a previous one and she loved it! Echoed a lot of what you said
Yes it was that session:like: what car was she in?
Sponsored